Author Topic: ‘Sanctuary California’ Faces Bankruptcy if Trump Withholds Federal Funds  (Read 2279 times)

rangerrebew

‘Sanctuary California’ Faces Bankruptcy if Trump Withholds Federal Funds

by CHRISS W. STREET
    26 Nov 2016
    Newport Beach, CA

Although Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti warned President-elect Trump that defunding Sanctuary Cities would cause “social, economic and security problems,” Sanctuary California could face bankruptcy if the Trump administration follows through on threats to pull billions in federal funding.

There are 300 “Sanctuary Cities” and counties around the United States that have policies in place blocking local law enforcement from complying with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainer requests for immigration holds.

An ICE detainer is a written request for a local jail or other law enforcement agency to detain an individual for an additional 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays) after his or her release date, in order to provide ICE agents extra time to decide whether to take the individual into federal custody for removal purposes.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...ng-bankruptcy/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Bummer, dude.

Oceander

And under just what authority is Trump going to withhold federal funds?  Which funds?  Apparently Trump would rather tie the U.S. up in knots of litigation for the next four years.  If he follows through he will make it that much easier for Elizabeth Warren to beat him in 2020.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The law needs to be looked at and then if it is determined that sanctuary cities harbor illegal aliens, simply enough, they shouldn't get federal funds.

Offline TomSea

Sanctuary Cities could also have a lot of voter fraud for all we know.

This needs to be closely checked if they are allowing non-citizens to vote.

Offline TomSea

You can't let people break the law flagrantly, what about people who have had trouble with the law, even minor brushes, let's say someone once shop-lifted, minor offense; so, what kind of nation forgives some law breaking but comes down on others?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fishrrman to Mr. Trump:

Just do it.

(expletive deleted) 'em.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You can't let people break the law flagrantly, what about people who have had trouble with the law, even minor brushes, let's say someone once shop-lifted, minor offense; so, what kind of nation forgives some law breaking but comes down on others?
You're right. Now about those laws and local ordinances 'legalizing' marijuana...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

I remember when Jimmah "The Peanut" made the last holdout State adopt the double nickle lest they lose all federal highway funds.

Maybe Trumpassus could do an end run like that.

Offline MajorClay

If California goes bankrupt, we should not be forced to pay.

Oceander

A nation with a sense of proportion, good judgment and the realization that even government resources are finite. 

And do not forget: this country was founded by criminals; from the perspective of the British crown, of which they were subjects and to which they had sworn fealty, they committed high treason.  Should we now correct the error in prosecution and prosecute them posthumously?  After all, as you say, what sort of nation condones such flagrant law-breaking.

Offline 17 Oaks

• The Ranch in S Texas
Sanctuary Cities could also have a lot of voter fraud for all we know.

This needs to be closely checked if they are allowing non-citizens to vote.
Challenge this:  Lets just say for discussion purposes only.  1 Million illegals voted or any other number you chose.  Now state how you will prove either way they did or did not.

Fact is you cannot, since no state in the US currently requires PROOF of US CITIZENSHIP you cannot prove fraud nor disprove it.  Using that logic then we can say its likely we have illegals voting.
Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...

Oceander

Challenge this:  Lets just say for discussion purposes only.  1 Million illegals voted or any other number you chose.  Now state how you will prove either way they did or did not.

Fact is you cannot, since no state in the US currently requires PROOF of US CITIZENSHIP you cannot prove fraud nor disprove it.  Using that logic then we can say its likely we have illegals voting.

Testimony that puts someone at the polling place casting a ballot and evidence that the person was not born here and has not been naturalized. 

Offline TomSea

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/24630-vote-fraud-monitoring-group-says-three-million-noncitizens-voted-in-presidential-election

Voter fraud exists,

The Governor of Texas has said he is going to shut down sanctuary cities in that state,

So, I guess, he doesn't know he's going to get sued, oh know.

Is this a conservative forum?

Oceander

Is this a conservative forum?

Do you know how often I've seen that canard posted?  And how often it's posted by someone who realizes they don't have an argument?

There are plenty of arguments for the case, but they all depend on evidence.  The mere fact that evidence will be hard to get doesn't allow you to dispense with it. 

Offline TomSea

Do you know how often I've seen that canard posted?  And how often it's posted by someone who realizes they don't have an argument?

There are plenty of arguments for the case, but they all depend on evidence.  The mere fact that evidence will be hard to get doesn't allow you to dispense with it.

Well, I posted a link so I guess I have an argument. But you can still call people racists, we always see conservatives do that not.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, I posted a link so I guess I have an argument. But you can still call people racists, we always see conservatives do that not.
Sorry, Tom, I missed the "racist" part.

I don't think much calling people "racist" is being done except by the people who are here illegally and their supporters, unless someone is acting, well, racist.

Probably the single biggest facilitator of illegal aliens voting is "motor voter" in states where illegals can obtain drivers' licenses. Maryland signs 'em up as Democrats when they get their license. There is the problem--license in hand and a registered voter all in one swoop.

If they must be licensed, the license should clearly delineate immigration status for people other than US citizens, and automatic voter registration should stop.

The truth is that we have no way to know how many of these people are out there, partly because we have no idea how many illegals are in the country. The 12 million number has been waved about for thirty years, surely there is no state of equilibrium with equal numbers of illegals being repatriated and entering, and no allowance has been made for ordinary reproductive processes increasing that number.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Probably the single biggest facilitator of illegal aliens voting is "motor voter" in states where illegals can obtain drivers' licenses. Maryland signs 'em up as Democrats when they get their license. There is the problem--license in hand and a registered voter all in one swoop.

I used to think the left's support for motor voter was hypocritical.  They say, because it is harder for minorities to get ID, that requiring ID to vote is...racism (the requiring ID part, not thinking minorities are somehow less capable of acquiring ID -- you figure that one out).  But then if you encourage people to to register when they get an ID, aren't you encouraging voter registration to non-minorities at a higher proportion?

Then I looked it up.  It also requires the States to encourage enrollment when people sign up for public assistance (and some other stuff).  Now I get it.  Motor voter is a clever way to hide the fact that they are encourage people on the dole to vote.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.