Author Topic: Pro-Trump Singer Joy Villa Talks 'Overwhelming Support,' Hitting Top 10 Thanks to Grammys Dress  (Read 1033 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Pro-Trump Singer Joy Villa Talks 'Overwhelming Support,' Hitting Top 10 Thanks to Grammys Dress

2/17/2017  by Chris Willman

She says her three-year-old 'I Make the Static' EP now hitting the Billboard 200 is proof "people like to support those who support their beliefs."

The relatively unknown singer Joy Villa is getting something out of being associated with President Donald Trump that inauguration performer Jackie Evancho didn’t -- a top 10 album in the Billboard 200.

The woman who was the talk of the Grammy Awards red carpet for wearing a gown emblazoned with the words “Trump” and “Make America Great Again” sold 15,000 copies of a three-year-old EP, I Make the Static, over two days immediately following her startling appearance in the fashion parade. Even in the absence of Trump tweeting out any appreciation for the shout-out, right-leaning outlets like Fox & Friends and Breitbart helped steer conservatives to the project, marking the only time in memory -- and maybe in history -- in which a theretofore anonymous artist has had a top 10 debut solely as the result of making a political statement.

“This is beyond my wildest dreams right now,” Villa tells Billboard. “The spooky thing is that two weeks before the Grammys, I wrote down my goals and one of them was: ‘To be on the top of the Billboard charts with a song I wrote and performed.’ ... It's completely unheard of. I'm an indie, self-published performer who's mostly toured overseas and is completely self-funded, with a three-year-old album charting. I’ve always wanted to achieve this success; I just didn't expect it so sudden and so soon.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7694249/donald-trump-joy-villa-grammys-dress-top-10-interview
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:40:58 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

She's not considering that it wasn't her music that got her noticed and she will likely find her fame to be fleeting because of it unless she can suddenly sing like an Angel and write like the devil, the dress trick only works once. I wish her the best, but I think she's got disappointment in her future.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:11:11 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
She's not considering that it wasn't her music that got her noticed and she will likely find her fame to be fleeting because of it unless she can suddenly sing like an Angel and write like the devil, the dress trick only works once. I wish her the best, but I think she's got disappointment in her future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEpGr-nvCg

Most performers do fail. It is part of the game. I have a BIL that plays guitar just like the big, rich and famous stars. He's met a few. He plays and sings, for fun.

I think this 25 year old could have a future, if she has good producers. This song turned out well. IMO.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Norm Lenhart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEpGr-nvCg

Most performers do fail. It is part of the game. I have a BIL that plays guitar just like the big, rich and famous stars. He's met a few. He plays and sings, for fun.

I think this 25 year old could have a future, if she has good producers. This song turned out well. IMO.

She has a nice voice and can hold a tune but I really don't see 'star' there. Too much pronunciation and not enough flow in her delivery IMOFWIW.

And trying to do Freddie Mercury is one tall order for anyone. (Don't even get me started about the American idle guy Queen took out on tour).

Best Freddie I've heard to date was The Protomen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRthvdmvpi0

geronl

This is how shallow Trump supporters are.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I bought her album.

Like her voice.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

The gullible are easily fooled