Author Topic: Trump picks Betsy DeVos to be education secretary  (Read 3396 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump picks Betsy DeVos to be education secretary
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:14:27 pm »
Trump picks Betsy DeVos to be education secretary
Posted 1:07 PM, November 23, 2016, by FOX 17 News

WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump has selected a charter school advocate and GOP donor from Michigan to be education secretary.

Betsy DeVos becomes the second woman chosen to fill a spot in Trump’s Cabinet. Earlier Wednesday, Trump named South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations earlier in the day.

Both selections require Senate confirmation.

Trump calls DeVos “a brilliant and passionate education advocate.”

DeVos heads the advocacy group American Federation for Children. She’s known for supporting charter schools and vouchers.

Before Trump’s announcement, some conservatives were complaining about DeVos’ ties to the political establishment. They also warned that she previously supported Common Core standards that Trump railed against during the campaign.

The 58-year-old DeVos is a former Michigan Republican Party chairwoman. Her husband, Dick, is an heir to the Amway fortune and a former company president.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Trump picks Betsy DeVos to be education secretary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 06:21:17 pm »
She is part of the Amway DeVos family. Forgiving that however, she does seem to be pretty Conservative.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:26:01 pm »
Swell. This broad has a soft spot for Common Core.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
   HUD, but I wanted Education, Donnie......
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 06:30:12 pm »
FROM Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_DeVos

DeVos served as chairwoman of the board of Alliance for School Choice[27] She heads the All Children Matter PAC which she and her husband founded in 2003 to promote school vouchers, tax credits to businesses that give private school scholarships, and candidates who support these causes.[28][29] Over the years, DeVos and her husband have provided millions in funding for the organization.[30]

Her other activities on behalf of public-school reform have included membership on the boards of directors of the Advocates for School Choice, the American Education Reform Council, and the Education Freedom Fund.[31] She has chaired the boards of Choices for Children, and Great Lakes Education Project (GLEP).[32] She has described GLEP as being "focused on supporting candidates who share a commitment to the issue of meaningful education reform," and CFC as being an "education reform watchdog organization" that is "focused on raising public awareness as to the merits of education reform."[18]

She has also been on the boards of the Acton Institute, the American Council of Young Political Leaders, Compass Arts Board, and was finance co-chair of the American Dream PAC.[33] According to a Florida publication, DeVos "excels in her efforts as an ambassador for governors with interest in this subject, like New Jersey's Chris Christie."[26]

DeVos said in the Spring 2013 issue of Philanthropy magazine that she was more optimistic than ever about school choice, noting that within the previous year, "the number of students in educational-choice programs grew by about 40,000." She said that "the public's awareness that traditional public schools are not succeeding" has "helped people become more open to what were once considered really radical reforms—reforms like vouchers, tax credits, and education savings accounts."[2]

She said that her involvement in the school-choice issue had increased gradually. A visit to the Potter's House Christian School in Grand Rapids had played a role, because the parents "were doing everything in their power to have their kids in an environment that was safe, where they were learning, and where the atmosphere was just electric with curiosity, with love for one another." Since "paying tuition was a real sacrifice" for the parents, DeVos and her husband "started supporting individual students at the school, and that grew into a larger commitment."[2]

Later, she also started "a foundation that gave scholarships to low-income families so that parents could decide where their kids would go to school." But she and her husband realized that "while it was wonderful to help some families through the scholarship fund, it was never going to fundamentally address the real problem." It was this realization, she said, that drove them to become involved in the movement for school choice

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »
   HUD, but I wanted Education, Donnie......

WHy not HHS Ben? You're a doctor.

geronl

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »
Abolish the DoE and get it over with, we don't need a "Bigger, better, gold-plated government"

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 06:56:37 pm »
Abolish the DoE and get it over with, we don't need a "Bigger, better, gold-plated government"

In fact, didn't he talk about getting rid of the DoE?

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »
She favors common core, which Trump campaigned against. Another day, another Trump lie exposed. 

Silly little Trumpkins, y'all got played like cheap violins. 

88finger point

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 06:59:03 pm »
You guys ever get conned into an Amway seminar by friends?

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 07:00:41 pm »

Once, many, many moons ago.  Pretty much everyone was pleasant though, and there were munchies, so it wasn't a totally wasted evening.

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:01:59 pm »

:amen: :amen: :amen: and again :amen:

The news coverage is so slanted that it's hard to tell what's going to happen in the near term. I sure would love to see a hiring freeze for the fed govt and then a purge of the dead weight. Upgrading the technology of the govt might make this easier to do.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:03:14 pm by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 07:05:12 pm »

Nope, though I was invited to several seminars. My wife was suckered into Watkins Spices for a couple of years, though.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 07:23:14 pm »

For a long time, a few friends and myself would go to as many MLM seminars as possible to debunk them. It was a bit of a sport. My Master's thesis was on the financials of most MLMs and how they actually build their profit margins on people failing. They don't want success, they want people buying into the program and failing so they don't have to pay out the promised commissions. It only works for a few people who are either at the top or know how to play the real game. (interestingly, Amway was pretty flat regarding profit in this regard, Mary Kay was the only one I studied that actually did better when their associates sold and made commission).

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 07:26:45 pm »
She favors common core, which Trump campaigned against. Another day, another Trump lie exposed. 

Silly little Trumpkins, y'all got played like cheap violins. 

88finger point

You are right, big Common Core advocate and Clinton donor to boot.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/23/potential-trump-education-chief-pick-betsy-devos-pro-common-core-family-donated-clinton-foundation/

Even Breitbart is not happy now.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »

If they wanted success Amway would sell their products through WalMart

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 07:28:13 pm »

EXCELLENT idea!  I second the motion!
  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 07:29:21 pm »
You are right, big Common Core advocate and Clinton donor to boot.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/23/potential-trump-education-chief-pick-betsy-devos-pro-common-core-family-donated-clinton-foundation/

Even Breitbart is not happy now.

What idiots. Easy for Trump to be against things. Now he has to govern with actual ideas, and pick people to lead the government. They're a bunch of low intelligence fools who never thought Trump through. Now we get to hear them bitch for the next 4 years. Their tears will be nearly as delicious as liberal ones.

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:28 pm »

If they wanted success Amway would sell their products through WalMart

The whole point of MLM schemes is they sell (usually) high quality goods at way inflated prices. Because they're high quality people won't realize that they're drastically overpriced.

We have purchased a few MLM products... for example the Cutco knife set my parents bought is extremely good... it's just a complete ripoff is all.

geronl

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:36 pm »
Now we get to hear them bitch for the next 4 years. Their tears will be nearly as delicious as liberal ones.

Yep.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 07:50:08 pm »

The whole point of MLM schemes is they sell (usually) high quality goods at way inflated prices. Because they're high quality people won't realize that they're drastically overpriced.

We have purchased a few MLM products... for example the Cutco knife set my parents bought is extremely good... it's just a complete ripoff is all.

Ah yes...Cutco knives. I paid my tuition with a nephew who was "raising money for college" by hitting up his aunts and uncles with his canned spiel.

The lesson I learned? Just give the kid $100 and call it a day. Both of us will come out ahead in that deal. I think his commission on a $300 set of kitchen knives was around $60. You can probably get a similar knife set at Walmart for half that.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 08:02:29 pm »

Betsy DeVos
‏@BetsyDeVos

Many of you are asking about Common Core. To clarify, I am not a supporter—period. Read my full stance, here: http://betsydevos.com/qa/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 09:05:53 pm »
...hmm...I wonder how much money she and her family donated.  Keeping in mind Trump won Michigan, I think he's repaying the favor.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 09:10:36 pm »
She favors common core
Apparently not. At least, she denies it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:12 pm »
Swell. This broad has a soft spot for Common Core.

Allegedly, she was for common core before she was against it.  Or something.