Author Topic: 6 more weeks of winter! Punxsutawney Phil sees shadow!  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
6 more weeks of winter! Punxsutawney Phil sees shadow!
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:24:44 pm »
It's official. The famed groundhog saw his shadow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fox5ny/status/827129724703035392/photo/1
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: 6 more weeks of winter! Punxsutawney Phil sees shadow!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:25:51 pm »
I'll update with the other groundhogs as they come in. I thought we might want a little fun news today.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:31:43 pm »
And Staten Island Chuck says early Spring.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fox5ny/status/827129724703035392/photo/1

He also did not see the Mayor this year. :)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:33:15 pm by Freya »

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:03 pm »
Let's hope it's early spring!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:34:28 pm »
I think the groundhogs are not happy to be manhandled the way they are.

I know a few years ago Staten Island Chuck bit Mayor Bloomberg.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »
Ugh. Even though it's been a fairly mild winter here (not terribly far from Phil's home), I still don't want more cold weather or the prospect of snow.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:02:50 pm »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/02/513017478/groundhog-day-2017-winter-is-still-coming-punxsutawney-phil-says

http://A large crowd turned out to see Punxsutawney Phil on Groundhog Day Thursday, waiting to learn if the animal saw his own shadow on Gobbler's Knob. Phil was in an unusually feisty mood — but once he settled down, he saw his own shadow, officials deemed.

As aficionados of the annual ritual will know, that means we're in for six more weeks of cold weather — and as the prediction was read out in in Punxsutawney Pa., a sign was held aloft reading, "We love Old Man Winter."

But other groundhogs did not concur with Phil's assessment. In particular, Staten Island Chuck — owner of the highest accuracy rating (at 80 percent) among prognosticating rodents — informed a New York audience that we would see an early spring. And to the north in Nova Scotia, Shubenacadie Sam concurred with Chuck.

We'll note that Sam seems to have the most polished media presence among his peers: When the door to his little house slid open this morning, he quickly emerged and sprinted across his snowy enclosure, delighting the crowd.

It was the 131st time Punxsutawney Phil has shared his meteorological ideas with a grateful nation, and this time around, the information was hard-won: his eponymous day seemed to sneak up on Phil, and despite more than an hour of loud music and the adoring shouts of human admirers that preceded the sunrise event, his handlers had to grapple with the groundhog so he could have his moment in the sun (or shade).

Phil's rambunctious behavior could be interpreted as a sign that he's connected to a larger animal collective conscious — one that might recall that in olden times, the Gobbler's Knob celebration included eating the star rodent, as NPR intern Cecilia Mazanec reports.

"But as Phil rose in popularity, he moved off the menu," Cecilia notes.

The event in Punxsutawney is a party, with officials wearing top hats on stage and many in the audience wearing groundhog hats made of brown fleece. For the record, it was around 30 degrees at the event this morning.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:03:26 pm by Frank Cannon »

Online Mod2

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:06:30 pm »
Merged two threads on same subject

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 02:13:20 pm »
Let's hope it's early spring!
Just six more weeks would be an early Spring here. We can get frost in the second week of June.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:17:01 pm »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:36:30 pm »
I'll update with the other groundhogs as they come in. I thought we might want a little fun news today.

Don't forget, Texas uses an Armadillo.

Armadillo day: Will Bee Cave Bob see his shadow
http://kxan.com/2017/02/02/armadillo-day-will-bee-cave-bob-see-his-shadow/

Across the country people are discussing Punxsutawney Phil’s extended winter forecast after he saw his shadow Thursday morning. In Central Texas, communities will cheer on Bee Cave Bob for their own version of Groundhog Day; Armadillo Day.

Bob, the armadillo, will look for his shadow at 12:30 p.m. at the West Pole, located off of State Highway 71 at the Hill Country Galleria. Last year, the event made big headlines when country star Kevin Fowler showed up to support his pal Bob....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »
Don't forget, Texas uses an Armadillo.

Armadillo day: Will Bee Cave Bob see his shadow
http://kxan.com/2017/02/02/armadillo-day-will-bee-cave-bob-see-his-shadow/

Across the country people are discussing Punxsutawney Phil’s extended winter forecast after he saw his shadow Thursday morning. In Central Texas, communities will cheer on Bee Cave Bob for their own version of Groundhog Day; Armadillo Day.

Bob, the armadillo, will look for his shadow at 12:30 p.m. at the West Pole, located off of State Highway 71 at the Hill Country Galleria. Last year, the event made big headlines when country star Kevin Fowler showed up to support his pal Bob....
(With my sincere apologies to George Strait)

Armadillo by morning
Lying by the road
That semi came without warning
And the driver never slowed.
He's just a shell, but what the hell
He deserved a better fate
That armadillo I'm mourning
Now he's part of the Interstate.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 02:57:23 pm »

(With my sincere apologies to George Strait)

Armadillo by morning
Lying by the road
That semi came without warning
And the driver never slowed.
He's just a shell, but what the hell
He deserved a better fate
That armadillo I'm mourning
Now he's part of the Interstate.

:laugh:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:43 pm »
Punxsutawney isn't much of a town, so Groundhog Day is a big deal there.  It's a major source of revenue and it's harmless to the groundhog, except that it interrupts his sleep.  I can understand a groundhog being mad enough to bite someone.  Wouldn't you want to bite your neighbor when he fires up the lawnmower at 7 am on your day off?

The predictions are funny.  Sees his shadow = 6 more weeks of winter.  Well, yeah.  Calendar spring arrives around 6 weeks after Groundhog Day.  Doesn't see his shadow = spring is just around the corner.  Well, that is sufficiently vague enough that, along with the other prediction, the groundhog is assured of being right regardless of whether he sees his shadow or not. 

It's a con job.  Town officials shine lights on old Phil, plus there are lights from the news trucks.  So Phil is almost guaranteed to see his shadow.  Actually, no one is really sure Phil sees anything.  Town officials make the declaration.  All Phil wants to do is go back to sleep. 

It's harmless fun and profitable to Punxsutawney and its businesses.  What's not to like?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:44:00 pm by Applewood »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 03:52:27 pm »
It's official. The famed groundhog saw his shadow.

I have found that groundhogs have absolutely nothing to do with it here... That we have six more weeks of winter goes without saying...  :shrug:

We breathlessly await the first kiss of a Chinook wind...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 04:32:25 pm »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
#Not my groundhog!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 04:52:56 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
Unlike the New York version:

Staten Island’s famous groundhog died after Bill de Blasio dropped it
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/09/25/report-staten-islands-famous-groundhog-died-after-bill-de-blasio-dropped-it/?utm_term=.0a031724b633

I forgot about that and the one which bit Bloomberg.  Perhaps this is a clue for mayors to stay away from groundhogs. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 06:55:58 pm »
Ugh. Even though it's been a fairly mild winter here (not terribly far from Phil's home), I still don't want more cold weather or the prospect of snow.

Going to be 50 something on Tuesday in my corner of western PA.  We actually haven't had it too bad here.  Above normal temperatures and not as much snow as had been predicted. 

However, February is just getting started.  It's traditional for February to be cold and snowy here.  So I'm not going to rejoice just yet.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:58 pm »
You're a little bit closer to Punx. than I. I'm grateful for the winter thus far but, like you, know that anything can happen in February - and even March (1993 comes to mind).

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 08:01:00 pm »
I forgot about that and the one which bit Bloomberg.  Perhaps this is a clue for mayors to stay away from groundhogs.

Some mayors get a stronger clue.

http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nbc-news/watch-groundhog-bite-mayors-ear-392483395520

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:44 am »
You're a little bit closer to Punx. than I. I'm grateful for the winter thus far but, like you, know that anything can happen in February - and even March (1993 comes to mind).

If I remember correctly, 1993 was the year Pittsburgh decided to go through with its annual St. Patrick's Day parade despite feet of snow already on the ground,, more snow falling and major drifts.  I believe one marching band showed up. Plus a few vehicles with city officials.  That was just about it. 

Funny part was a tv news interview with a city ciuncilmal who said -- I'm not kidding -- "Gee, the crowds are a lot smaller this year than in previous years."

22222frying pan 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 12:24:44 am »
Some mayors get a stronger clue.

http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nbc-news/watch-groundhog-bite-mayors-ear-392483395520

Groundhogs are smart animals.  They don't like politicians.   :happyhappy:

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 02:07:24 am »