Author Topic: Boxer Floats Bill to Eliminate Electoral College; Reid Questions Legitimacy of Trump's Victory  (Read 2846 times)

rangerrebew

Boxer Floats Bill to Eliminate Electoral College; Reid Questions Legitimacy of Trump's Victory

(CNSNews.com) - The bill has no chance of passing, but nevertheless, Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), a supporter of Hillary Clinton, on Tuesday introduced legislation that would eliminate the constitutionally established Electoral College [1] and have future presidents elected by the direct, popular vote.

Boxer and Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) both noted on Tuesday that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, but not the Electoral vote.

"In my lifetime, I have seen two elections where the winner of the general election did not win the popular vote," Boxer said in a new release. "When all the ballots are counted, Hillary Clinton will have won the popular vote by a margin that could exceed two million votes, and she is on track to have received more votes than any other presidential candidate in history except Barack Obama.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/boxer-floats-bill-eliminate-electoral-college-reid-questions-legitimacy

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Boxer Floats Bill to Eliminate Electoral College; Reid Questions Legitimacy of Trump's Victory

(CNSNews.com) - The bill has no chance of passing, but nevertheless, Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), a supporter of Hillary Clinton, on Tuesday introduced legislation that would eliminate the constitutionally established Electoral College [1] and have future presidents elected by the direct, popular vote.

Boxer and Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) both noted on Tuesday that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, but not the Electoral vote.

"In my lifetime, I have seen two elections where the winner of the general election did not win the popular vote," Boxer said in a new release. "When all the ballots are counted, Hillary Clinton will have won the popular vote by a margin that could exceed two million votes, and she is on track to have received more votes than any other presidential candidate in history except Barack Obama.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/boxer-floats-bill-eliminate-electoral-college-reid-questions-legitimacy

And if Hillary does turn out to have 2 million more votes than Trump, that still doesn't exceed the Democrat margin of vote fraud.  Folks from PA know all about that; it's long been said that any Republican candidate in PA has to win by at least 4% to overcome the Philly vote fraud.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I didn't realize Congress could just pass a bill to eliminate parts of the Constitution. /s
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I didn't realize Congress could just pass a bill to eliminate parts of the Constitution. /s

LOL let's "float a bill" to eliminate the 17th amendment.

Offline GrouchoTex

You are assuming that all members of Congress have read the Constitution and know this.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
You are assuming that all members of Congress have read the Constitution and know this.

and especially one named Barbara Boxer!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

We just elected a president who also thinks the EC is a threat to "democracy" and that the  supreme court makes law.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
If ya can't beat 'em...cheat 'em.

I guess the next piece of POS legislation we'll see from the Libs is to eliminate the 25th Amendment.

That's the other one they always float when they lose.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline rodamala

That's my litmus test for people I vote for to go to D.C.  If they are not planning on introducing a bill to repeal 17A, as far as I am concerned, they do not deserve my vote.

Online The_Reader_David

We just elected a president who also thinks the EC is a threat to "democracy" and that the  supreme court makes law.

But the EC is a threat to democracy -- it was one of the explicitly anti-democratic feature of our Constitution that the Founders deliberately included -- but that's a feature, not a bug, and the Supreme Court, even though they shouldn't, does make law (cf. Roe v. Wade, Obergefell v. Hogdes, NFIB v. Sebelius) and seems likely to for a very long time until Congress gets the stones to limit its jurisdiction or treat encroaching on the legislative functions of Congress and the legislatures of the several states as a high crime (one impeachment and removal on that basis would do the trick).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Times like these I regret my nick.  :shrug:

Still - Boxer Floats, eh? She must be a witch then.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

EXACTLY.

Boxer has committed treason.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Works for me. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
But the EC is a threat to democracy -- it was one of the explicitly anti-democratic feature of our Constitution that the Founders deliberately included -- but that's a feature, not a bug, and the Supreme Court, even though they shouldn't, does make law (cf. Roe v. Wade, Obergefell v. Hogdes, NFIB v. Sebelius) and seems likely to for a very long time until Congress gets the stones to limit its jurisdiction or treat encroaching on the legislative functions of Congress and the legislatures of the several states as a high crime (one impeachment and removal on that basis would do the trick).

So you prefer Greek style direct democracy...which in the U.S. of today would be the equivalent of Mob rule?

Offline r9etb

Boxer has committed treason.

Oh, come now.  That's ridiculous. 

Babs Boxer is a numbskull, but floating a bill such as this is of the ways for proposing an amendment to the Constitution to do away with the Electoral College.  Which is many things, few of them good, but it's not "treason."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:25:34 pm by r9etb »

Offline r9etb

And, BTW, any amendment needs to have the concurrence of 3/4 of the states.  Hard to imagine that happening, since roughly 3/4 of the states and the vast majority of counties would be effectively disenfranchised were such an amendment to pass.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
So you prefer Greek style direct democracy...which in the U.S. of today would be the equivalent of Mob rule?

I think you misunderstood David's position.  He's not against the EC, just saying that it wasn't intended to be a democratic institution but a representative one.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I think you misunderstood David's position.  He's not against the EC, just saying that it wasn't intended to be a democratic institution but a representative one.

I hope he clarifies...because he stated very clearly at the beginning that the Electoral College represents a threat to Democracy.

Offline Night Hides Not

This issue has only been argued for 229 years, and it won't abate anytime soon.

The USA is not a democracy, it's a representative republic.

Those in favor of "democracy" are like two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch. Without the EC, the losing side would have the right to challenge each and every vote cast, such as those allegedly cast in California by illegal aliens bearing drivers licenses.

ETA: Article from Slate ( :wtf!:) defending the EC. I'm definitely listening to Federalist 68 on this afternoon's walk...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2012/11/defending_the_electoral_college.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:45:37 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline r9etb

This issue has only been argued for 229 years, and it won't abate anytime soon.

The USA is not a democracy, it's a representative republic.

Those in favor of "democracy" are like two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch. Without the EC, the losing side would have the right to challenge each and every vote cast, such as those allegedly cast in California by illegal aliens bearing drivers licenses.

Here's the best argument I know for keeping the Electoral College:

The electoral college exists to ensure that every state gets at least some say in the outcome of the election.  The county map shows how the distribution of the popular vote would go.  Generally speaking, the blue parts would coincide with the places where the popular vote would be concentrated.  Guess who would control the popular vote?  Hint: it's nobody in Nebraska.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:46:34 pm by r9etb »

Offline Cripplecreek

I think Trump is a disgusting lowlife but there are no doubts about the legitimacy of his win.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The Electoral College reflects that we are a confederation of 50 sovereign states.  There is no "general election" for President, per se.  Rather,  there is a series of fifty state elections, with (in most cases), the winner of a state's popular vote receiving all of that state's "votes" for President.   

Eliminating the EC would effectively end the sovereignty of the individual states, and transfer effective power to decide a national election to the urban centers.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Night Hides Not

Here's the best argument I know for keeping the Electoral College:

The electoral college exists to ensure that every state gets at least some say in the outcome of the election.  The county map shows how the distribution of the popular vote would go.  Generally speaking, the blue parts would coincide with the places where the popular vote would be concentrated.  Guess who would control the popular vote?  Hint: it's nobody in Nebraska.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Night Hides Not

Offline Night Hides Not