Author Topic: Trump’s Labor nominee oversaw ‘sweetheart plea deal’ in billionaire’s underage sex case  (Read 3127 times)

geronl

President Donald Trump's new nominee for secretary of labor, Alexander Acosta, could face a grilling in the Senate over claims that — while he was the top federal prosecutor in Miami — he cut a sweetheart plea deal in 2008 with a billionaire investor accused of having sex with dozens of underage girls.

As the U.S. attorney for Southern Florida, Acosta agreed not to file any federal charges against the wealthy financier, Jeffrey Epstein, if he pled guilty to state charges involving soliciting prostitution and soliciting a minor for prostitution.

Epstein ultimately received an 18-month sentence in county jail and served about 13 months — treatment that provoked outrage from alleged victims in the case.

Soon after the deal was cut in 2008, two women filed suit claiming that the decision to forgo federal prosecution violated a federal law — the Crime Victims Rights Act — because they and other teenagers Epstein paid for sex were never adequately consulted about the plea deal or given an opportunity to object to it.
excerpted

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/alexander-acosta-trump-jeffrey-epstein-plea-235096

He did a solid for Trump and Clinton, now he gets his reward.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Well, the best the 'Crats could do was get him to admit that someone under his supervision did some things that were not good. Does that make me happy? Not really. If it happened under his supervision, he was responsible for the outcome. I suppose the issue is whether, relative to other offenses by nominees, his rise to the level of disqualifying.

We all might find out today, since the committee is scheduled to vote on whether to advance the nomination to the Senate or effectively kill it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that he'll go forward. The 'Crats have already killed one Labor nominee (Puzner) for what seemed to me to be strange, capricious reasons that were mostly bogus (they succeeded in proving no misdeeds, but only in harassing him horribly.  Puzner claimed (without providing many specifics because law enforcement is still investigating) that he withdrew because of threats and dirty dealings by 'Crat operatives targeting his family.  So if the 'Crats stop another, it starts to become more and more difficult as time goes on (one of the Unwritten Laws of the Cabinet Appointment Process).

To the central point regarding Epstein, the allegations of violations of law were not pressed by the 'Crats in the committee hearing, so I'm inclined to think that there was little or nothing to them. If there were, they would have pounded him on it.

It's possible that being a billionaire, Epstein had the brains to cover his tracks and of course had the best legal representation that money could buy. It's also possible that the girls involved chose not to participate in the process at their own request, which hardly constitutes "failure to consult" with them. Maybe they were contacted and never responded.

If the presence of smoke indicates fire, then does a lack of smoke indicate a lack of fire?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:13:07 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
It's possible that being a billionaire, Epstein had the brains to cover his tracks and of course had the best legal representation that money could buy. It's also possible that the girls involved chose not to participate in the process at their own request, which hardly constitutes "failure to consult" with them. Maybe they were contacted and never responded.

It's also possible that Bill Clinton and Epstein were buddies, which automatically generates a get out of jail free card.