Author Topic: Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office  (Read 3507 times)

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316115-trump-hangs-portrait-of-andrew-jackson-in-oval-office#.WIkIBF9VDfc.facebook

President Trump hung a portrait of Andrew Jackson in the Oval Office on Tuesday, The New York Times reports, an apparent nod to the populist sentiments of the new administration.

Trump's rise has often been compared to the populist election of Jackson, including by some of the new president's own team.

Chief White House strategist Steve Bannon called Trump’s inauguration speech on Friday “Jacksonian,” saying it struck the populist and patriotic tones Jackson was known for.

Trump has also expressed admiration for the seventh president, as well, calling Jackson “an amazing figure in American history — very unique so many ways,” through a spokesperson last week.

Great.  I knew Jackson was a bad president, and so I Googled to find some specific info, remembering that Glenn Beck had talked about him before, and I came upon this transcript of when Glenn was working with Larry Schweikart (LS from TOS) and interestingly, LS had this to say about Andrew Jackson:
Andrew Jackson is the first era of big government, how Andrew Jackson destroyed America, to use hyperbole, but he really is the first real progressive, big government executive that we have. And, you know, I taught on this in the class, but I went back and looked at some notes that a student of mine had done for me many years ago on the actual numbers of per capita expenditures, nominal and real expenditures by the U.S. Government, and government employees in the early 1800s. And it’s quite amazing. All three categories jump and jump sharply under Jackson. For the first time you start to see a large number of government employees, certainly per capita the number of government employees goes up. So it’s strange that Jackson is always portrayed as kind of a small government guy but in almost every way, he is the founder of big government.

Source: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/48248/?utm_source=glennbeck&utm_medium=contentcopy_link

Online corbe

Re: Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:05:25 pm »
   Maybe Trump can explain the significance of ol Hickory to the British Prime Minister when they meet.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:14:13 pm »
Without Jackson we wouldn't have a $20.00 bill.  20 bones, a dub.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:18:41 pm »
   Maybe Trump can explain the significance of ol Hickory to the British Prime Minister when they meet.

In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississippi
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans

We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin'
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began to runnin'
On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:20:28 pm »
In 1814 we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississippi
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British in the town of New Orleans

We fired our guns and the British kept a-comin'
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
We fired once more and they began to runnin'
On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

Thanks for the earworm Johnny Horton

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:07 pm »
   It is a very odd choice, considering he is purported to be the father of the Democratic Party.  Refreshing my memory reading his Bio on Wikipedia, I see many, many similarities between the two. Jackson never liked brown people either.  jk
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline beandog

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:46:55 pm »
   It is a very odd choice, considering he is purported to be the father of the Democratic Party.  Refreshing my memory reading his Bio on Wikipedia, I see many, many similarities between the two. Jackson never liked brown people either.  jk
I guess that must mean that Reagan didn't like "brown" people either since it appears he also had Jacksons portrait in his office. :shrug:

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:52:41 pm »
   @beandog  it was a very insensitive post, that's why I ended it with 'jk' - just kidding.

What Jackson did to the Indians cannot be overlooked, though.  He is way down on my list of 'good' Presidents, having Seminole blood coursing through my veins, incidentally the only Tribe that NEVER signed a Peace Treaty with the Feds, which explains their Real Estate.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 11:57:52 pm »
Good choice.

Jackson was also an extraconstitutional democrat lowlife.

Reagan Hung the Coolidge portrait next to Jefferson because he felt that Coolidge belonged among the founders.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:27:04 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline beandog

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:27 am »
   @beandog  it was a very insensitive post, that's why I ended it with 'jk' - just kidding.

What Jackson did to the Indians cannot be overlooked, though.  He is way down on my list of 'good' Presidents, having Seminole blood coursing through my veins, incidentally the only Tribe that NEVER signed a Peace Treaty with the Feds, which explains their Real Estate.
It was a long time ago in a totally different time.  Undoubtedly he thought he was doing what was right just as we feel we are doing what is right.  I would rather he had hung Reagan's portrait but there'd be people screaming about that too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 12:13:13 am »
A little tidbit on Jackson:

..."The 1830s were a tumultuous decade for America. The attempt by the Second Bank of the United States for an early recharter was passed by Congress in July 1832, but the bill was vetoed shortly thereafter by President Andrew Jackson. The hopes of the bank's supporters to turn the veto in a winning campaign issue in that fall's presidential campaign failed dismally. In 1833, Jackson retaliated against the bank by removing federal government deposits and placing them in "pet" state banks. As federal revenue from land sales soared, Jackson saw the opportunity to fulfill his dream of paying off the national debt - which he did in early 1835. But as the economy overheated and so did state dreams of infrastructure projects. Congress passed a law in 1836 that required the federal surplus to be distributed to the states in four payments. Shortly thereafter, the Jackson Administration declared in its "Specie Circular" that payments for federal land purchases be made in specie. When combined with loose state banking practices and a credit contraction, a major economic crisis was brewing when Martin Van Buren took office as president in March 1837. Two months later, New York City banks suspended specie payments. A major economic recession was soon underway. Van Buren - under pressure from his mentor Jackson - decided not to suspend the Specie Circular. Instead, he proposed a set of economic proposals that September - the most of important of which - an independent Sub-Treasury - Congress refused to pass. As a result, the recession double dipped in 1839 and the national economy did not recover until 1843...."

...Jackson came into presidency in 1829 determined to eliminate the national debt, the management of which was one of the purposes of the national bank. "Jackson had two purposes in ridding the country of debt," wrote John Steele Gordon. "The first, of course, was that he thought debt was bad in and of itself. He called it a `national curse' in his first run for the presidency in 1824. But he thought that the institutions and the people who benefited from it were a national curse as well. `My vow,' he pledged, `shall be to pay the national debt, to prevent a monied aristocracy from growing up around our administration that must bend to its views, and ultimately destroy the liberty of our country."
http://lehrmaninstitute.org/history/Andrew-Jackson-1837.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:02 am »
Jackson was probably one of our worst Presidents ever. I guess Donny couldn't find a picture of LBJ to put up too.

Offline beandog

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 12:55:23 am »

..."The 1830s were a tumultuous decade for America. The attempt by the Second Bank of the United States for an early recharter was passed by Congress in July 1832, but the bill was vetoed shortly thereafter by President Andrew Jackson. The hopes of the bank's supporters to turn the veto in a winning campaign issue in that fall's presidential campaign failed dismally. In 1833, Jackson retaliated against the bank by removing federal government deposits and placing them in "pet" state banks. As federal revenue from land sales soared, Jackson saw the opportunity to fulfill his dream of paying off the national debt - which he did in early 1835. But as the economy overheated and so did state dreams of infrastructure projects. Congress passed a law in 1836 that required the federal surplus to be distributed to the states in four payments. Shortly thereafter, the Jackson Administration declared in its "Specie Circular" that payments for federal land purchases be made in specie. When combined with loose state banking practices and a credit contraction, a major economic crisis was brewing when Martin Van Buren took office as president in March 1837. Two months later, New York City banks suspended specie payments. A major economic recession was soon underway. Van Buren - under pressure from his mentor Jackson - decided not to suspend the Specie Circular. Instead, he proposed a set of economic proposals that September - the most of important of which - an independent Sub-Treasury - Congress refused to pass. As a result, the recession double dipped in 1839 and the national economy did not recover until 1843...."

...Jackson came into presidency in 1829 determined to eliminate the national debt, the management of which was one of the purposes of the national bank. "Jackson had two purposes in ridding the country of debt," wrote John Steele Gordon. "The first, of course, was that he thought debt was bad in and of itself. He called it a `national curse' in his first run for the presidency in 1824. But he thought that the institutions and the people who benefited from it were a national curse as well. `My vow,' he pledged, `shall be to pay the national debt, to prevent a monied aristocracy from growing up around our administration that must bend to its views, and ultimately destroy the liberty of our country."
Sounds good to me. :patriot:

Offline beandog

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:57:01 am »
Jackson was probably one of our worst Presidents ever. I guess Donny couldn't find a picture of LBJ to put up too.
Maybe he thought he was doing it out of respect for Pres. Reagan who also hung a portrait of Andrew Jackson. :shrug:

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:45:43 am »

Hmmn.... http://digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/Vol2/treaties/sem0910.htm

What Jackson "did" to the Indians was no worse than what the Indians did to Americans. Dragging Canoe..... Jamestown massacre.... the list is long and bloody.

In fact, the Indian Removal was probably harder on the Black slaves who carried the luggage of the Cherokee on the "Trail of Tears" than the Cherokee themselves.

Not to pick a fight, but the Seminole Tribe did not even exist before the 1700 correct?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:50:43 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 02:12:15 am »

Well, back in the day, Oklahoma wouldn't have looked any better.

And, I agree, Jackson is not someone I would want hanging on my walls.  Figuratively or literally.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 02:16:55 am »
Not a POTUS I would want hanging on my wall, but I digress.
Jackson was the most significant President since Washington.  He exemplified getting outside the good-ole-boy gentries of the political establishment that the 6 previous Presidents embodied.

Jackson is highly symbolic of what Donald is and it is exactly what he is about.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 02:16:57 am »

Is that revisionist history, or what?  Seems for someone who grew government and liberal/progressive policies, "ending the debt" was contradictive to that.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:13 am »
Well, back in the day, Oklahoma wouldn't have looked any better.

And, I agree, Jackson is not someone I would want hanging on my walls.  Figuratively or literally.

One belief is that Lincoln came up with the term "Michigander" in an insult to democrats in Michigan clinging to Jackson like ticks on a gooses butt.

Funny thing is that the first republican party convention was in Jackson Michigan.

Jackson made a really crappy deal with Ohio for the Toledo strip. He promised the perceived as valuable Toledo strip to Ohio if they would deliver the vote for the democrats and Michigan would get the "useless" upper peninsula. Ohio delivered but the democrats still lost the presidency and the upper peninsula turned out to be far more valuable.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:37:45 am by Cripplecreek »

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:21 am »
Hmmn.... http://digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/Vol2/treaties/sem0910.htm

What Jackson "did" to the Indians was no worse than what the Indians did to Americans. Dragging Canoe..... Jamestown massacre.... the list is long and bloody.

I can't atone for Indian atrocities, but, as far as they were concerned they were being invaded and their land taken, they were certainly more savage than Christian.

In fact, the Indian Removal was probably harder on the Black slaves who carried the luggage of the Cherokee on the "Trail of Tears" than the Cherokee themselves.

I am certainly not advocating that President Jackson liked Black people either.

Not to pick a fight, but the Seminole Tribe did not even exist before the 1700 correct?

You are correct, they were Creek when Columbus arrived and were mainly in Georgia and Alabama but some wound up in present day Florida as (Southern) tribes always grow and expand territory. 

the way I heard it, and my recollection could be fuzzy, 2/3 of the Seminole Tribe wound up in Oklahoma by way of the Trail of Tears, and they are the ones that negotiated that treaty because the TRUCE they had with the US Government was abrogated when they sided with the Confederacy.

The FLORIDA Seminoles have never signed a Peace Treaty with the US Govt.

I read allot at that Link you provided, very interesting, Thank You-it says that Treaty was never Ratified.

A copy of this agreement, which has never been ratified, is found in an Appendix to the Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs for 1865, with the report of the negotiating commissioners, which copy has been reproduced in the appendix to this compilation, post, p. 1050.

edited to ping @Fantom
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:37:55 am by corbe »

Online corbe

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 02:44:10 am »
Jackson was the most significant President since Washington.  He exemplified getting outside the good-ole-boy gentries of the political establishment that the 6 previous Presidents embodied.

Jackson is highly symbolic of what Donald is and it is exactly what he is about.

Jackson turned over cabinet officials like a Maytag, A 'petticoat' scandal that even FOX would report on today, He was certainly the first jackass of the Democratic Party.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 03:17:45 am »
     I can't atone for Indian atrocities, but, as far as they were concerned they were being invaded and their land taken, they were certainly more savage than Christian.

I am certainly not advocating that President Jackson liked Black people either.

You are correct, they were Creek when Columbus arrived and were mainly in Georgia and Alabama but some wound up in present day Florida as (Southern) tribes always grow and expand territory. 

the way I heard it, and my recollection could be fuzzy, 2/3 of the Seminole Tribe wound up in Oklahoma by way of the Trail of Tears, and they are the ones that negotiated that treaty because the TRUCE they had with the US Government was abrogated when they sided with the Confederacy.

The FLORIDA Seminoles have never signed a Peace Treaty with the US Govt.

I read allot at that Link you provided, very interesting, Thank You-it says that Treaty was never Ratified.

A copy of this agreement, which has never been ratified, is found in an Appendix to the Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs for 1865, with the report of the negotiating commissioners, which copy has been reproduced in the appendix to this compilation, post, p. 1050.

edited to ping @Fantom

Trail of Tears was Cherokee: 
The Cherokee removal in 1838 (the last forced removal east of the Mississippi) was brought on by the discovery of gold near Dahlonega, Georgia in 1828, resulting in the Georgia Gold Rush.[6] Approximately 2,000-6,000 of the 16,543 relocated Cherokee perished along the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 03:20:09 am »

I don't think that will be necessary!  She will know.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:21:02 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 03:27:43 am »
   Jackson turned over cabinet officials like a Maytag, A 'petticoat' scandal that even FOX would report on today, He was certainly the first jackass of the Democratic Party.
Seems some only look at the dark side of people.

How about some good quotes from a man who changed the Presidency forever?

Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.

One man with courage makes a majority.

It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes.

Andrew practiced what he preached.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 03:36:12 am »