Author Topic: Betsy DeVos Confirmed as Education Secretary; Pence Breaks Tie  (Read 6867 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Betsy DeVos Confirmed as Education Secretary; Pence Breaks Tie
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:48 pm »
Teacher's unions apoplectic!  I'm SO happy!!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:01:29 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:42:20 pm »
Boy. The Rats opposition to her was really effective. They have me really worried about their power.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:43:03 pm »
Good. If only to show that the right CAN unite when they have to. Now they have ZERO excuses for ever losing a confirmation vote again.

Z-E-R-O.

EVER.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:46:58 pm »
Good. If only to show that the right CAN unite when they have to. Now they have ZERO excuses for ever losing a confirmation vote again.

Z-E-R-O.

EVER.

So we should expect that all of Trump's appointments, including Supreme Court justice should go through.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 05:48:51 pm »
Today’s vote to confirm Education Secretary @BetsyDeVos was a vote for every child having a chance at a world-class education. https://t.co/zdF3OzIohN— Vice President Pence (@VP) February 7, 2017

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:28 pm »
So we should expect that all of Trump's appointments, including Supreme Court justice should go through.

This past election is shaping up to be even more important than some of us thought.  It looks like Trump will get to make at least three Supreme Court appointments in just four years.  Kennedy will be retiring at the end of this term (bank on that), and Ginsberg won't make it for four more.  The appointment of three young conservative justices will help shape this country for the next 20 years.

I shudder to think of what we'd be facing if Hillary had won....

Offline chae

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
She’s a board member of Jeb Bush’s pro-Common Core think tank, Foundation for Excellence in Education, where she hangs out with prominent Democratic education reformers like Bill Gates and Eli Broad. But she says that somehow doesn’t mean she likes it.

She founded, funds and serves on the board of the Great Lakes Education Project (GLEP), an organization dedicated to the implementation and maintenance of Common Core. But somehow that doesn’t mean she’s for the standards.

She’s even spent millions lobbying politicians in her home state of Michigan asking them NOT to repeal Common Core. But somehow that doesn’t mean she’s in favor of it.

So she's pro-common core, but this means Trump wins so we must celebrate...principles and conservatism be damned...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 05:52:31 pm »
Can't you even wait to see what she does, first?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 05:53:31 pm »
Now we need to target the two women RINOs Collins and Murkowski. Unfortunately, they will not run again until 2020 and 2022.

It is disgusting that the only bipartisanship they feel is to vote against the cabinet members of the party they supposedly represent.

Glad the other 3 GOP women voted with their colleagues.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:55:22 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:56:03 pm »
We should unless the GOP applies situational ethics as usual.

The thing with party politics is that you are either all in or you have a cluster fork like Mitch, McCain/Lindsay and Bhoner/Ryan demonstrate/d regularly. Which is why the Founders were not big fans of political parties in the first place.

But thats the system. For better or worse.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:01:09 pm »
She’s a board member of Jeb Bush’s pro-Common Core think tank, Foundation for Excellence in Education, where she hangs out with prominent Democratic education reformers like Bill Gates and Eli Broad. But she says that somehow doesn’t mean she likes it.

She founded, funds and serves on the board of the Great Lakes Education Project (GLEP), an organization dedicated to the implementation and maintenance of Common Core. But somehow that doesn’t mean she’s for the standards.

She’s even spent millions lobbying politicians in her home state of Michigan asking them NOT to repeal Common Core. But somehow that doesn’t mean she’s in favor of it.

So she's pro-common core, but this means Trump wins so we must celebrate...principles and conservatism be damned...

Thats what lesser evil/no matter what mindsets result in. Principles of conservatism went out the door when the right decided in 12 to try electing Ted Kennedy's good friend. And how many congressmen/Senators get elected under the guise of 'the Dem is worse', then govern as bad or worse than the dems that would have replaced them? How many times have they screwed up actually conservative votes/wins now?

Many.

But people 'know better' so we keep getting liberalized governance.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 06:05:55 pm »
This past election is shaping up to be even more important than some of us thought.  It looks like Trump will get to make at least three Supreme Court appointments in just four years.  Kennedy will be retiring at the end of this term (bank on that), and Ginsberg won't make it for four more.  The appointment of three young conservative justices will help shape this country for the next 20 years.

I shudder to think of what we'd be facing if Hillary had won....

For me, this election has always been about making sure that we put someone in the oval office who would nominate a conservative justice(s).  All those who criticized Cruz for stating that he was voting for Trump perhaps are now having a V-8 moment...this election has always been about the Supreme Court.  This is exactly why the GOP refused Obama's appointment, and this is why Hillary becoming president would have been so detrimental and why the left is in sheer panic mode.  Hillary would have been in the same spot; to potentially nominate multiple liberal justices.  Justices are supposed to rule based on Constitutional law, not on partisanship.  Unfortunately, we've seen the opposite take place.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:06:39 pm »
But people 'know better' so we keep getting liberalized governance.
Is that all you believe we have in power right now?

You could have fooled me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 06:08:33 pm »
Now we need to target the two women RINOs Collins and Murkowski. Unfortunately, they will not run again until 2020 and 2022.

It is disgusting that the only bipartisanship they feel is to vote against the cabinet members of the party they supposedly represent.

It was all pre-arranged.   They knew they had the votes without Collins and Murkowski, so they let them have their "No" votes.   I suspect if it were in doubt they could have convinced them to vote "Yes".

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 06:10:15 pm »

IMHO, that should have been the whole idea all along; targeting RINO's (those that vote along with the DEMS) and draining the swamp one by one!!  It is paramount that we work to ensure that we have good conservatives to replace the RINO's.  TEA anyone?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 06:11:38 pm »
Is that all you believe we have in power right now?

You could have fooled me.

What we have in power is Mitch, Ryan, Lindsay, McCain and a lot of very unreliable lesser names that end up all over the map on a given issue. All you need to see it is to read the Politics thread and see how many different Republicans run to the nearest microphone to denounce whatever good thing Trump actually puts forward.

Just look at his perfectly legal/legitimate/needed travel/immigration ban. Look at the wailing over the wall, although Congress approved it already years ago. And they are ready willing and intending to thwart both.

If we have a reliable and conservative GOP, YOU could have fooled ME.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 06:15:08 pm »
It was all pre-arranged.   They knew they had the votes without Collins and Murkowski, so they let them have their "No" votes.   I suspect if it were in doubt they could have convinced them to vote "Yes".

Not really. What no one is talking about is nutty Collins thinks she is going to run for Gov in ME this next go-round. She is going to go full left in her voting record to appeal to all the Commies up there. Murkowski is garbage and as long as she has cover she will vote left. Collins gave her cover.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 06:17:00 pm »

@DiogenesLamp  @Frank Cannon @don-o @Bigun

More winning!!!  Doubt we would have gotten a pick this good under President Hillary...
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »
Like it or not, that sort of "pre-arrangement" is an aspect of politics.

If you don't want to see what goes into the sausage, don't watch them making it.

Loose comparison to a quote from Otto von Bismark,
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 06:19:36 pm »
Good. Now she should take a flamethrower to that department.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 06:19:42 pm »
Not really. What no one is talking about is nutty Collins thinks she is going to run for Gov in ME this next go-round. She is going to go full left in her voting record to appeal to all the Commies up there. Murkowski is garbage and as long as she has cover she will vote left. Collins gave her cover.

And those two are the primary reason that the GOP and the country would be best served by having forfieted their seats and taken the loss. Collins has done massive damage to date to both the country and conservatism with her leftist voting sabotaging the GOP from within and Murky utilized the good old boy establishment we supposedly want to eliminate to circumvent the actual winner of her primary.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 06:21:09 pm »
@DiogenesLamp  @Frank Cannon @don-o @Bigun

More winning!!!  Doubt we would have gotten a pick this good under President Hillary...

Like hell. Hillary was planning on nominating Ted Cruz to the position. She covered that in her book "I'll Do Anything If You Vote For Me!".

Offline Millee

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 06:21:25 pm »

Thank you,  Harry Reid!!   :tongue2:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 06:22:45 pm »
And those two are the primary reason that the GOP and the country would be best served by having forfieted their seats and taken the loss. Collins has done massive damage to date to both the country and conservatism with her leftist voting sabotaging the GOP from within and Murky utilized the good old boy establishment we supposedly want to eliminate to circumvent the actual winner of her primary.

True, but at least we have the technical ability to have Pence override their stupidity with the GOP in the majority.