Author Topic: BREAKING: Ted Cruz Introduces AWESOME Constitutional Amendment  (Read 6840 times)

rangerrebew

BREAKING: Ted Cruz Introduces AWESOME Constitutional Amendment
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:34:32 pm »
BREAKING: Ted Cruz Introduces AWESOME Constitutional Amendment

January 4, 2017| by Robert Gehl

Last month, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) announced that he would do his part to “drain the swamp” by introducing term limit legislation in Congress — something President-elect Donald Trump has talked about quite a bit. Now on the first day of the 115th Congress, Cruz has made good on his word, The Federalist Papers reports.

From Cruz’s U.S. Senate website:
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) today proposed an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to impose term limits on members of Congress. The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms.

“D.C. is broken,” said Sen. Cruz. “The American people resoundingly agreed on Election Day, and President-elect Donald Trump has committed to putting government back to work for the American people. It is well past time to put an end to the cronyism and deceit that has transformed Washington into a graveyard of good intentions.”

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/breaking-ted-cruz-introduces-awesome-constitutional-amendment
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:35:32 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline ShadowAce

Re: BREAKING: Ted Cruz Introduces AWESOME Constitutional Amendment
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:58:44 pm »
While I wholeheartedly agree with this amendment, and think it should have been included in the original Constitution, I think that the chances of this actually passing are slim and none--and slim has left town.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »
Public "service" as sinecure is not working but I'm not sure that term limits will cure the sin. Attaining public office may become one of those must-do things like getting a college degree by hook or crook.

What lifetime benefits will bestow to these short-timers?

If they do this then I hope they do it right.

debrawiest

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 02:01:39 pm »
While I wholeheartedly agree with this amendment, and think it should have been included in the original Constitution, I think that the chances of this actually passing are slim and none--and slim has left town.

I don't believe our forefathers ever imagined an electorate as ignorant and naive as the current one.  Otherwise, they might have included it.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:11:30 pm »
I don't believe our forefathers ever imagined an electorate as ignorant and naive as the current one.  Otherwise, they might have included it.

Many of our founders were people who willfully stepped aside when they felt that their jobs were done. Guys like Washington and Jefferson couldn't get away from politics fast enough. Others supported a form of royalty or a parliamentary system. I think it was Adams who wanted an aristocratic house of lords to protect the interests of the rich.

The constitution was a bitterly fought battle that killed quite a few friendships and a whole lot of amendments both good and bad.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 04:03:43 pm »
Go Ted!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:10:00 pm »
Let's see if this actually is passed and put into effect or is just more hotdogging by Cruz for attention.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »

I believe I read somewhere that at the time there was talk of introducing term limits as a lot of the FF were wary of a permanent legislating class.

I'm sort of mixed on the idea.

California legislature has term limits I believe. Do conservatives believe CA is a paragon of virtuous government? Doubtful.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:19:34 pm »

I believe I read somewhere that at the time there was talk of introducing term limits as a lot of the FF were wary of a permanent legislating class.

California legislature has term limits I believe. Do conservatives believe CA is a paragon of virtuous government? Doubtful.

I think the issue of an aristocratic governing class was the heart of the issue that broke the friendship between Jefferson and Adams.

We have term limits in Michigan. I like it.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:23:34 pm »
I am not in favor of this - and yes, I understand the reasoning of others.  In my view, we have term limits with our election process despite its "failures" and shortcomings.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 04:24:25 pm »
Let's see if this actually is passed and put into effect or is just more hotdogging by Cruz for attention.

Do you really think that 2/3 of BOTH HOUSES of congress will support a measure to limit their job? It is DOA..  I like to see the House term moved from two years to four years.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:25:02 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »
I like it.  I'm going to call my congressperson (Cruz) and tell him I support it.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:36:32 pm »
I am not in favor of this - and yes, I understand the reasoning of others.  In my view, we have term limits with our election process despite its "failures" and shortcomings.

I would tweak it to "consecutive" term limits. A congressman could only serve 2 or 3 consecutive terms before they have to step aside for a single term to be eligible to run again. A good man could be useful for a long time without getting overly comfortable in the seat.

My congressman served a term, was voted out then voted back in 2 years later and has been there for 3 more terms.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
I would tweak it to "consecutive" term limits. A congressman could only serve 2 or 3 consecutive terms before they have to step aside for a single term to be eligible to run again. A good man could be useful for a long time without getting overly comfortable in the seat.

My congressman served a term, was voted out then voted back in 2 years later and has been there for 3 more terms.

I'd take it a bit farther.  NO federal employee should be allowed to run for office.  No other employer would continue to pay an employee for not doing their job, why should we?

I'd also support this same restriction at my state and local level, but implemented there, where it belongs, not by the feds.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 04:51:55 pm »
Nice thought Ted.  But you are whacky if you think you can .......

(1) get a majority of 535 professional DC Grifters to agree to this
(2) get 38 statehouse semi professional grifters to agree to this.  (they know they'd be next.)
(3) circumnavigate the a hostile collective of judicial grifters to let this get near this far.

Green Eggs and Ham is more plausible in real life.  These are entitlement slugs who are sucking on the left hind teat of the tax payers.   Only blood and pitchforks are going to change anything in this department.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 04:53:52 pm »

(2) get 38 statehouse semi professional grifters to agree to this.  (they know they'd be next.)
(3) circumnavigate the a hostile collective of judicial grifters to let this get near this far.

Green Eggs and Ham is more plausible in real life.  These are entitlement slugs who are sucking on the left hind teat of the tax payers.   Only blood and pitchforks are going to change anything in this department.

You're right.  It looks hard so we shouldn't even try.  Just go straight to the bloodletting.

****slapping

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 04:59:01 pm »

Me too, but I am willing to give it a try. Something like 12 or 18 year limit for both the House and Senate. And a 20 year limit on House and Senate staff too.

Amending the constitution is not necessary just change the rules in the House and Senate. Me thinks Ted might be doing a little grandstanding here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:00:58 pm by jpsb »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 05:03:58 pm »

LOL. Well I agree with you. We need to get back to what the forefathers wanted. Getting rid of women voting will be a great start. Then we can get rid of the people who don't own land. Problem solved.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:52 pm »
I'd take it a bit farther.  NO federal employee should be allowed to run for office. 
I'll see that and raise you no attorney should be allowed to serve as an elected legislator.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »
I don't know it's very hard to overcome the momentum career politicians build up. Folks like Ted Kennedy and John McCain that end up holding their seats till they die or dementia sets in.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 05:10:06 pm »
Am I wrong about this?  It's a two-front attack by Trump and Cruz.

1) PEOTUS hits the GOP over the head with a 2 X 4 regarding the Ethics Panel tinkering...which upset the party politicians in continuing their legendary rags to riches schemes.

2) Ted Cruz introducing term limits...at first glance to a GOP Rep or Senator, would translate into rabid corruption, with members trying to become millionaires in a shorter time span.

:shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

debrawiest

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 05:16:35 pm »
LOL. Well I agree with you. We need to get back to what the forefathers wanted. Getting rid of women voting will be a great start. Then we can get rid of the people who don't own land. Problem solved.

But what if I'm a female landowner?  :whistle:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 05:17:19 pm »
I don't know it's very hard to overcome the momentum career politicians build up. Folks like Ted Kennedy and John McCain that end up holding their seats till they die or dementia sets in.

When John Dingell retired he and John Conyers had more than a century in DC between them. Dingell inherited the seat from his father and passed it on to his wife. The seat has been in the family since the 1930s. I don't think Johnny had a real job in his life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 05:20:21 pm »

That is exactly why the timing for a Convention of States is now.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.