Author Topic: Fight on, conservatives! Why you cannot afford to disengage from the culture war  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That's definitely part of the problem.  But there are ways to hit a home run and still come across as a nice guy (see Reagan).  For example, "Let me make sure I understand you correctly, Juan, in your opinion the sheer number of executive orders is more important than the contents of the executive orders."

And Juan Williams would respond with something such as, "No, no, that is not what I meant at all".  To which I would say, "Now I'm really confused.  And we have a few million viewers out there that I'm sure could use an explanation as well because I know what you just said."

Personally, I'm horrible at such things because I'm way too blunt.  But being crafty is not my job, though I've been known to play dumb a time or two when it suited the purpose.  The point being most people will talk on and on forever when given the opportunity, and when it comes to Liberals they have a knack for tying themselves into knots.  Lacking any underlying principles they have no place to go but to talk themselves into a corner.  You just have to sit back and give them the space to do so.

-----

Which brings me to Charles Krauthammer.  Now I know for a fact that when it comes to knives in the drawer he is one of the sharpest.  But he sits there night after night and quietly holds his tongue as Liberal babblers spew out nonsense.  Yes, he will shift in his wheelchair when it all becomes too painful and he often frowns in disgust, but it's hard to tell when he's frowning unless you pay close attention.  And without a doubt he occasionally pokes at the Liberals with something along the lines, "I disagree.  You stated . . . "  Then at the end he gives them the raised eyebrow - you don't want the raised eyebrow from the professor.

But that is his job.  He gets paid good money by Fox to sit there and quietly wait his turn to provide his opinion.  That is the format chosen by Fox.  If he became more combative, even in a pleasant and eloquent way, it would disrupt the Fox template.  In my opinion that is a Fox problem, not a Krauthammer problem.

When he comes on the O'Reilly show Krauthammer is allowed more freedom to operate outside of that standard template.  And when given the chance to make his case he does so very well, taking advantage of the opportunity.  But he rarely is given that chance because O'Reilly is such a bully and a boor.  Again, that is a Fox problem, not a Krauthammer problem.

So again, it seems to me Conservatives take the long way around and it is completely unnecessary.  In the case of Fox News their format is to be the People magazine of conservative news.  Hit the highlights, describe the latest fashions, who's designer dress is this star wearing, and wrap it all up in a nice neat bow.  It is hardly the free exchange of ideas.

-----

Now there are exceptions of course.  And if you will notice the pattern it is usually the women on Fox News who are asking all the right questions, not the men.

I hear you and suffer from the far too direct disease myself.  I wouldn't last the first day as a commentator on ANY network because of that. Charles knows that if he says what he's really thinking too often he will be outta there so fast it will make his head swim!  Fair and balanced and all of that malarkey!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Are conservatives simply to polite to whack the softballs out of the park or is it something else?

Republicans have largely been bullied into silence and a bunch of self-identifying "Conservatives" are liberal themselves or agree with several major planks of the liberal agenda (Homo Marriage, Abortion, Climate Change, etc.). 

Trump gave the bulk of them a voice amidst the filter of the MSM, but has led them to tracks that do not lead to Conservatism.

The so-called "Conservatives" in the media who live in the Beltway - I do not consider to be Conservative at all.  They are cheerleaders for the oligarchy and 'the system'.  Read their columns if their TeeVee time befuddles you as to whether they are muzzled or not.

You will find that they had more positive things to say about Obama's dictatorship and the 'politics' surrounding his agenda in comparison to the hard-hitting rants they have flung at the Conservatives in the Primary - and at Trump since his nomination.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline MajorClay

Party on Wayne...