Author Topic: Texas Lt. Governor says Houston marijuana policy creates “sanctuary city” of drug crimes  (Read 1315 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Cannabis Report  Stephen Carter 2/17/2017

Following the announcement by Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg that her office would no longer arrest or prosecute most marijuana possession cases, Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick has sharply criticized the new policy which affects Houston and the surrounding areas.

“The lieutenant governor has said repeatedly regarding sanctuary cities that he does not believe that law enforcement has the discretion to choose what laws to enforce and what laws to ignore,” said Patrick press secretary Alejandro Garcia as reported by the Houston Chronicle. “That is his position regarding DA Ogg’s proposal.”

The policy, which goes into effect March 1, means that those found with less than four ounces of marijuana will not be arrested, ticketed, or required to appear in court if they agree to take a four-hour drug-education class.

Sen. John Whitmire (D-Houston) who chairs the Senate’s criminal justice committee that oversees criminal laws, said he supports the change as ‘well thought up and tough.

“I respect the opinions of the law enforcement stakeholders, and think this will allow them to focus their attention on more serious crimes like burglary of vehicles, burglary of homes, drug trafficking and high-level violent crimes,” said. “This is not turning us into Colorado. It’s just being tough and smart on these lowest-level crimes that can be addressed in other ways besides sending people to jail.”

Ogg’s statement came the same day that Rep. Joe Moody (D-El Paso) held a press conference at the capitol where several current and former members of law enforcement supported his bill, HB 81, which would decrease the penalty for possession of an ounce of marijuana, making it a ticket not to exceed $250.

http://txcann.com/texas-lt-governor-says-houston-marijuana-policy-creates-sanctuary-city-drug-crimes/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I have complained to Police about general relaxation of enforcement against homeless in my Orange County, Calif.  town.

They say the voters decriminalized marijuana, and made theft a minor misdemeanor, so effectively the police have been relegated to pursue only serious crimes.

Don't worry about the small stuff.

Law and order advocates, such as myself, believe this policy leads to problems longer term.

A variation on "broken window" effects.

The police agree with me, but claim their hands are tied.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln