Author Topic: Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?
« on: November 22, 2016, 02:16:38 am »

Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?
By Paul Bedard (@SecretsBedard) • 11/20/16 2:07 PM

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has informed Trump transition insiders that he would accept the nomination to take the place of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, potentially cementing the power of the court's conservative wing for decades, according to sources.

But another source close to Cruz said that while he is eager to help the new administration, he hasn't committed to any new position.

Cruz hinted at his openness to joining the court Friday at a legal conference.

"Ted Cruz would absolutely accept it if offered a seat on the court," said a transition insider.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/supreme-court-justice-ted-cruz/article/2607875
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Supreme Court Justice Ted Cruz?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:04 am »
If this is indeed true, then we can kiss the thought of Cruz being our next president good-bye. That would be very sad and a tremendous loss for our country, a tremendous blow to the conservative movement and one less conservative voice in the Senate where he's needed more than ever.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:36:29 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:32:46 am »
No. He's most effective in the senate where he can actually push constitutional legislation.

After 8 years as president he'll be a lock for the supreme court.

I'm sure people Like McConnell love the idea of getting Cruz out of the senate knowing that the senatate will never confirm him for the court.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:41:42 am »
No. He's most effective in the senate where he can actually push constitutional legislation.

After 8 years as president he'll be a lock for the supreme court.

I'm sure people Like McConnell love the idea of getting Cruz out of the senate knowing that the senatate will never confirm him for the court.

I agree.  Cruz would be great on the court but it's a life sentence.  We need him in the Senate and as President.  As President, Cruz could be totally counted on to put conservatives on the Court.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:44:25 am »
In the Senate, he's one of a few actual Conservatives, and other than being able to demonstrate our values, he's not going to get a lot done.  1% of the vote.

In the SCOTUS, he'd be practically the swing vote (given the current makeup), and 11.1% of the vote.

POTUS would be nice, but I'd prefer SCOTUS.  [Of course, I can't think of anything that says he can't do BOTH -- a silly idea, I know, but it still made you smile].
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 02:48:07 am »
I agree.  Cruz would be great on the court but it's a life sentence.  We need him in the Senate and as President.  As President, Cruz could be totally counted on to put conservatives on the Court.

Indeed.  Cruz accepting a position on the Supreme Court at this point in time would not be good for the country. I will be extremely disappointed if he accepts.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:51:11 am »
In the Senate, he's one of a few actual Conservatives, and other than being able to demonstrate our values, he's not going to get a lot done.  1% of the vote.

In the SCOTUS, he'd be practically the swing vote (given the current makeup), and 11.1% of the vote.

POTUS would be nice, but I'd prefer SCOTUS.  [Of course, I can't think of anything that says he can't do BOTH -- a silly idea, I know, but it still made you smile].

President Taft was president from 1909-1913 and then became chief justice on the supreme court 1921-1930

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 02:58:10 am »

Think long term ... Senator in 2018 ... President in 2020 and then SCOTUS.  IMHO we need Cruz in the Senate ... he has become the voice of conservatism in the Senate and we need his leadership.  I'm still imagining millions of courageous conservatives, all across America, rising up together to say in unison “we demand our liberty.” ...led by Ted Cruz!

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:07:40 am »
President Taft was president from 1909-1913 and then became chief justice on the supreme court 1921-1930

Yeah.  I actually meant both at once.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 03:12:06 am »
If this is indeed true, then we can kiss the thought of Cruz being our next president good-bye. That would be very sad and a tremenrvatives of thedous loss for our country, a tremendous blow to the conservative movement and one less conservative voice in the Senate where he's needed more than ever.

For the first time that I can recall I strongly disagree with you.  I think a Ted Cruz on SCOTUS would be of maximum benefit to conservatives long term.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 03:24:21 am »
Think long term ... Senator in 2018 ... President in 2020 and then SCOTUS.  IMHO we need Cruz in the Senate ... he has become the voice of conservatism in the Senate and we need his leadership.  I'm still imagining millions of courageous conservatives, all across America, rising up together to say in unison “we demand our liberty.” ...led by Ted Cruz!

Sounds great (except for "led by", we don't him to lead, we need him to serve).

But I'd rather see him go to SCOTUS now, when it is available, than serve in the Senate until he could possibly become POTUS after which he might be nominated/confirmed for a potential SCOTUS spot as it becomes available.  SCOTUS is a (potentially) lifetime appointment, if we can get it now, I'll take it NOW.

Besides, that sets me up for 2020/2014, depending on how the next few years go.  Then I can be in place to reshape SCOTUS to a three judge panel of Thomas, Cruz, and Rand Paul.  I know a lot of folks don't care for the Pauls, but just imagine a court filled with three originalists, where if the smarter two couldn't agree the swing vote came down to the guy who would just vote for smaller government.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:09 am »
Sounds to me like there are some people eager to get Ted Cruz out of the Senate  The rumors have either been AG or SCOTUS.  Now that the AG position is about to be filled, these individuals are floating the SCOTUS story again.   I just hope Ted Cruz doesn't fall into the trap.  He should be distancing himself from Trump as much as possible.  Trump still regards Cruz as an enemy and this might just be part of the plan to destroy him.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 03:39:51 am »
For the first time that I can recall I strongly disagree with you.  I think a Ted Cruz on SCOTUS would be of maximum benefit to conservatives long term.

I would agree. While I would love to see him in the white house, that is 8 years max.  On SCOTUS he would be a reliable rock ribbed conservative leader for decades.  We desperately need a reliable conservative voice to replace Scalia.  He would join Alito and Thomas as the core conservatives.  Its a shame we cant count Roberts in their company.  I wonder if we will ever know what really happened there
God is still in control

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 03:41:30 am »
Sounds to me like there are some people eager to get Ted Cruz out of the Senate  The rumors have either been AG or SCOTUS.  Now that the AG position is about to be filled, these individuals are floating the SCOTUS story again.   I just hope Ted Cruz doesn't fall into the trap.  He should be distancing himself from Trump as much as possible.  Trump still regards Cruz as an enemy and this might just be part of the plan to destroy him.

If he "destroys" Cruz by putting him on SCOTUS, I can live with it!
God is still in control

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 04:36:47 am »

Cruz could easily serve 12-16 years on the court, then still run for President as a fairly young man.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 05:28:48 am »
I would agree. While I would love to see him in the white house, that is 8 years max.  On SCOTUS he would be a reliable rock ribbed conservative leader for decades.  We desperately need a reliable conservative voice to replace Scalia.  He would join Alito and Thomas as the core conservatives.  Its a shame we cant count Roberts in their company.  I wonder if we will ever know what really happened there

I agree. Roberts betrayed the Constitution with his Obamacare vote. He is somehow compromised. Cruz would be great in the SC.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 05:41:09 am »
I'm good with whatever he decides. A happy Cruz is a highly effective Cruz.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 05:55:45 am »
This seems like Cruz supporter bait to me.

I really doubt Trump would nominate him to the USSC.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 05:59:01 am »
Cruz's unwillingness to compromise makes him a poor political animal, but ideal for the Court.  I would rather have Cruz on the Supreme Court for the next 20+ years than have him pick up the pieces in 2024 provided that the Democrat who beats Trump in 2020 loses to Cruz in 2024. 

Take what you can get now.  Cruz is ten years younger than Elena Kagan.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 01:36:34 pm »

Because of the age of several of the justices, there will likely be other appointments to SCOTUS within the next 8 years.  IMHO we will be ahead if Trump appoints a conservative justice now, Cruz runs for president and serves from 2020-2024 and potentially appoints another conservative justice and later he himself serves on SCOTUS.

Ginsburg is 83, Kennedy is 80 and Breyer is 78.  Ginsburg and Breyer are liberal.  Conservatives replacing them would keep the SCOTUS conservative.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 01:39:04 pm »
I'm good with whatever he decides. A happy Cruz is a highly effective Cruz.

This is true. But he would be an incredible Supreme Court Justice.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 01:50:26 pm »
He'd be a good choice, there seems to be a 21 person list already for the Supreme Court, 2 are favored more and I think one of those will be chosen first.

Trump is already showing himself to be the most Constitutional president in a long time.

Trump voters definitely helped keep our constitution alive. Cruz's position also may be helped out by Trump, he owes much to him.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 01:57:13 pm »
I'd like to see him make another run at the Presidency first, but SCOTUS is a natural fit for him.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 02:06:36 pm »
I'd like to see him make another run at the Presidency first, but SCOTUS is a natural fit for him.

I think a lot of those pushing him for the supreme court just want to get him out of the senate.

I have zero doubt that lying Mitch McConnell would love to see Cruz nominated for the court only to vote against confirmation.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »
If Cruz gets the nomination, it is due to Trump and those who voted for him as Trump was the best constitutional choice in the general election.  Cruz would owe all to Trump; I still think, one doesn't have a list of 21 candidates to then stiff them and nominate Cruz but the next supreme court nominee could go to Cruz.