Author Topic: Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?  (Read 6595 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:12 pm »
If so he'd be the only one. The clearest the code gets is to say a natural born citizen is one born to one or both citizen parents.

It's not even a question of the code, though.   His argument is that the code is irrelevant to the NBC question, and that question is resolved solely by the Constitution itself.

That's why I was asking if he thinks there is any ambiguity in the Constitution as to the meaning of "natural born citizen", or whether it is crystal-clear.  I sort of can't even fathom that argument, but presumably some of the birthers believe that to be the case.

Online libertybele

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:18 pm »

They're going to be propping up Ginsberg for another eight years, even if it takes hiring Dick Clark's makeup team to do it.

Perhaps and maybe longevity is in her genes; in March she will be 84 years old and in 4 years she will be 88 and in 8 years, 92. She is certainly no spring chicken.  Within in the next 8 years (not counting Scalia) it is highly probable that we will be replacing at least 1 justice and maybe 2.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline chae

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2016, 08:16:48 pm »
I thought Ginsberg said she was retiring if Trump won?

Online libertybele

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 08:24:07 pm »

As I recall her comment was something to the affect that she wasn't about to allow Trump to pick her replacement.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »
:beer: I've had Tom on ignore soon after he started posting in this forum for a reason.

Yep!!  His only virtue is that he posts short idiotic posts unlike some trumpers who post long idiotic posts.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 09:47:15 pm »
That may be true in some cases, but the value of a young, reliably conservative, brilliant legal mind on the Court is almost incalcuble.  And this would likely be Cruz' only chance to be confirmed, because he'd be a replacement for Scalia who would not swing control of the Court.  When someone like Breyer or Ginsburg needs to be replaced, it will be an absolute war, and getting someone like Cruz confirmed would be almost impossible.

In other words, I think that planning on him being the next appointment likely won't work.

My opinion.  Elect him president after we've learned our trump lesson and we can totally depend on him to appoint conservative judges.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2016, 04:43:27 am »

The key is that she didn't retire when Obama could replace her even as her health was failing.  She was probably so embarrassed with Kagan and Sotomayor that she chose to stick it out and wait for someone else to enter the White House.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2016, 05:05:54 am »

IMO Ginsberg and the dems were both arrogantly stupid, to miss the chance for Obama to select her replacement.

It may cost them a seat.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:52 am »
My opinion.  Elect him president after we've learned our trump lesson and we can totally depend on him to appoint conservative judges.

888high58888  :patriot:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2016, 05:13:41 am »
The key is that she didn't retire when Obama could replace her even as her health was failing.  She was probably so embarrassed with Kagan and Sotomayor that she chose to stick it out and wait for someone else to enter the White House.

You're overthinking it.

SHE WAS ASLEEP.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 06:40:11 pm »

:amen:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 06:42:23 pm »
Maybe cruz ought to win some states in the Evangelical south first.  That was suppose to be his stronghold. I thought we were still a Democracy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:42:49 pm by TomSea »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »
Maybe cruz ought to win some states in the Evangelical south first.  That was suppose to be his stronghold. I thought we were still a Democracy.

Point 1: the USA is not a democracy, but a representative republic.
Point 2: What does Cruz's failure to win primaries in the south have anything to do with being nominated for the Supreme Court?

Once again, you've demonstrated you're afflicted with Cruz Derangement Syndrome.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 06:50:36 pm »
El Gordo Cruz and Glenn Beck's spiel about their being the only conservatives let alone constitutional conservatives around are going to take a beating; when the Senate and House convene and El Gordo is nothing but another face in the crowd.

At least, folks like Rick Perry have real leadership experience.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »
El Gordo Cruz and Glenn Beck's spiel about their being the only conservatives let alone constitutional conservatives around are going to take a beating; when the Senate and House convene and El Gordo is nothing but another face in the crowd.

You really need a new schtick. This one is way too predictable.

Oceander

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »

I didn't realize Supreme Court Justice was an elective office. 

Offline rodamala

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2016, 06:55:51 pm »
Point 1: the USA is not a democracy, but a representative republic.
Point 2: What does Cruz's failure to win primaries in the south have anything to do with being nominated for the Supreme Court?

Once again, you've demonstrated you're afflicted with Cruz Derangement Syndrome.

The guy is just a foamer... Just mash the ignore button.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2016, 06:59:46 pm »

I know, I really should. There's something about jumping back on a thread that's been dead for nearly a week that deserved a reply.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »
I know, I really should. There's something about jumping back on a thread that's been dead for nearly a week that deserved a reply.

A whole week? Well then obviously it was time for a reminder that Cruz is a 'phony conservative who once campaigned with Donald Trump'.

Offline verga

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »
@rodamala One of the smartest things I did.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2016, 07:10:33 pm »

Seriously?  We were never a democracy, @TomSea:thud:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »

You are aware that "Gordo" means fat, are you not?  And, if so, it makes absolutely no sense.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2016, 07:29:15 pm »
You are aware that "Gordo" means fat, are you not?  And, if so, it makes absolutely no sense.

First I've heard of Cruz being referred to as "Gordo". Tomas is just trying to be cute, with decidedly mixed results, particularly when he leaves the Trump Echo Chamber.