Author Topic: GE to employ 20,000 women to end ''male dominance'' in STEM fields  (Read 2095 times)

Offline JannTosh

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/andrew-eicher/ge-employ-20000-women-bid-end-male-dominance-stem-fields

General Electric (GE) plans to employ 20,000 women in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) jobs by 2020 because the “male dominated” sectors are suffering from a “talent crisis for women,” the company said in a Feb. 8 announcement.

The goal is to obtain a “50:50” gender representation for all “technical entry-level programs,” a strategy GE claims is “necessary to inject urgency into addressing ongoing gender imbalance in technical fields.”

The announcement states that only 14% of engineers and 25% of IT professionals are women, according to the U.S. Bureau of Statistics. The company expects that a continued lack of women in such fields will affect productivity and diminish “the potential of digital and other new technologies.”

GE’s announcement coincides with their release of a white paper  entitled Engineering the Future: The Socio-Economic Case for Gender Equality.

The paper blames the gender imbalance in STEM jobs on the “vicious cycle of expectations” in education, as well as the “lack of role models” women have in STEM industries.

Female employees of GE in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

(AP and GE Annual Report, 2013)
“The low percentage of women” holding STEM jobs “implies that female students are less likely to consider those sectors,” reads the paper, “and they have fewer female role models to inspire them to choose a career in tech.”

A failure to address this, GE wrote, “is like leaving money on the table – it creates a substantial economic cost.” To rectify the situation, “companies, governments, and other organizations” must “work together to put the right system of incentives and support mechanisms in place.”

GE’s “holistic approach” to bridging the gender gap includes expanding the pool of universities from which GE recruits talent, “with more focus on institutions that have a contemporary gender mix.” GE will also offer “benefits that foster an inclusive culture,” including parental leave and childcare.

Simply attracting women to STEM careers is not enough, however. “Retaining and promoting female workers in a so far male-dominated field is the next step in addressing this issue,” says GE.

Good idea or should people stop worrying about how many of a certain race or gender is in a certain field?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: GE to employ 20,000 women to end ''male dominance'' in STEM fields
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/andrew-eicher/ge-employ-20000-women-bid-end-male-dominance-stem-fields

Good idea or should people stop worrying about how many of a certain race or gender is in a certain field?

This isn't discrimination?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:19:30 pm »
Fine by me...women have taken over the accounting industry. The agency that I work at is 60% women, six of the 7 supervisors in the office are female, as are the Regional & Deputy Regional Director, and the head of the Agency (she's the best of the bunch).

It took me six months to get moved to a different section. My previous supervisor has documented difficulties with male subordinates. Her section now has 3 auditors, every other section has 5-7. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

In my new section, I'm finally doing work that actually means something...couldn't say that for my first two years. Really depressing at times.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:22:32 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »

This isn't discrimination?

What could go wrong.  Every 28 days the blood will flow and productivity will go in the tank.  every nine months half of them will be out on maternity leave.  The toilets will overflow daily from being plugged up with tampons.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:32:49 pm »
Strange. Maybe GE should focus on hiring the best people available so they could produce better products that people want.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:33:45 pm »
When can we end the dominance of SJWs in positions of power? In the meantime, companies like Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Pratt Whitney and other direct competitors will gladly scoop up the market-share that GE sacrifices to political correctness.

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:39:22 pm »
No problem. Just show up in a dress.

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:41:24 pm »
How about this:

If a female wants to pursue a career in a STEM field, great.  If she doesn't, equally great.  Stop pushing people of whatever sex/race/ethnicity to seek out certain jobs.  Let them do it if they naturally want it, and if the ratios end up 90-10 or 50-50, the world will turn on, either way.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »
No problem. Just show up in a dress.

I'm game.  Where.

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »

What could go wrong.  Every 28 days the blood will flow and productivity will go in the tank.  every nine months half of them will be out on maternity leave.  The toilets will overflow daily from being plugged up with tampons.

@Wingnut

Which is one reason I like not working outside the house anymore.  I can have those days of no productivity.   :tongue2:

Toilets overflowing with.....who does that?   :chairbang:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 09:47:07 pm »
How about this:

If a female wants to pursue a career in a STEM field, great.  If she doesn't, equally great.  Stop pushing people of whatever sex/race/ethnicity to seek out certain jobs.  Let them do it if they naturally want it, and if the ratios end up 90-10 or 50-50, the world will turn on, either way.
But that would devastate the left's propaganda/social experimentation!!!! Clearly you are a self hating woman. In fact, no REAL woman would say such a thing. The feminazis are clear on that. You must be "Bill" just pretending to be female so as to advance the power of the patriarchy!

/SJW

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:47:56 pm »
I'm game.  Where.

Rest areas on Thursdays, Truck Stops on Fridays remember?

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:20 pm »
Rest areas on Thursdays, Truck Stops on Fridays remember?

Break out my "Lot Lizard" garb!    cool.

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 09:54:32 pm »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:34 pm »
Break out my "Lot Lizard" garb!    cool.

Express yourself! Be the woman you know you can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpu_PV3BTfI

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:09 pm »
But that would devastate the left's propaganda/social experimentation!!!! Clearly you are a self hating woman. In fact, no REAL woman would say such a thing. The feminazis are clear on that. You must be "Bill" just pretending to be female so as to advance the power of the patriarchy!

/SJW

@Norm Lenhart

If you want an example of what "real" women are currently up to, google "free bleeding yoga instructor."  It's so bad I can't even bring myself to post a link.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:56 pm »
Strange. Maybe GE should focus on hiring the best people available so they could produce better products that people want.

Why, that approach would never work in today's economy!

Just in case, the above comment was typed in a sarcastic tone.  :thud:
Let it burn.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:19 pm »
@Norm Lenhart

If you want an example of what "real" women are currently up to, google "free bleeding yoga instructor."  It's so bad I can't even bring myself to post a link.

The Free Bleeder thing was a hoax a couple years back...until some particularly insane leftists actually took it up as a real cause. THAT is how nuts they are. Some of them actually said 'Yes, this is a real problem/issue/cause to rally behind'

geronl

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 10:35:01 pm »
The Free Bleeder thing was a hoax a couple years back...until some particularly insane leftists actually took it up as a real cause. THAT is how nuts they are. Some of them actually said 'Yes, this is a real problem/issue/cause to rally behind'

You cannot parody them, nobody what insane leftist thing you make up - they will do it for real

geronl

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 10:35:55 pm »
Why, that approach would never work in today's economy!

Just in case, the above comment was typed in a sarcastic tone.  :thud:

We should have a sarcasm font. Or maybe Comic Sans would work.

EDIT: doesn't work on my Linux apparently
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:36:54 pm by geronl »

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 10:44:33 pm »

Schenectady.

That always sounded like a social disease not a town!..

geronl

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:02 pm »
If the purpose of GE is to "end male dominance", then making a profit becomes less of a priority. They should check out how this ends, with bankruptcy.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:32 am »

We should have a sarcasm font. Or maybe Comic Sans would work.

EDIT: doesn't work on my Linux apparently

FWIW, the Comic Sans showed up on my Windows Firefox browser.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 01:13:40 am »
FWIW, the Comic Sans showed up on my Windows Firefox browser.   :shrug:

It says Comic Sans MS (I guess it's a Windows-only thing)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 01:14:15 am »

Get those women off the streets !
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.