Author Topic: Trump douses White House hopes of Cruz, Rubio and others  (Read 3417 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump douses White House hopes of Cruz, Rubio and others
« on: November 27, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »

The GOP's crowded bench will have to remain seated — possibly for a long time.

By Burgess Everett

11/27/16 07:42 AM EST

Early this month, a long list of Republicans stood poised to lead the party forward after yet another crushing White House defeat. The GOP would have a menu of options to take on Hillary Clinton in 2020: the hard-edged conservatism of Ted Cruz, the lofty oratory of Marco Rubio, the earnest wonkery of Paul Ryan or the brawny national security vision of Tom Cotton.

Instead, the GOP’s crowded bench of 40-something upstarts will have to remain seated. Their short-term presidential hopes have been essentially extinguished by Trump’s conquest of both the Republican Party and Clinton.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-republicans-cruz-rubio-231717
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump douses White House hopes of Cruz, Rubio and others
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »
Their short-term presidential hopes have been essentially extinguished by Trump’s conquest of both the Republican Party and Clinton.

How nice of Politico to keep the Republican circular firing squad active.

Both men will be in their fifties in four or eight years ... and will have benefited from a little more "seasoning", perfectly positioned for another run--or a couple of runs--at the gold ring. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »

By Burgess Everett

Early this month, a long list of Republicans stood poised to lead the party forward after yet another crushing White House defeat. The GOP would have a menu of options to take on Hillary Clinton in 2020: the hard-edged conservatism of Ted Cruz, the lofty oratory of Marco Rubio, the earnest wonkery of Paul Ryan or the brawny national security vision of Tom Cotton.

Instead, the GOP’s crowded bench of 40-something upstarts will have to remain seated. Their short-term presidential hopes have been essentially extinguished by Trump’s conquest of both the Republican Party and Clinton.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-republicans-cruz-rubio-231717

Trump will destroy the GOP and conservatism.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:31:44 pm »

He will go to war with congressional conservatives, on matters of spending and deficits.  They will have an opportunity to distinguish themselves from Trump during that time, even though they'll be outnumbered.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:43:12 pm »
He will go to war with congressional conservatives, on matters of spending and deficits.  They will have an opportunity to distinguish themselves from Trump during that time, even though they'll be outnumbered.

Why not wait and see what happens @cato potatoe ?  In the meantime, Conservatives should read The Art of the Deal, cross their t's and dot their i's on policy, and take their seat at the table prepared to make their case for the benefit of the American people.

Conservatives have a voice in this administration.  They should use it wisely and often---not for battle, not to "distinguish"---but to tangibly help the American citizen.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 05:08:01 pm »
Why not wait and see what happens @cato potatoe ?  In the meantime, Conservatives should read The Art of the Deal, cross their t's and dot their i's on policy, and take their seat at the table prepared to make their case for the benefit of the American people.

Conservatives have a voice in this administration.  They should use it wisely and often---not for battle, not to "distinguish"---but to tangibly help the American citizen.

Have you read it, @Right_in_Virginia?  I have to admit I've only read parts of it.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 06:30:21 pm »

By Burgess Everett

more
Since there has been a whole lot of campaign promise backtracking going on, I would think this prognostication is a bit premature.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 06:39:54 pm »

There will definitely be some big fights between them and that's a good thing.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 07:07:24 pm »
There will be all new faces too; Tom Cotton might be a good future nominee for the party.

It takes more to be a conservative than just regurgitating what Rush Limbaugh says. Action is needed also.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »

Here's the problem: after the campaign Trump ran, there is no mandate for his plan, nor is there a mandate for conservatism.  Trump's budget was scored to raise the public debt from 77 to 105 percent of GDP over the next ten years!  If Paul Ryan has the guts to tell him [no] then it's going to get ugly.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 07:52:18 pm »

I think he will make it stronger.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 07:53:14 pm »
Have you read it, @Right_in_Virginia?  I have to admit I've only read parts of it.

I read the ghost writer's take on it ... not flattering.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 08:18:25 pm »
What?  That can't be you, @Emjay, saying that.  It just can't be.

I meant that he will alienate the sane wing of the Party and make them more amenable to real conservatives.  I don't think he will last out his term.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »
I meant that he will alienate the sane wing of the Party and make them more amenable to real conservatives.  I don't think he will last out his term.

Let's hope so.

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »

Agreed. Whether he's our first impeached and convicted president or resigns is up to him.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 08:38:24 pm »
There will be no fights.

I predict a knock down drag out for the next four years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbG6Xac61oE
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 08:49:51 pm »
Hopefully, it will be 8 years of Trump followed by 8 years of Pence. So, I see it as being far in the future when someone else will run on the ticket as President for the GOP besides Trump and Pence.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:12:45 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »
Since there has been a whole lot of campaign promise backtracking going on, I would think this prognostication is a bit premature.

Only if one takes the mainstream media as gospel.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 08:52:38 pm »
Rubio should be well-seasoned and ready to take on then-president Warren in 2024.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 02:10:58 am »
Trump will be impeached within two years...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 02:14:12 am »
Trump will be impeached within two years...

I"m beginning to think he'll be 25th amendment'd out, frankly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 02:28:28 am »
Hopefully, it will be 8 years of Trump followed by 8 years of Pence. So, I see it as being far in the future when someone else will run on the ticket as President for the GOP besides Trump and Pence.
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 02:36:24 am »
Pence sold out his principles and Trump never had any.

I sincerely hope they don't make it to inauguration before they are impeached

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 02:42:22 am »

I"m beginning to think he'll be 25th amendment'd out, frankly.

...and there's that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:59:03 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 02:42:42 am »
I think he will make it stronger.

Agreed.  :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.