Author Topic: Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?  (Read 6616 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 02:11:54 pm »
I think a lot of those pushing him for the supreme court just want to get him out of the senate.

That may be true in some cases, but the value of a young, reliably conservative, brilliant legal mind on the Court is almost incalcuble.  And this would likely be Cruz' only chance to be confirmed, because he'd be a replacement for Scalia who would not swing control of the Court.  When someone like Breyer or Ginsburg needs to be replaced, it will be an absolute war, and getting someone like Cruz confirmed would be almost impossible.

In other words, I think that planning on him being the next appointment likely won't work.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:13:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline verga

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 02:18:16 pm »
Yeah.  I actually meant both at once.
It is illegal for you to work for two branches of the Government at the same time. God Forbid Paul Ryan has to fulfill the obligations of the 25th ammend,ment, he would have to resign his position in congress.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:07 pm »
Cruz couldn't even win states like Georgia or Tennessee, the so-called Evangelical strongholds; sure, he was going to now win states like Pennsylvania.  Now, again, because of the Trump breakthroughs; Republican candidates should have more of a chance in those states, assuming the new administration has some successes.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 02:34:52 pm »
I'm good with whatever he decides. A happy Cruz is a highly effective Cruz.

IMO, a Cruz with righteous anger is far more effective...but I get your point.

In the Senate, he's 1 of 100. On SCOTUS, he's 1 of 9.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 02:43:59 pm »

And one of nine for life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 02:47:15 pm »
Cruz couldn't even win states like Georgia or Tennessee, the so-called Evangelical strongholds; sure, he was going to now win states like Pennsylvania.  Now, again, because of the Trump breakthroughs; Republican candidates should have more of a chance in those states, assuming the new administration has some successes.

Your act is wearing thin! VERY thin in fact!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 02:49:09 pm »

In the senate he can introduce and vote on good legislation again and again and again. The supreme court sees less than a dozen big cases every year and doesn't even rule on many of those.

Online libertybele

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 02:49:48 pm »
That may be true in some cases, but the value of a young, reliably conservative, brilliant legal mind on the Court is almost incalcuble.  And this would likely be Cruz' only chance to be confirmed, because he'd be a replacement for Scalia who would not swing control of the Court.  When someone like Breyer or Ginsburg needs to be replaced, it will be an absolute war, and getting someone like Cruz confirmed would be almost impossible.

In other words, I think that planning on him being the next appointment likely won't work.

The battle to replace someone like Ginsburg or Breyer is dependent on our ability to hold our majority in the Senate. IF the GOP delivers within the next couple of years, I would anticipate that our majority will grow in the Senate.  If voters are pleased, there is no reason we should lose seats; yes we have a full majority right now, but it is a majority that we cannot and should not take for granted.  IF Cruz is elected president (and I think he will be if he runs) it will indicate that the electorate has shifted more to the right and along with it we will have a more conservative Senate.

The opportune time to broaden the conservative movement and the plan to get more conservatives in the White House is now!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »
Your act is wearing thin! VERY thin in fact!

:beer: I've had Tom on ignore soon after he started posting in this forum for a reason.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 02:52:16 pm »
I think a Ted Cruz on SCOTUS would be of maximum benefit to conservatives long term.

Count me in agreement.  Cruz will be far more effective and influential on the SCOTUS,  than as a bomb thrower in the Senate.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
And one of nine for life.

I'm still not sure how I feel about a Cruz nomination right now. But I'm beginning to think his appointment to SCOTUS might be the single most beneficial thing conservatives can expect from this administration.

Trump is shaping up to be focused on economics and trade. Which is fine, but anyone expecting earth shaking departures from the establishment's other current priorities will be sorely disappointed.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:55:54 pm by skeeter »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 03:08:51 pm »
Count me in agreement.  Cruz will be far more effective and influential on the SCOTUS,  than as a bomb thrower in the Senate.

I expect that Governor Abbott will appoint a conservative to replace Ted.

IMHO, for Ted to make a successful run for President, he would need to completely revamp his style of speech. I'm not saying "dumb it down", but be less preachy. He could learn a lesson from Dave Brat.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 03:10:34 pm »

That could very well be true. Not to mention that winning the Presidency is still a crap shoot, and it's only for 8 years max. He's practically dead in the Senate. I'm much more comfortable with him on the SCOTUS.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
I'm sure people Like McConnell love the idea of getting Cruz out of the senate knowing that the senatate will never confirm him for the court.

@Cripplecreek

Winner, Winner!

Chicken Dinner!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:46 pm »
I'm sure people Like McConnell love the idea of getting Cruz out of the senate knowing that the senatate will never confirm him for the court.

Uh, if Cruz is nominated but not confirmed, he'd stay in the Senate....

Offline Bunny Watson

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 04:15:05 pm »
Because of the age of several of the justices, there will likely be other appointments to SCOTUS within the next 8 years.  IMHO we will be ahead if Trump appoints a conservative justice now, Cruz runs for president and serves from 2020-2024 and potentially appoints another conservative justice and later he himself serves on SCOTUS.

Ginsburg is 83, Kennedy is 80 and Breyer is 78.  Ginsburg and Breyer are liberal.  Conservatives replacing them would keep the SCOTUS conservative.

They're going to be propping up Ginsberg for another eight years, even if it takes hiring Dick Clark's makeup team to do it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »
Keep in mind that the numbers strongly suggest that the GOP will increase its Senate majority in 2018 - and could even get to a veto-proof majority if things break right.   Conservative control of the Supreme Court is within our grasp if we don't overreach.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 04:29:57 pm »
No. He's most effective in the senate where he can actually push constitutional legislation.

After 8 years as president he'll be a lock for the supreme court.

@libertybele @Cripplecreek

Ted Cruz is not eligible under original intent to be President of the USA. He is not a natural born citizen. Allowing someone born (and raised) in a foreign country with only an American born mother is a horrible precedent to set.

At the time our constitution was adopted Cruz would not even been considered a US citizen. So how under ordinal intent can someone the founders would have considered a foreigner be a NBC of the USA?

Now if the constitution is a "living document" then yes anything goes. But if you believe the constitution is a contract between the federal government and the states/people that means what it says. Then no Cruz is not a NBC and not eligible it serve as POTUS. The fact that he thinks he is makes me wonder about his fidelity to the constitution.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:39:18 pm by jpsb »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 05:34:38 pm »

Ted Cruz is not eligible under original intent to be President of the USA. He is not a natural born citizen.

Mechanicos, all 50 states considered Cruz eligible by placing his name on a Presidential ballot.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »

Ted Cruz is not eligible under original intent to be President of the USA. He is not a natural born citizen. Allowing someone born (and raised) in a foreign country with only an American born mother is a horrible precedent to set.

At the time our constitution was adopted Cruz would not even been considered a US citizen. So how under ordinal intent can someone the founders would have considered a foreigner be a NBC of the USA?

Now if the constitution is a "living document" then yes anything goes. But if you believe the constitution is a contract between the federal government and the states/people that means what it says. Then no Cruz is not a NBC and not eligible it serve as POTUS. The fact that he thinks he is makes me wonder about his fidelity to the constitution.

Just out of curiosity, you don't see any ambiguity in terms of what constitutes an natural born citizen under the Constitution?  You think that it is inarguably clear?

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 05:52:41 pm »
For political tactics, Trump would be better off nominating Cruz to SCOTUS.

1) It removes the most viable candidate / opposition to Trump's possible 2020 re-election
2) It goes a LONG way to heal the conservative rift
3) It opens up a Senate seat in a conservative state that Trump could influence the nomination
4) It locks in a strong conservative to the SCOTUS and would work to prevent attacks on Trump's long term agenda
5) It puts the Dems in a difficult position if they oppose his nomination with any determination.  It is hard to claim that the runner up nominee is not "mainstream". 

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2016, 05:59:46 pm »
Sen Cruz is a natural born citizen.

USC Title 8 Section 1401 subsection G defines Sen Cruz as a citizen at birth
USC Title 8 Section 1101 subsection A part (21) defines the process of naturalization as occurring ONLY after birth
Both of the above were enacted pursuant to Congress's enumerated power to exclusively define all the rules of naturalization (Article 1 Section 8 Claus 4).  That includes who is a citizen at birth, has never needed to be naturalized and thus are naturally born a US citizen.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:07 pm »
For political tactics, Trump would be better off nominating Cruz to SCOTUS.

1) It removes the most viable candidate / opposition to Trump's possible 2020 re-election
2) It goes a LONG way to heal the conservative rift
3) It opens up a Senate seat in a conservative state that Trump could influence the nomination
4) It locks in a strong conservative to the SCOTUS and would work to prevent attacks on Trump's long term agenda
5) It puts the Dems in a difficult position if they oppose his nomination with any determination.  It is hard to claim that the runner up nominee is not "mainstream".

And as I said upthread, Cruz could serve on the court for 8-12, even 16 years and STILL be relatively young and run for President.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:44 pm »
Why would he appoint "Lyin' Ted" who he has said has so many mistresses and cheats in primaries..... son of the JFK assassin... and a foreigner to boot!!

lol

Trump is the worst person in the world,

Offline skeeter

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 07:49:02 pm »
Just out of curiosity, you don't see any ambiguity in terms of what constitutes an natural born citizen under the Constitution?  You think that it is inarguably clear?

If so he'd be the only one. The clearest the code gets is to say a natural born citizen is one born to one or both citizen parents.