Author Topic: When Does The Electoral College Vote 2016? Clinton's Last Chance Win, Beat Trump, Comes Monday  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Clark Mindock
International Business Times (IBT)
December 17, 2016

It didn’t take long after last month’s presidential election for millions of Americans to cycle through several stages of grief before landing on the third, bargaining, and basically just sit on that level. As election results rushed and then trickled in showing Democrat Hillary Clinton had won the popular vote by a historic margin while still losing the Electoral College to a candidate who had never held elected office and who appeared somewhat disinterested in the reality of governing, people wondered if there was another way.

Detractors in the end coalesced around a long-shot strategy to deny Donald Trump the presidency: Convincing Electoral College voters to be unfaithful to the candidate their states had chosen. After more than a month of speculation about the feasibility of that strategy — several electors have indicated they may refuse to support Trump — the moment of truth will come Monday when ballots are finally cast.
More

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I had an ad on Facebook tonite that said if I knew a certain elector from my state to call him and have him change his vote. No joke.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

This reminds me of the folks who were holding out hope that somehow Trump's nomination could or would be stopped at the RNC convention
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
They used to teach Civics in school so students could better participate in the democratic process.

As such, students would learn the Founders created the Senate "as a saucer to the teacup of Congress" to temper waves of public sentiment which tend to fluctuate wildly.  In short, cooler heads would prevail. 

And prior to the 17th Amendment, state legislators would offer up 2 representatives from each state to be Senators who would represent each state's interests.  Therefore, smaller states would have the same representation as larger states.  This compromise quelled the fears of smaller states who worried about being overrun by sheer numbers.  It also allowed farmers in Iowa to have an equal voice as bankers in New York, for example.

The Founders took these steps because they understood history.  Great republics of the past had been brought down when pure, unrestrained democracy caused extreme shifts in the underpinnings of a society.  In essence, these steps would act much like a governor on a motor, not too fast and not too slow.  Some refer to these checks as Goldilocks measures, not too hot, not too cold.

I mention all this because the Electoral College is a hot topic this particular minute in history and the very same principles apply with the Electoral College as with nominating Senators.  Although a bit quirky, the Electoral College was designed by the Founders to be a saucer to the teacup of the national popular vote.

If each state's Electors were tied to the national vote, smaller rural states would become irrelevant.  Presidential campaigns would spend all of their time in large populous districts.  And as it pertains to the real life situation of today, the large populations of Coasties would overrun the smaller populations of Flyover Country.

The Electoral College, therefore, allows each state to have a representative voice that tempers that of the national popular vote.

Offline Vulcan

Remove ads and other annoying content from your Facebook page for free.

http://www.fbpurity.com/

Oceander

This reminds me of the folks who were holding out hope that somehow Trump's nomination could or would be stopped at the RNC convention

Totally different issue.  Just like a Trump-a$$-kisser to confuse apples and oranges. 

Offline LMAO

Totally different issue.  Just like a Trump-a$$-kisser to confuse apples and oranges.

@Oceander

Well for starters I didn't vote for Trump nor support his candidacy so ease on your emotionally laden comment.  Yet, despite your online childlike outburst, you didn't dispute what I said which is what should be expected when one only feels but doesn't think.

Since you have no ability to engage in conversations like an adult, you now go on ignore

Good God. This election has made people nuts.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:24:47 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

They used to teach Civics in school so students could better participate in the democratic process.

As such, students would learn the Founders created the Senate "as a saucer to the teacup of Congress" to temper waves of public sentiment which tend to fluctuate wildly.  In short, cooler heads would prevail. 

And prior to the 17th Amendment, state legislators would offer up 2 representatives from each state to be Senators who would represent each state's interests.  Therefore, smaller states would have the same representation as larger states.  This compromise quelled the fears of smaller states who worried about being overrun by sheer numbers.  It also allowed farmers in Iowa to have an equal voice as bankers in New York, for example.

The Founders took these steps because they understood history.  Great republics of the past had been brought down when pure, unrestrained democracy caused extreme shifts in the underpinnings of a society.  In essence, these steps would act much like a governor on a motor, not too fast and not too slow.  Some refer to these checks as Goldilocks measures, not too hot, not too cold.

I mention all this because the Electoral College is a hot topic this particular minute in history and the very same principles apply with the Electoral College as with nominating Senators.  Although a bit quirky, the Electoral College was designed by the Founders to be a saucer to the teacup of the national popular vote.

If each state's Electors were tied to the national vote, smaller rural states would become irrelevant.  Presidential campaigns would spend all of their time in large populous districts.  And as it pertains to the real life situation of today, the large populations of Coasties would overrun the smaller populations of Flyover Country.

The Electoral College, therefore, allows each state to have a representative voice that tempers that of the national popular vote.

Good summary. I've seen a poll were there has been a surge of support for the EC. If the poll is correct, I assume folks got curious about the EC and thought,"that makes sense."

Barry Goldwater

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@Oceander

Well for starters I didn't vote for Trump nor support his candidacy so ease on your emotionally laden comment.  Yet, despite your online childlike outburst, you didn't dispute what I said which is what should be expected when one only feels but doesn't think.

Since you have no ability to engage in conversations like an adult, you now go on ignore

Good God. This election has made people nuts
At rhe RNC, people were trying to stop Trump by getting his DELEGATES to defect.  At the EC, people are trying to stop Trump by getting his ELECTORS to defect.

But I guess that's apples and oranges.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There hasn't been more than one faithless elector in a Presidential election, not counting dead candidates, since 1808. Heck, even an organized effort of about five to ten would be a significant enough of a revolt to take notice. They're not going to get the 37 they need by any stretch, though.

We're dealing with party loyalists who specialize in willful ignorance. I remember reading one who was getting lots of emails, and she basically responded "too bad, so sad. I don't like Trump, but I'm voting for him anyway, because of the R." (that, of course, is a paraphrase)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:33:48 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
There hasn't been more than one faithless elector in a Presidential election, not counting dead candidates, since 1808. Heck, even an organized effort of about five to ten would be a significant enough of a revolt to take notice. They're not going to get the 37 they need by any stretch, though.

We're dealing with party loyalists who specialize in willful ignorance. I remember reading one who was getting lots of emails, and she basically responded "too bad, so sad. I don't like Trump, but I'm voting for him anyway, because of the R." (that, of course, is a paraphrase)

An increasingly ignorant and dishonest population (on both sides of the aisle) plays just as big a part. After all we currently have a president elect who was tweeting against the electoral college just 4 years ago and his voters wrongly declaring that the electors must vote the way the people voted.

My liberal brother in law wanted to toss the electoral college 2 weeks ago but he decided that electors would vote against Trump and now loves the EC. When they don't vote against Trump he'll go back to hating the EC. He's a liberal example but I see "conservatives" behaving exactly the same way.

I think we need to face the fact that the electoral college will be gone in our lifetimes with the constitution likely to follow.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Founders had nothing to do with this mistake @Hondo69 .  The 17th amendment, removing the voice of the States from the Federal Government, was ratified in 1913.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:41:49 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Remove ads and other annoying content from your Facebook page for free.

http://www.fbpurity.com/