Author Topic: Giddy WashPost Suggests 'SNL' Can 'Destroy' Spicer, Even Get Trump to Resign  (Read 1735 times)

rangerrebew

Giddy WashPost Suggests 'SNL' Can 'Destroy' Spicer, Even Get Trump to Resign
By Tim Graham | February 8, 2017 | 9:14 PM EST
shares

The Washington Post is joining the liberal chorus of wishful thinkers that Melissa McCarthy’s Sean Spicer impression might damage Spicer and Donald Trump. The headline was "These punchlines can leave a bruise: Anti-Trump comedians can't wait to take aim now that Melissa McCarthy's biting Spicer sendup has reportedly gotten under the president's skin."

Post reporter Elahe Izadi – who pitches herself as a stand-up comedian on the side – set out to promote anonymously-sourced stories of Trump unrest over the skit, and find leftist comedians who wished and hoped the NBC comedy show could convince President Trump to resign. Izadi oozed:

Melissa McCarthy’s frustrated, unhinged parody of White House press secretary Sean Spicer on last weekend’s SNL unsettled the White House and bothered Trump, and her performance was seen as potentially hurting Spicer’s longevity in the job, Politico reported, citing people close to the president.

Source URL: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2017/02/08/giddy-washpost-suggests-snl-can-destroy-spicer-even-get-trump-resign

rangerrebew

"Giddy" WaPo?  No, desperate is more like it. :woohoo:

Offline goatprairie

SNL is watched by a few million, mostly teen and young adults.   A fair share of them are probably Trump fans if not voters.
And certainly many of them didn't vote in the recent election.
So a few million lib/leftists prodded by lame comedians with a vastly overrated sense of their worth and importance are going to make Trump resign? These people are well past the point of legal insanity.

Offline endicom

...Melissa McCarthy's biting Spicer sendup has reportedly gotten under the president's skin."

None-too-brights say this about everything while Trump keeps rolling on. Three new EOs today.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Wash. Post, CNN and NY Times are the most notorious offenders of bias.

You might expect bias with MSNBC or Salon.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
First, SNL is still on? Who knew! Secondly, I found Melissa McCarthy to about as funny as a case of the trots, was stuck in a room, not for long, where others were watching one of her hits, and all I could think of is how much I missed real comedians and wonder why there don't seem to be many any more. Yeah SNL will have as much real impact on Trump as Chevy Chase actually had on Ford. When all you do is preach to the choir you have zero actual impact.

Oceander

"Even get Trump to resign"?  If that's what liberals really think, they're smoking stuff that's illegal even in the dens and warrens of the world's worst drug lords.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
First, SNL is still on? Who knew! Secondly, I found Melissa McCarthy to about as funny as a case of the trots, was stuck in a room, not for long, where others were watching one of her hits, and all I could think of is how much I missed real comedians and wonder why there don't seem to be many any more. Yeah SNL will have as much real impact on Trump as Chevy Chase actually had on Ford. When all you do is preach to the choir you have zero actual impact.
I have found that I can sit through the average sitcom without so much as a smirk. I'm not prone to laughing just because the laugh track does, so that doesn't work. Sadly, most stand up is the same, and should just sit down.

Humor has the potential to draw us all together, often playing on the common frailties, foibles, and ordinary bits of human nature we all know, with a fresh look at them. Someone who is angry about their subject has a hard time being funny, in my book, and the edginess that got people to laugh out of a nervousness they mistook for being amused just doesn't strike me as humorous so much as provoke tedious disgust.

Can the Post, SNL, and all the rest of the horses and gender nonspecific lackeys of the Left put a Party together again?  They are a long way from being the opinion makers of today, and they just don't realize they have wasted their mojo on some of the sorriest sacks of crap to ever emerge on the political scene.
Hillary? Really?
Sheesh!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

The left seems to be under the misapprehension that "The Daily Show" still has an audience and that Samantha Bee not only is wildly popular, but one of the most brilliant social commentators of the day. That they also believe SNL is relevant is another sign of their self-delusion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The left seems to be under the misapprehension that "The Daily Show" still has an audience and that Samantha Bee not only is wildly popular, but one of the most brilliant social commentators of the day. That they also believe SNL is relevant is another sign of their self-delusion.
I can barely sit through a commercial for her show, and won't ever watch the whole thing. Not even if....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It should say everything that SNL, which has a long history of satirizing the President by the way, couldn't even come up with their own cast members and has to rely on expensive guest stars to parody the President.

(Also note: I find it rich that the left loves to trot out foreigners like Bee, Trevor Noah and John Oliver to tell us Americans how to live our lives. It wasn't long ago that Craig Ferguson came over here from Scotland and openly took pride in the country that allowed him in. Now these malcontents spit in our faces.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:40:36 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
There's a big difference between poking fun at someone and setting out to destroy them.

Most readers of this forum are thinking right now: well thanks for that Captain Obvious, can you now tell us what direction the sun rises each day?  But more and more you do have to explain the most simple of things in life and that trend won't get better any time soon.

Pick up a newspaper today and scan the articles.  You'll see that many articles seem like they are written for an 8 year old.  If a story appears about a wheat shortage the writer can't just state bread prices may go higher.  The writer must first explain that wheat is used to make the flour that goes into baking bread.  The writer is making the assumption that without this Life 101 explanation the reader will be lost, and they are most likely right.

This News For Toddlers trend is nothing new.  What began as a trickle during the Clinton White House years is now commonplace.  Even publications like the Wall Street Journal feel the need to toss in Life 101 explanations in their articles.  It makes me wonder how many readers see these most basic of explanations and take it as an insult to their intelligence.  Fewer and fewer apparently.

Toss in the fact that pure emotion drives an increasing percentage of the population and you've got a sad state of affairs on your hands.  People will believe most anything if you toss in a few buzz words designed to push their emotional buttons.

Offline Applewood

SNL hasn't been funny since Eddie Murphy and Phil Hartman.  The bits with Alex Baldwin as Trump are brilliant.  They have revived SNL, but SNL as a political influence?  Um...NO.

Offline Applewood

@Hondo69 :

Someone has to explain life to this younger generation.  Parents don't do it, and as for school,  the kiddies nowadays are indoctrinated, not educated. They can recite the latest liberal meme, but they can't change a light bulb.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
@Hondo69 :

Someone has to explain life to this younger generation.  Parents don't do it, and as for school,  the kiddies nowadays are indoctrinated, not educated. They can recite the latest liberal meme, but they can't change a light bulb.

:beer:

If my parents were part of the Greatest Generation I guess my generation would be classified as the Worst Generation for being such losers.  But then we have the next generation . . .

Offline LadyLiberty

It should say everything that SNL, which has a long history of satirizing the President by the way, couldn't even come up with their own cast members and has to rely on expensive guest stars to parody the President.

A newspaper in Spain used the wrong pic: