Author Topic: Six Texas Lawsuits Trump Could Impact (or Not) in 2017  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Six Texas Lawsuits Trump Could Impact (or Not) in 2017
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
When Governor Greg Abbott was Texas attorney general he summed up his work day thusly: “I go into the office, I sue the federal government and I go home.” Since President Obama took office in 2009, Texas has sued the federal government more than 46 times, according to the Texas Tribune. Abbott’s successor, Ken Paxton, has a similar fondness for suing the feds. Besides costing Texas taxpayers as much as $6 million (and counting) to litigate, these legal challenges tackle important issues, such as climate change or whether up to 5 million undocumented immigrants can legally remain in the country — issues not only vitally important to Texas but also the nation.

Here are six Texas lawsuits we should all keep an eye on in 2017 during President Trump’s first year in office.

Civil Rights

State of Texas v. United States of America

Background: After convincing tiny Harrold ISD to enact an anti-transgender bathroom policy, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of several states in May challenging the Obama administration’s newly issued guidance on trans students.

Texas NAACP v. Steen (consolidated with Veasey v. Abbott)

Background: In 2011, Texas legislators passed a controversial voter ID bill, severely limiting the types of ID a voter could use to cast their ballot in-person. Critics argued that the bill disproportionately impacted minorities, poor Texans and those living in rural areas.

Franciscan Alliance v. Burwell

Background: The Texas Attorney General’s Office filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of several states in August challenging a new federal regulation prohibiting discrimination against transgender people, as well as those seeking reproductive care, under Obamacare.

Immigration

United States of America v. State of Texas

Background: In December 2014, Texas and 26 other states sued the U.S. Department of Homeland Security over President Obama’s executive action granting temporary deportation relief to undocumented immigrants who entered the country as children and to the undocumented parents of children who are legal residents or citizens.

Environment

State of West Virginia v. EPA

Background: In October 2015, Texas joined 27 other states in suing the EPA over the Clean Power Plan, the Obama administration’s signature regulatory effort to combat climate change.

State of Texas v. EPA

Background: EPA’s Regional Haze Program requires states to take measures to reduce pollution — much of it from outdated coal plants — at national parks and wilderness areas, including Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Big Bend National Park.

By Melissa del Bosque , Naveena Sadasivam, Gus Bova, and John Wright, Texas Observer

More at NewsTaco.com

http://www.newstaco.com/2017/01/12/six-texas-lawsuits-trump-could-impact-or-not-in-2017/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Six Texas Lawsuits Trump Could Impact (or Not) in 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:03 pm »
Thanks, Elderberry!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:44 am »
These were all filed by Texas.  What this list does not include are the lawsuits against Texas filed by the US govt, which will all be certainly changed as well.

I wonder how many on that list?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:20:24 am »
These were all filed by Texas.  What this list does not include are the lawsuits against Texas filed by the US govt, which will all be certainly changed as well.

I wonder how many on that list?

I looked and only found 2. Maybe you'd be more successful since you're interested in the matter.

A federal judge on Friday tossed out a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission lawsuit that accused Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton of engaging in securities fraud during private business deals in 2011

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/judge-tosses-fraud-lawsuit-against-texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton/T9Mn4EZIUjgfi4bGaD6sKO/

The Securities and Exchange Commission has filed an amended suit against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton over securities fraud after a federal judge dismissed the charges earlier this month.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2016/10/21/sec-files-amended-suit-against-texas-ag-paxton.html