Author Topic: Inauguration announcer Charlie Brotman, 89, who has announced every president since Eisenhower in 1957 is dumped and replaced by a Trump supporter  (Read 2507 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
President-elect Donald Trump has dumped the long-time presidential inauguration announcer Charlie Brotman.
The 89-year-old has announced every inauguration parade since Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957.  Brotman, who in total has served as announcer for 11 presidents during the parades, had already started preparing for this year's event when he was told a younger Trump supporter would be doing it in his place.

He told WJLA he was 'heartbroken' by the decision. 'I've been doing this for 60 years,' Brotman said.
Brotman, who was once the voice of the Washington Senators baseball team, said he was informed of the change in announcers in an email from Trump's team on Thursday.  He is being replaced by 56-year-old Steve Ray - a Washington D.C. freelance announcer.

While Brotman said he didn't know why he had been replaced, he suspects it is because Steve Ray supported Trump throughout the election. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4100062/Donald-Trump-dumps-long-time-inauguration-announcer-Charlie-Brotman.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:32:59 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online corbe

Circuses have consequences
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
President-elect Donald Trump has dumped the long-time presidential inauguration announcer Charlie Brotman.
The 89-year-old has announced every inauguration parade since Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957.  Brotman, who in total has served as announcer for 11 presidents during the parades, had already started preparing for this year's event when he was told a younger Trump supporter would be doing it in his place.

He told WJLA he was 'heartbroken' by the decision. 'I've been doing this for 60 years,' Brotman said.
Brotman, who was once the voice of the Washington Senators baseball team, said he was informed of the change in announcers in an email from Trump's team on Thursday.  He is being replaced by 56-year-old Steve Ray - a Washington D.C. freelance announcer.

While Brotman said he didn't know why he had been replaced, he suspects it is because Steve Ray supported Trump throughout the election. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4100062/Donald-Trump-dumps-long-time-inauguration-announcer-Charlie-Brotman.html

I know it's nothing in the grand scheme of things but I wish the old dude could have done it one more time since it obviously meant a lot to him.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline dfwgator

I know it's nothing in the grand scheme of things but I wish the old dude could have done it one more time since it obviously meant a lot to him.

So, it doesn't mean anything to the guy who is replacing him? 

Offline Victoria33

@Emjay

Remember, Trump picks people who look good which he even said about his cabinet.  John Bolton was turned down as Secretary of State because he has a mustache.  This elderly man is too old for Trump.  He only wants pretty people with money.

Offline montanajoe

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@Emjay

Remember, Trump picks people who look good which he even said about his cabinet.  John Bolton was turned down as Secretary of State because he has a mustache.  This elderly man is too old for Trump.  He only wants pretty people with money.

Like Trump or not, I think we all can look forward to the day the Department of HHS got sexier...but for me this is the final straw.  I will never forgive Trump for what he has done to homeless war vet, pastor, and my beloved Grampa Charlie.

Silver Pines

The prevailing sentiment at TOS seems to be "be grateful you're still drawing breath, you selfish, entitled fossil."

Yes, those words were actually used, and largely agreed with.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races

And I would have been better (or classier) IMO if instead of emailing the guy, someone would have picked up the phone and called him.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I'm just going to say that I really don't care what it meant to the old dude, because I'm sure it also meant a lot to the young dude.  These kind of things are zero-sum games, and there are always winners and losers.  Nice to see a young guy get a chance.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

The prevailing sentiment at TOS seems to be "be grateful you're still drawing breath, you selfish, entitled fossil."

Yes, those words were actually used, and largely agreed with.

Well, I don't post or even read there anymore, but I'll give them a tip of the hat for that one.  Brotman had a very fine, long career in broadcasting, and doesn't exactly need the gig.  Any resentment over a younger guy getting the job is petty.

We had a "beloved" weatherman in town who did the weather for over 50 years.  He signed a new, multi-year deal at the age of 83.  Not only was he not nearly as good as he had once been, but the fact is that his charming longevity meant that some other young weather reporter didn't get a shot to create their own legacy.  It becomes just selfishness at some point.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:42:23 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline dfwgator

I'm just going to say that I really don't care what it meant to the old dude, because I'm sure it also meant a lot to the young dude.  These kind of things are zero-sum games, and there are always winners and losers.  Nice to see a young guy get a chance.

The guy had a nice run, he should have appreciated it.

Oceander

Yeah, taking ceremonial once every four year positions from old men isn't anything like taking candy from a child.  Trump is a tin eared jackanape and this continues his long streak of idiocies.

Wingnut

Yeah, taking ceremonial once every four year positions from old men isn't anything like taking candy from a child.  Trump is a tin eared jackanape and this continues his long streak of idiocies.

It was out of mercy Trump canned the old yam.  He didn't want him to catch his death out there in the sub zero temps. 

Silver Pines

Well, I don't post or even read there anymore, but I'll give them a tip of the hat for that one. 

@Maj. Bill Martin

Well, there's always room for improvement, so don't feel too bad about it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:34:00 pm by CatherineofAragon »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Just kiss Donald Trump's backside and you—yes, you!—can kick an 89-year-old guy out of the role he's held since 1957.

This is what Trump's idea of draining the swamp must be: kick out the benign symbols of tradition, and replace with people based solely on loyalty to him.

I dealt with this in my hometown. There's a local auto racetrack where I was an announcer, anthem singer and scoreboard operator. For several years I did that and got rave reviews. Then, last year before the start of the season, I got a call telling me that I was fired and that they found someone willing to do the work for free (I only got a $50 per diem and half the time they rained out). I haven't been back since, even as a paying customer. The only other reason I can think of is that the ownership (controlled by one family and a crowd of loyalists) didn't like me anymore.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:13:35 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Just kiss Donald Trump's backside and you—yes, you!—can kick an 89-year-old guy out of the role he's held since 1957.

I've never felt that labor owned their jobs.  Always believed that belonged to...the owner. 

I dealt with this in my hometown. There's a local auto racetrack where I was an announcer, anthem singer and scoreboard operator. For several years I did that and got rave reviews. Then, last year before the start of the season, I got a call telling me that I was fired and that they found someone willing to do the work for free (I only got a $50 per diem and half the time they rained out). I haven't been back since, even as a paying customer. The only other reason I can think of is that the ownership (controlled by one family and a crowd of loyalists) didn't like me anymore.

So they were required to keep you in that job for as long as you wanted it?  Even though it was their racetrack?

Look, I'm sorry for your loss, but sounds to me like getting someone to do it for free was a better/smarter deal for them.  And I'd point out that in this situation, they're not getting rid of a young guy who may need the money and/or exposure.  It's an 89 year old guy who already has been doing this for more than 50 years, and had an incredibly successful broadcast career otherwise.  He certainly doesn't need it.

What is wrong with giving someone else the opportunity?  Plus, though I haven't heard him, it is entirely possible that he's just not as good anymore, and they don't want to risk having an 89 year old guy get tired or falter.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:33:37 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline dfwgator

They sound like all those Cowboys' fans who never forgave Jerry Jones for firing Tom Landry. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Trump does not care about the feelings of others.  In fact, he doesn't realize that others have feelings.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.