Author Topic: Fight on, conservatives! Why you cannot afford to disengage from the culture war  (Read 2021 times)

Online libertybele

Fight on, conservatives! Why you cannot afford to disengage from the culture war

The pervasive problem of radical progressivism has led to a modern decline in true tolerance of differing opinions in American society. Now is a time for conservatives to defend their beliefs and engage in civil discourse, no matter how impossible these feats may seem.

Christian author Billy Hallowell recently spoke with Conservative Review about the modern effort to abolish free speech and his unique approach to combatting it.

According to Hallowell, the battle of ideas takes place in three major realms: the media, the entertainment industry, and higher education. Because these spheres are dominated by a liberal progressive worldview, conservatives and Christians are often tempted to disengage.

“There really is a progressive privilege in the media, in Hollywood, and in universities where these people get to enjoy having their views heralded and held up and continuously spouted out by the people in those arenas. Whereas conservatives and Christians don't enjoy that privilege,” Hallowell told CR...

According to Hallowell, the biggest threat facing Americans today is widespread complacency, which he defines as “taking at face value everything that we're hearing,” whether it’s in the news, the classroom, or the movies we watch.

In one sense, moral decline is a prominent and rather normal element of the human narrative. But Hallowell believes that our current crisis has unique features that help to explain its potency and ubiquity.

We are living in an age of information, where the average American spends more time in front of a screen than almost anything else. Because of this, the left-leaning media and entertainment industry have easy, perpetual access to a wide audience.

“The information that is coming to us is coming at such a rapid rate now that it's impossible to avoid it,” Hallowell said.

He explained that the “triangular dominance” of media, Hollywood, and universities has contributed to a common language and a worldview vehemently opposed to questioning of any kind. Conservatives cannot afford to disengage, he said, because “free speech is what's on the chopping block here.”...

- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2017/02/fight-on-conservatives-why-you-cannot-afford-to-disengage-from-the-culture-war#sthash.Ie6699FG.dpuf
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
@Hondo69 @bigheadfred @Doug Loss @don-o @Smokin Joe

Something of interest. Touches on points we've been discussing on various threads.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Norm Lenhart

Conservatives arent going to win the culture war or any other war until they recognize that the ranks are filled with liberals championing the 'right to choose', importing Sharia, gay 'rights' and several other issues wholly contrary to conservatism and constitutional governance. We have people openly claiming 'principle is the problem' when situational ethics is the polar opposite of conservative thought. And many others don't see the inherent problem.

"Clean your own house"/"Physician heal thyself". These are things that conservatism has to think about and act on constructively before having a prayer of fixing what ails something besides ourselves. As it stands, all many conservatives do is make excuses for how we can't because someone will be offended/we can't judge and a bunch of similar nonsense.

Our problem is within.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Our problem is within.

That's one problem. Another, even more serious one is covered in

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/13/todays-riot-prone-mobs-product-americas-cult-like-education-system/#.WKGurqqZR8k.twitter

All of us who have paying attention will not find any shocking revelations. But, it's a very good piece that paints a darker pic than usual. "Education reform" is firmly established as the established stste religion / cult.

Destroying Our Education System Got Us Here

Let’s face it. Today’s street theater is the culmination of decades of radical education revision. The radical Left’s systematic attack on the study of Western Civilization has essentially been an attack against the study of any and all civil societies. It is an attack on the features that make a society civil and free. Those features include freedom of expression, civil discourse, the Socratic method of figuring out truth, value of the individual, and a common knowledge of the classics of history and literature that help us understand what’s universal in the human experience. All of that had to go.

Now, as we see students marching to demonize as “fascists” proponents of free speech, their ignorance is in full view. This is really a full frontal attack on the rule of law, the Constitution, and a system of checks and balances that guards against the consolidation of centralized power.

That’s the whole point of the education these students have been fed. In fact, a lot of 1960s agitators, including domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, decided to place their bets on radical education revision. For at least 40 years, Ayers has been devoted to transforming schools from places of actual education to places of coercive thought reform. As Andrew McCarthy recently pointed out in National Review: “It was a comfy fit for him and many of his confederates, once it dawned on them that indoctrination inside the schoolhouse was more effective than blowing up the schoolhouse.”

Offline Norm Lenhart

That's one problem. Another, even more serious one is covered in

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/13/todays-riot-prone-mobs-product-americas-cult-like-education-system/#.WKGurqqZR8k.twitter

All of us who have paying attention will not find any shocking revelations. But, it's a very good piece that paints a darker pic than usual. "Education reform" is firmly established as the established stste religion / cult.

Thats certainly a problem. But again, to fix that, conservatives need to begin with the guy sitting next to them opposing the basics of conservative governance.

Yea we need to fix education. 100% agreement. But that is a fight for after getting the collective poop together. It's a first principles thing made all the more urgent because the 'problem' opposes principles (and says so) and hates principled people/considers them the problem. It's a simple point to consider. What are the odds of success that a movement/philosophy based on adherence to principle is filled with people opposed to the platform?

The logical course of action is to divest the movement of it's opponents. Any other course results in the failure of conservatism as you simply cannot have your opponents in your wheelhouse steering you into a rock.

Offline roamer_1

The logical course of action is to divest the movement of it's opponents. Any other course results in the failure of conservatism as you simply cannot have your opponents in your wheelhouse steering you into a rock.

That's right. Liberalism wins, not on it's merit, but because it has no opposition.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Conservatives arent going to win the culture war or any other war until they recognize that the ranks are filled with liberals championing the 'right to choose', importing Sharia, gay 'rights' and several other issues wholly contrary to conservatism and constitutional governance. We have people openly claiming 'principle is the problem' when situational ethics is the polar opposite of conservative thought. And many others don't see the inherent problem.

"Clean your own house"/"Physician heal thyself". These are things that conservatism has to think about and act on constructively before having a prayer of fixing what ails something besides ourselves. As it stands, all many conservatives do is make excuses for how we can't because someone will be offended/we can't judge and a bunch of similar nonsense.

Our problem is within.

Some truth in that.  Conservatives tend to want to be nice guys and kind to others.
A former priest of mine posted a horrible diatribe on Facebook yesterday.

I know he is a snob and an elitist but this was beyond the pale.  I copied it. 

But I posted a reply attacking him for his hysterical post and later I felt bad about doing so.

But I know that he still feels quite virtuous and not at all sorry.

Guess that's the difference.

Do we want to change into 'them?'  Do we need to?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Some truth in that.  Conservatives tend to want to be nice guys and kind to others.

But I posted a reply attacking him for his hysterical post and later I felt bad about doing so.

No. We wasted enough of this country already trying and failing. They do not want to or intend to change. And we need to stop caring about them and getting along and fixing them and the rest of the wastes of time and effort. We need to be rid of them. Let them go their way and once they are where they belong, on the left, oppose them there.

Invariably we will see someone pop up screeching about purges and McCarthyism but thats exactly what's needed. Alexander Hamilton wasn't mistaken. Better an enemy in their camp than ours.

Online libertybele

Exactly.  Taking a look at just the election it is the left that are rioting, it is the left in our government obstructing the turns President Trump is trying to make, it is the left that is holding up nominating his cabinet choices, it is the left that is creating fake news and it is the left that is funding opposition to President Trump and trying to take him down.  Meanwhile ... we continue to be nice and go through the process of countering the opposition the right way.

Do we need to change into them?  As time continues on it sure seems that if things continue on our current path, we will have two choices; US or them.  An all out revolution at this juncture is starting to seem inevitable....perhaps that's why we remain nice because that's what we really are trying to avoid.  Just my humble opinion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
There is something that has been running through my mind. It is a short course so this won't take long.

Personal Responsibility.

Amongst ourselves and shoved into the appropriate orifice of those who resist.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Right_in_Virginia

No. We wasted enough of this country already trying and failing. They do not want to or intend to change. And we need to stop caring about them and getting along and fixing them and the rest of the wastes of time and effort. We need to be rid of them. Let them go their way and once they are where they belong, on the left, oppose them there.

Invariably we will see someone pop up screeching about purges and McCarthyism but thats exactly what's needed. Alexander Hamilton wasn't mistaken. Better an enemy in their camp than ours.

I lost your train of thought @Norm Lenhart   Who do we need to be rid of?

Offline Norm Lenhart

I lost your train of thought @Norm Lenhart   Who do we need to be rid of?
People working to advance liberalism regardless of what they claim to be or who they claim to have voted for. Conservatism isn't rocket science, nor is it some nebulous hard to grasp concept. No one will ever agree completely on everything but when core issues of conservatism are actively being campaigned against by 'conservatives' odds are there is a problem that needs correcting.

For a long time conservatives have followed the GOP party platform that while imperfect, is a fairly solid guide. We could do without people working against it's contents. National security/LEGAL immigration, Pro Life, Pro America. Principle. Integrity. Not the Special Snowflake crap that has gutted the movement.

And if that gores someone/anyone's ox, so be it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Because the Left has gone virtually unchallenged for 40-plus years, and they have essentially WON the culture wars - the institutional rights of entitlement and rulership are now wholly accepted as inalienable.

That means they are NOT going to be persuaded by any arguments we may make, nor will they accept reasonable terms of accommodation or compromise.

In short, they will engage in violence and bloodshed to ensure their entitlements and demands are met, and those who are their masters in politics will incite them to thus.

3 Generations waited too long to arrest where we have now been taken.  So IMO, the die is already cast and each day confirms the fact that the body politick can no longer co-exist together peaceably.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Fantom

I have not disengaged..... I just charge pREgresive/marxist/left..and moslems.. twice what I charge Humans.

A Simple Bricklayer
Bill.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Both Good and Evil use the same tools sometimes.

WWII would have a far different ending were it not so.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
For so long as I continue to breathe I will NEVER disengage! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Because the Left has gone virtually unchallenged for 40-plus years, and they have essentially WON the culture wars - the institutional rights of entitlement and rulership are now wholly accepted as inalienable.

That means they are NOT going to be persuaded by any arguments we may make, nor will they accept reasonable terms of accommodation or compromise.

In short, they will engage in violence and bloodshed to ensure their entitlements and demands are met, and those who are their masters in politics will incite them to thus.

3 Generations waited too long to arrest where we have now been taken.  So IMO, the die is already cast and each day confirms the fact that the body politick can no longer co-exist together peaceably.

Love the optimism.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Love the optimism.

Optimism? I got so caught up in the sentimentalism I missed it. Dang it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Love the optimism.

I watched a lot of people consumed with optimism, get destroyed wholesale by reality.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Norm Lenhart

I watched a lot of people consumed with optimism, get destroyed wholesale by reality.

"Optimism" and  "Hoping for change" are one and the same. "Optimism" just a prettier word.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
"Optimism" and  "Hoping for change" are one and the same. "Optimism" just a prettier word.

It's also a word people use to excuse acute Normalcy Bias.

This current culture and the word optimism are mutually exclusive.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
@Hondo69 @bigheadfred @Doug Loss @don-o @Smokin Joe

Something of interest. Touches on points we've been discussing on various threads.

Yes it sure does.  Things always seem to circle back around.

It just seems to me Conservatives take the long way around and it is completely unnecessary.  Flip on the TV or scan a few articles online and you'll see the same old pattern.  Conservatives react to some event from the Left by offering up a half assed counter argument, which usually misses the big picture completely.  And they allow themselves to be drug into the gutter while doing so.

This tendency to dwell on minutia allows arguments to appear trivial to the general public.  On a daily basis the Left serves up softballs right over home plate but more often than not Conservatives allow the opportunity to pass right on by.  They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

-----

Fox's show The Five is very popular and has high ratings from what I understand.  To me, it is almost unwatchable.  The people on the show seem decent enough and I'm sure they would make fine dinner company.  I just find it frustrating they can dance all around a topic and never hone in on the key principles.

I've watched the panel complain about an Obama executive order and someone will eventually get around to noting his pattern of going around Congress.  Then Juan Williams will offer up the softball by stating, "Obama has issued fewer executive orders than Bush".  No one stops him and points out it is a nonsensical point and he should be slapped into the middle of next week for making it.  They just let it drift on by as if it had merit.  On the other hand it would be the easiest thing in the world to turn to Juan and ask a simple question: "Are you equating quantity with quality?"

Now Juan Williams is put in the indefensible position of trying to make the case that all executive orders are created equally.  Of course it is a case he cannot make and he'll realize he's trapped himself into a corner.  As he tries to weasel out of the corner hit him again by stating, "renaming a post office is hardly equivalent to changing tax code for the entire nation".  It reinforces the point to the viewer at home and also puts Juan Williams on notice - don't be pulling any more Liberal chicken sh*t arguments out of your ass that don't hold water.

-----

A simple question is all it takes - "Are you equating quantity with quality?"  Just stop and think of how many times a simple question would serve a much better purpose than rambling on for a few minutes and spending time in the Liberal gutter.

What's so great about terrorism?

Are you opposed to free speech?

When is the last time a Democrat complained about the cost of anything?

Why are you opposed to the freedom to choose?

Just ask the question stupid and get the hell out of the way.  Liberals will hang themselves every time if you give them enough rope.  It's not about you and how many minutes of air time you get per episode.  Quit being your own worst enemy and hit the softball out of the park.

There is a cure for diarrhea of the mouth - just pull out some old tapes of Reagan and pay close attention.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Elegant - and sadly accurate.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Yes it sure does.  Things always seem to circle back around.

It just seems to me Conservatives take the long way around and it is completely unnecessary.  Flip on the TV or scan a few articles online and you'll see the same old pattern.  Conservatives react to some event from the Left by offering up a half assed counter argument, which usually misses the big picture completely.  And they allow themselves to be drug into the gutter while doing so.

This tendency to dwell on minutia allows arguments to appear trivial to the general public.  On a daily basis the Left serves up softballs right over home plate but more often than not Conservatives allow the opportunity to pass right on by.  They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

-----

Fox's show The Five is very popular and has high ratings from what I understand.  To me, it is almost unwatchable.  The people on the show seem decent enough and I'm sure they would make fine dinner company.  I just find it frustrating they can dance all around a topic and never hone in on the key principles.

I've watched the panel complain about an Obama executive order and someone will eventually get around to noting his pattern of going around Congress.  Then Juan Williams will offer up the softball by stating, "Obama has issued fewer executive orders than Bush".  No one stops him and points out it is a nonsensical point and he should be slapped into the middle of next week for making it.  They just let it drift on by as if it had merit.  On the other hand it would be the easiest thing in the world to turn to Juan and ask a simple question: "Are you equating quantity with quality?"

Now Juan Williams is put in the indefensible position of trying to make the case that all executive orders are created equally.  Of course it is a case he cannot make and he'll realize he's trapped himself into a corner.  As he tries to weasel out of the corner hit him again by stating, "renaming a post office is hardly equivalent to changing tax code for the entire nation".  It reinforces the point to the viewer at home and also puts Juan Williams on notice - don't be pulling any more Liberal chicken sh*t arguments out of your ass that don't hold water.

-----

A simple question is all it takes - "Are you equating quantity with quality?"  Just stop and think of how many times a simple question would serve a much better purpose than rambling on for a few minutes and spending time in the Liberal gutter.

What's so great about terrorism?

Are you opposed to free speech?

When is the last time a Democrat complained about the cost of anything?

Why are you opposed to the freedom to choose?

Just ask the question stupid and get the hell out of the way.  Liberals will hang themselves every time if you give them enough rope.  It's not about you and how many minutes of air time you get per episode.  Quit being your own worst enemy and hit the softball out of the park.

There is a cure for diarrhea of the mouth - just pull out some old tapes of Reagan and pay close attention.

Are conservatives simply to polite to whack the softballs out of the park or is it something else? 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Are conservatives simply too polite to whack the softballs out of the park or is it something else?

That's definitely part of the problem.  But there are ways to hit a home run and still come across as a nice guy (see Reagan).  For example, "Let me make sure I understand you correctly, Juan, in your opinion the sheer number of executive orders is more important than the contents of the executive orders."

And Juan Williams would respond with something such as, "No, no, that is not what I meant at all".  To which I would say, "Now I'm really confused.  And we have a few million viewers out there that I'm sure could use an explanation as well because I know what you just said."

Personally, I'm horrible at such things because I'm way too blunt.  But being crafty is not my job, though I've been known to play dumb a time or two when it suited the purpose.  The point being most people will talk on and on forever when given the opportunity, and when it comes to Liberals they have a knack for tying themselves into knots.  Lacking any underlying principles they have no place to go but to talk themselves into a corner.  You just have to sit back and give them the space to do so.

-----

Which brings me to Charles Krauthammer.  Now I know for a fact that when it comes to knives in the drawer he is one of the sharpest.  But he sits there night after night and quietly holds his tongue as Liberal babblers spew out nonsense.  Yes, he will shift in his wheelchair when it all becomes too painful and he often frowns in disgust, but it's hard to tell when he's frowning unless you pay close attention.  And without a doubt he occasionally pokes at the Liberals with something along the lines, "I disagree.  You stated . . . "  Then at the end he gives them the raised eyebrow - you don't want the raised eyebrow from the professor.

But that is his job.  He gets paid good money by Fox to sit there and quietly wait his turn to provide his opinion.  That is the format chosen by Fox.  If he became more combative, even in a pleasant and eloquent way, it would disrupt the Fox template.  In my opinion that is a Fox problem, not a Krauthammer problem.

When he comes on the O'Reilly show Krauthammer is allowed more freedom to operate outside of that standard template.  And when given the chance to make his case he does so very well, taking advantage of the opportunity.  But he rarely is given that chance because O'Reilly is such a bully and a boor.  Again, that is a Fox problem, not a Krauthammer problem.

So again, it seems to me Conservatives take the long way around and it is completely unnecessary.  In the case of Fox News their format is to be the People magazine of conservative news.  Hit the highlights, describe the latest fashions, who's designer dress is this star wearing, and wrap it all up in a nice neat bow.  It is hardly the free exchange of ideas.

-----

Now there are exceptions of course.  And if you will notice the pattern it is usually the women on Fox News who are asking all the right questions, not the men.