Author Topic: There’s a federal database of undocumented immigrants like me. Don’t let Trump get it.  (Read 389 times)

rangerrebew

There’s a federal database of undocumented immigrants like me. Don’t let Trump get it.

DREAMers can't afford to wait and see what the next administration does.

November 22 at 6:00 AM

Donald Trump spent the presidential campaign promising to kick me and other undocumented immigrants out of the country. Now a federal database created to protect those of us who arrived as children could help him do just that.

More than 800,000 undocumented immigrants who were brought here as kids, myself included, have willingly handed over our personal information to the federal government as part of a program called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The program, started by President Obama through executive action in 2012, was supposed to temporarily shield us from deportation and give us temporary employment authorization.

When I applied for the temporary status in 2013, I had to provide U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with every detail of my personal information — school records, bank accounts, my original Argentine passport and birth certificate and more, along with my address and every location I’d lived for the last 20 years. I included a check for $465 and went to a USCIS office near me in Miami to have my fingerprints and photograph taken. Since then, I have completed an application for renewal twice, with updates on my current address, everywhere I’ve lived since my previous application, and my current income. I received my most recent renewal just last month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.7c845480ec9d