Author Topic: Report: Man died seeking place to soak in Yellowstone park  (Read 4306 times)

Wingnut

Re: Report: Man died seeking place to soak in Yellowstone park
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2016, 09:42:16 pm »
I believe the camera was running when Timothy Treadwell (Snackwell) was eaten by bears.

The bears suffered indigestion for weeks.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2016, 10:47:12 pm »
The bears suffered indigestion for weeks.
Second hand gorp poisoning...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2016, 12:06:25 am »
Unfortunately, we're dealing with people who have a long track record of repeating stupidity (because it just wasn't done right last time), with predictable results.

Yup. But he's different than the tourists... and even most of the hippies... He was a long time in the sticks, and shoulda known better. He was told over and over... nothing left but being a dumbass.
play stupid games
win stupid prizes.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2016, 12:12:55 am »
Boiled alive. Must have hurt.

I'll bet he was unconscious fast.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2016, 12:49:23 am »

One of the most disturbing scenes ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftEeQmuDWM

Let's hear it for Dr. Rocket Romano as the Dissolving Guy, with supporting performances by Leland Palmer (Horrified Guy) and Red Forman (Car-driving Guy).

Give 'em a big hand!   :hands:
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2016, 01:04:05 am »
I'll bet he was unconscious fast.
That depends on how hot the water was, whether he went completely under and a few other sordid details.
 I read of a group who measured the temps of a cascade of pools and found one below 105 to soak in. One of the group coming back from an errand got into the wrong pool and lasted another 24 hours. When he climbed out, he said "That was stupid."
Think of blanching tomatoes... I couldn't say whether it hurt, but he was a goner from the time he hit the water.

It was mentioned in the first edition of this book, and is likely still in the updated version: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/death-in-yellowstone-lee-h-whittlesey/1101212288#productInfoTabs

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2016, 01:16:21 am »
Yup. But he's different than the tourists... and even most of the hippies... He was a long time in the sticks, and shoulda known better. He was told over and over... nothing left but being a dumbass.
play stupid games
win stupid prizes.
No argument here. Some people learn from experience, some just put in time, and some have the kind of experiences that just leave object lessons for others. The wise learn from others' mistakes, not just their own.

C S Lewis