Author Topic: Looking For a 'Safe Space' In the Ivory Tower. Observations on the post-election in graduate school.  (Read 275 times)

rangerrebew

Looking For a 'Safe Space' In the Ivory Tower
Observations on the post-election in graduate school.

5:45 AM, Dec 05, 2016 | By Frances Tilney Burke
A gate to Harvard Yard is chained and locked shut at Harvard University. Photo credit: Bryan Snyder/Reuters/Newscom

When Hillary Clinton lost the election nearly four weeks ago, one of my graduate school professors ran her concession speech live during my international law class (the United Nations is supreme; universal healthcare is a right; George W. Bush is bad; etc.). His choice didn't bother me particularly. What made me smirk—and I feel horrible even admitting this—was the number of my classmates openly weeping during HRC's big speech.

Weeping? About a free and fair election?

I was a big Mitt Romney fan. I collected signatures for his candidate for lieutenant governor, way back in the day, as one of the three or four under-twenty Republicans registered in the state of Massachusetts. When he lost, I was sad. And I was really irritated and disappointed that President Obama was most Americans' choice. But did I cry publicly? No.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/looking-for-a-safe-space-in-the-ivory-tower/article/2005681?custom_click=rss
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:55:34 pm by rangerrebew »