Author Topic: Wine  (Read 9968 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Wine
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 04:54:13 pm »
A young friend of my niece makes mead. It sounds disgusting to me, but he seems to like it. It costs a small fortune for all the honey, though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »
I once tried to make dandelion wine, using a recipe from a little Swiss-settled village in W.Va.
It was awful.
Never tried it, but I've heard many good things about the health properties of the humble dandelion. I once saw them for a hefty price at the local Whole Foods with the salad greens. :laugh: That was funny. If the ones in my lawn were organic salad grade I could retire. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:08 pm »
Now that my memory has been jogged. Huckleberry mead. The drink of the Gods.

Anything huckleberry. Always. And REAL huckleberries now, not them berries they call huckleberries down south. Never had huckleberry mead, but I would volunteer for duty in record time. I might just beak my arm, shoving it up in the air that fast...

I've got a hillbilly that pays m for computer services with gallon ziplocks stuffed tot the brim w. huckleberries. I can't ever get enough!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 05:34:18 pm »
Never tried it, but I've heard many good things about the health properties of the humble dandelion. I once saw them for a hefty price at the local Whole Foods with the salad greens. :laugh: That was funny. If the ones in my lawn were organic salad grade I could retire.

Now, I know you won't believe me, but gather you up a passel of dandelion root, clean it good, and put it to a fine chop. Spread it fairly thin on a cookie sheet, and roast in the oven at 350, stirring every 15 min or so to keep it off the pan. Stuff it in a quart jar and treat it just like coffee (grind, boil, strain).

Dandelion coffee.

It ain't coffee. but if there's anything that takes the place of coffee, that I could walk off of coffee for, it'd be that.

Dandelion greens are delicious in a salad or fried up in butter, and the flower is good raw, or used to make tea...

And you been trying to kill em outta your lawn... :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:35:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 05:59:10 pm »
Wine is for people who drink but like to pretend they don't have a drinking problem. I know I do so I get right to business with scotch. If I'm forced to drink wine, I like to stick with fortified bum wines...

I never tried any of those, even in my younger, dead-broke desperate days. Which is probably good, because I have heard stories about Cisco and Night Train hangovers that make them sound like a kind of jackhammer dentistry.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »
A young friend of my niece makes mead. It sounds disgusting to me, but he seems to like it. It costs a small fortune for all the honey, though.
I've never tried the stuff @Sanguine posted the picture of, but I've tired both the Huckleberry and Raspberry Mead from Camas Parie Winery and they are both excellent. Closest thing in taste is a sweet Riesling so if you like Riesling you probably won't be disappointed.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 06:46:09 pm »
I make mead and fruit wines - it's fun. Made carrot wine once, on a whim, and it was gorgeous after it had aged a year.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »
I make mead and fruit wines - it's fun. Made carrot wine once, on a whim, and it was gorgeous after it had aged a year.
Sounds interesting. Pairs well with Hassenphefer?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »
Too sweet for me!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 03:15:51 am »
Sounds interesting. Pairs well with Hassenphefer?

It actually came out like a particularly nice Shiraz.  :shrug: Odd for something that was only intended as feedstock for some carrot brandy.

Oceander

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:03 pm »
I once tried to make dandelion wine, using a recipe from a little Swiss-settled village in W.Va.
It was awful.

I tried the same thing after I read the Bradbury book.  Didn't turn out very well. 

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
Try drinking your vino with a product called "Prelief" -- it takes the acid out of foods and liquids.

Yeah, or just pop a couple of 500 mg. calcium carbonate tabs before you drink. The only side effect is that you will likely belch a little (which you would do anyway if you were drinking beer) and it's a LOT cheaper than Prelief (though I have heard that is a good product).

Walmart sells a 500 mg per tablet Calcium supplement (with or without vitamin D) for about $6 for 300 tablets. Be sure to get the calcium carbonate or it won't work. See, calcium carbonate is the main neutralizer in Tums (which only adds sweetener etc). The reason one will belch is that the by-product of the acid neutralization process is carbon dioxide - so it's a way to stick a finger in the eye of AGW fanatics and promote global warming as well (rolls eyes).

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:14:30 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline libertybele

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 08:25:27 pm »
The cheese poll has 91 responses.

This whine thread...only 10

Bunch of losers!

Hey ... you're the king  of polls Wingnut.     :da man:  Apparently there are more cheesers than winers! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 11:15:52 pm »
My wife's favorites - Ice Wine and Muscato
I am more of a Cab or Chianti

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 02:41:14 pm »
I hate to say it, but taste in wine his highly subjective, while taste in cheese is not.

There was a recent incident where somebody (I can't recall off hand who it was) set up a wine tasting with some experts. They had them blind test a wine, then without them being told, had them retest it twice more - the same wine put into different bottles. The responses they got were wildly divergent. Some tasters rated the wine highly the first time(with suitable superlatives), but panned it the second or third time with sometimes harsh invective.

The fact that it was the same wine each time sort of calls into question the ability of tasters of wine to be consistent (to say the least). Granted that was only one study, but you get the point. Whenever perception is the reality, you'd better watch out.

My brother collects wine but he doesn't often rely on professional tasters or
"experts" to determine what he buys. He is fond of saying, "I know what I like".   He delights in the fact that according to him, he has consistently been able to buy wines that many of his connoisseur friends  rate highly, which he bought for a song, while others he has paid high prices for were merely good, not great.

Cheese is cheese. It's either good or it's not. I'm not aware of anyone who claims that cheese has anywhere near the wide spectrum of "interpretation" connected to it that wine has. One may like or dislike a cheese type, but it's not like people crack the rind, sniff it, sample it and mark down on a scorecard how it compares to other cheeses of the same variety.

Of course, the minute I post this it is all-but-inevitable that someone will post a link to some group of "cheese experts" who do exactly that.

I will tell anyone who offers me a taste of cheese that costs $10 a bite what I tell my brother when he offers me wine that costs $10 a swallow - save it for someone who can actually tell the difference!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:46:11 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 02:50:53 pm »
Of course, the minute I post this it is all-but-inevitable that someone will post a link to some group of "cheese experts" who do exactly that.

Spoilsport. So I won't link, but they do exist.  :tongue2:

You're right though. Wine does have way more variance than cheese. Cheese has five variables - feed for the herds, herd type/mix, bacterial strain, aging time, and aging conditions. Wine has five variables for the primary fermentation step alone!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 04:45:13 pm »
I hate to say it, but taste in wine his highly subjective, while taste in cheese is not.

There was a recent incident where somebody (I can't recall off hand who it was) set up a wine tasting with some experts. They had them blind test a wine, then without them being told, had them retest it twice more - the same wine put into different bottles. The responses they got were wildly divergent. Some tasters rated the wine highly the first time(with suitable superlatives), but panned it the second or third time with sometimes harsh invective.

The fact that it was the same wine each time sort of calls into question the ability of tasters of wine to be consistent (to say the least). Granted that was only one study, but you get the point. Whenever perception is the reality, you'd better watch out.

My brother collects wine but he doesn't often rely on professional tasters or
"experts" to determine what he buys. He is fond of saying, "I know what I like".   He delights in the fact that according to him, he has consistently been able to buy wines that many of his connoisseur friends  rate highly, which he bought for a song, while others he has paid high prices for were merely good, not great.

Cheese is cheese. It's either good or it's not. I'm not aware of anyone who claims that cheese has anywhere near the wide spectrum of "interpretation" connected to it that wine has. One may like or dislike a cheese type, but it's not like people crack the rind, sniff it, sample it and mark down on a scorecard how it compares to other cheeses of the same variety.

I will tell anyone who offers me a taste of cheese that costs $10 a bite what I tell my brother when he offers me wine that costs $10 a swallow - save it for someone who can actually tell the difference!

Good point. I don't want to sound like a snob, but perhaps some wines just don't taste as good after being decanted into another bottle.  :tongue2:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 04:51:52 pm »
Spoilsport. So I won't link, but they do exist.  :tongue2:

You're right though. Wine does have way more variance than cheese. Cheese has five variables - feed for the herds, herd type/mix, bacterial strain, aging time, and aging conditions. Wine has five variables for the primary fermentation step alone!
Don't forget add ins. Pepper Jack or Lemon Stilton for instance. I've also tried Champagne Cheddar, and Cheddar that had Guinness in it; both very different and very good. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:52:15 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »
Good point. I don't want to sound like a snob, but perhaps some wines just don't taste as good after being decanted into another bottle.  :tongue2:

Yeah, as I recall the guys who ran the experiment (students at MIT/Caltech ?) took that into account and distributed the decanted wine into separate containers that were served in reverse. In other words  they took steps to ensure that there was no chronogenic factor in the outcome. The experts tasted wine that was poured into the different bottles at the same time and then recorked so that they thought they were being opened fresh each time.

Watch out for the squints!

Sort of reminds me of a similar incident with "fine art" involving of all people the rock band Led Zeppelin. The band was on tour having a publicity event at a local abstract art gallery (in some German city as I recall). The guitarist Page was/is an art collector. He claimed that the art was all worthless bullsh*t! Bonham into his cups (as usual) decided to go up to one huge oil painting which was apparently not completely dry, waited until nobody was watching, scraped a big area of paint off one side and moved it to the other.

Nobody noticed - not even the artist who painted it! People kept coming up to look at it and very seriously oohed and ahhed, made erudite comments, praised its mood and meaning. It wasn't until the band started laughing uncontrollably and eventually admitted what they had done, that anyone found out!! Of course the gallery made a stink and demanded that they pay for it, which they did  (and then likely threw it into a dumpster).

They proved their point - the art was bullsh*t and everybody who were supposedly "art critics" were all caught up in it like it was something great.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:49:45 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:25 pm »
Watch out for the squints!

If I squint, that says 'squirts'... which is a different kind of warning....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 03:33:59 am »
 :whistle:
It was down for maintenance.  Now back up.

I don't see them, @MOD8
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline MOD8

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:19 am »
:whistle:

I don't see them, @MOD8

Someone must have deleted the poll? 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare