Author Topic: The Future of Free Speech on Social Media Looks Grim  (Read 4393 times)

FurriesRock

Re: The Future of Free Speech on Social Media Looks Grim
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 04:08:42 pm »
First off...if no one has told you this yet in your young life...nothing is fair in life or in work.  Your mistaken belief is that everything should be handed to you and that everything should be "fair".

Secondly...there is no such thing as the perfect employer.  And nothing says you are guarenteed a job.

Any contract you sign has already been looked at from every conceivable angle by the legal department to make sure it would stand up in court...so your legal argument is moot.

The employer should hold the power.  He's the one that has expended the money built the capital investment and created the business.  His company his terms.  You don't like it?  Not his problem.  He'll find someone with the skill set that does find the terms of employment agreeable and pay him accordingly.

If you don't like the way that works...start your own company and set your own rules.

So, you would agree then that when workers start unions and force concessions from an employer they are justified in doing so, because life isn't fair, right?  Cause, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 04:13:19 pm »
This is a compelling reason to pass legislation to require businesses to follow the bill of rights as well.  Also, allowing businesses to create their own little tyrannical fiefdoms runs counter to the American ideal of freedom.  Freedom isn't freedom if your workplace can restrict it without proper justification, and that it might hurt the bottom line isn't a strong enough justification.

Not just businesses, what about your home?  You should be required to follow the bill of rights for non-residents in your own home as well which means anyone should be able to enter your home, say what they want, for example. No matter who they are, they should also be allowed to bear arms in your home and practice the religion of their choosing in your home too. If we are going to say that private property for businesses is no longer treated as private, then it should apply to your home as well. You should not be able to restrict anything that is deemed free via the Bill of Rights in your home.

Now excuse me while I rearrange your furniture to practice my religion of sacrificing chickens in a blood lined circle in your living room.

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 04:19:26 pm »
This is a compelling reason to pass legislation to require businesses to follow the bill of rights as well.  Also, allowing businesses to create their own little tyrannical fiefdoms runs counter to the American ideal of freedom.  Freedom isn't freedom if your workplace can restrict it without proper justification, and that it might hurt the bottom line isn't a strong enough justification.

This is tyranny imposed upon business owners.  They have the same rights to control their property and the conduct in it as do all others.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

FurriesRock

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 04:20:48 pm »
Not just businesses, what about your home?  You should be required to follow the bill of rights for non-residents in your own home as well which means anyone should be able to enter your home, say what they want, for example. No matter who they are, they should also be allowed to bear arms in your home and practice the religion of their choosing in your home too. If we are going to say that private property for businesses is no longer treated as private, then it should apply to your home as well. You should not be able to restrict anything that is deemed free via the Bill of Rights in your home.

Now excuse me while I rearrange your furniture to practice my religion of sacrificing chickens in a blood lined circle in your living room.

If you bothered to actually read the thread, I already answered that straw-man argument. 

FurriesRock

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 04:22:38 pm »
This is tyranny imposed upon business owners.  They have the same rights to control their property and the conduct in it as do all others.

Why?  Because you think they should?  Should the rights of non-person persons, which is what a business is legally, trump the rights of actual human beings? 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 04:31:03 pm »
This is a compelling reason to pass legislation to require businesses to follow the bill of rights as well.

And even more compelling reasons not to.  Just imagine if people had the same free speech rights at work that they have in public.  Tell your boss to "F'off"?  Protected free speech.  Yell at a customer because you don't like their political views?  Protected free speech.

It's a terrible idea.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 04:32:00 pm »
So, you would agree then that when workers start unions and force concessions from an employer they are justified in doing so, because life isn't fair, right?  Cause, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Forcing someone to do anything they don't agree with...or in this case agreeing to something that could cause harm to their business is never a good thing. 
Unions started out with the best of intentions and early on did some good for the average worker.

Now...as we've seen with companies like Hostess...they'd rather bankrupt their employer and cause everyone to lose their job than to be reasonable and work with he people paying their wages to find an equitable deal.

Unions have become more political than they should have ever become.  The bosses at the top that run the unions don't represent the rank and file anymore.

So no I don't agree with your attempt at a "gotcha".
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »
That is a good point, but do you believe that the proper behavior should apply outside of the workplace as well?  Should a business be able to dictate your personal life, or how you conduct yourself outside of the workplace in either public or private?

A business does not dictate your personal life.  They can set any standard they like for their employees.  They can fire you for any reason.  Just as you can quit for any reason.

Keep in mind the Bill of Rights is a poor name for a limitation set on government.  It is not a list of rights that individuals have; it is a list of limitations set upon the government.

FurriesRock

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 04:48:55 pm »
Forcing someone to do anything they don't agree with...or in this case agreeing to something that could cause harm to their business is never a good thing. 
Unions started out with the best of intentions and early on did some good for the average worker.

Now...as we've seen with companies like Hostess...they'd rather bankrupt their employer and cause everyone to lose their job than to be reasonable and work with he people paying their wages to find an equitable deal.

Unions have become more political than they should have ever become.  The bosses at the top that run the unions don't represent the rank and file anymore.

So no I don't agree with your attempt at a "gotcha".

It's like you said, life isn't fair.  So, who cares, right?

Offline thackney

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 04:52:54 pm »
Why?  Because you think they should?  Should the rights of non-person persons, which is what a business is legally, trump the rights of actual human beings?

Because business owners are still individuals owning property.  Their rights did not end because they started a business.

The bill of rights is a limitation set upon government.  Not a absolute right of people at all times in any place.  You still cannot falsely yell "fire" in the theater without consequences.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »

You haven't matured much from your days at CU I see.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

geronl

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:36 pm »

No. The bill of rights tells the government what it cannot do, it in no way requires the private sector to act like the government. The American ideal of freedom is nothing like what you've posted

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 07:04:09 pm »

I'm  going to go out on a limb here and say that you must hate the Citizens United decision?

If you're able to stick around here for long, you will find that there is nothing farther from the truth about most posters here.  We want limited government, because all big government can do is tilt the playing field to whomever is willing to vote for them in larger numbers.  Since, as you are fond of pointing out, Businesses are "nobodies" then they get zero votes and will always be at the low end of the field.  Only people with zero understanding of business think that's swell.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 07:12:33 pm »
You haven't matured much from your days at CU I see.

Furriesdidn'trock is a Dem Plant!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:13:26 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 07:20:43 pm »
Furriesdidn'trock is a Dem Plant!

If he is, he will be discovered and sorted out in short order.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 07:23:55 pm »
If he is, he will be discovered and sorted out in short order.

There is a stink wafting from him.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 12:46:35 am »

That is not true. Not all businesses are non-person persons. That is true only of the corporate model. Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships are an extension of their owners.

As a sole proprietor, I am as directly liable for my business actions as I am any other action.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:51 am »
Because business owners are still individuals owning property.  Their rights did not end because they started a business.

What I wouldn't give to have folks like these invest all the blood, money, and risk into a business of their own, and see how much their opinions would change.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 12:54:35 am »
Furrie has already left us?  Somehow I figured him/her for a short-timer.

Wingnut

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 12:59:55 am »

His pelt was not felt.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 01:03:23 am »

@Sanguine, I think I saw him being boosted up into a cattle rail-car headed out of town a few hours ago...
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 01:04:27 am »
His pelt was not felt.

Good thing, too, because if you touched it I'm never speaking to you again.
 888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 01:05:10 am »
@Sanguine, I think I saw him being boosted up into a cattle rail-car headed out of town a few hours ago...

I was thinking more along the lines of a rail...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 01:11:03 am »
I was thinking more along the lines of a rail...

So was I.  I blew the metaphor.  Sorry!  8888crybaby
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2016, 01:11:05 am »
Good thing, too, because if you touched it I'm never speaking to you again.
 888high58888

:pondering:   
You must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy was a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong........