Author Topic: Venezuela now leads US asylum requests as crisis deepens  (Read 1037 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Venezuela now leads US asylum requests as crisis deepens
« on: February 12, 2017, 04:19:03 pm »
Venezuela now leads US asylum requests as crisis deepens

By JOSHUA GOODMAN

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- Venezuelans for the first time led asylum requests to the United States as the country's middle class fled the crashing, oil-dependent economy.

Data from the U.S. government's Citizenship and Immigration Services show that 18,155 Venezuelans submitted asylum requests last year, a 150 percent increase over 2015 and six times the level seen in 2014. China was second place, with 17,745 requests coming from citizens of that country.

Venezuela first cracked the top 10 asylum-seeking nations following months of sometimes bloody street protests in early 2014 seeking to oust President Nicolas Maduro.

more at:  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_VENEZUELA_US_ASYLUM?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-12-00-02-17

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

geronl

Re: Venezuela now leads US asylum requests as crisis deepens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:34:48 pm »
That is interesting

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:46:53 pm »
Cuba, the sequel.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:31:28 pm »
Get that wall construction underway, pronto.

I'll bet half of Venezuela's population would set out for el Norte if they thought they had a chance...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:18 pm »
Get that wall construction underway, pronto.

I'll bet half of Venezuela's population would set out for el Norte if they thought they had a chance...
They'll come here for the toilet paper...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »
People are starving, it is getting really bad down there.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 03:46:41 pm »
And not a one should be granted! NOT ONE!

Terror Threat: Venezuela Has Been Selling Official Passports to Anyone Willing To Pay...In Iraq

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2017/02/09/surprise-venezuala-has-been-giving-passport-to-people-with-terror-ties-for-years-n2283550
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien