Author Topic: What is "doxing"? (Yes, it is illegal!)  (Read 3110 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What is "doxing"? (Yes, it is illegal!)
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:04:47 pm »
One of those things many people need to read:

Have you ever seen your personal information on a public forum? Have you even seen your personal information “grayed out”? If you have, know that it is not only cowardly, but also illegal. There is a name for it: doxing.

According to Wikipedia:

Doxing (spelling variant Doxxing) is an abbreviation of document tracing, the Internet-based practice of researching and publishing personally identifiable information about an individual. The methods employed in pursuit of this information range from searching publicly available databases and social media websites like Facebook to hacking and social engineering. It is closely related to cyber-vigilantism, hacktivism, and cyber-bullying......

More... http://patch.com/massachusetts/malden/what-is-doxing-yes-it-is-illegal

geronl

Re: What is "doxing"? (Yes, it is illegal!)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:23:38 pm »
I had a guy (on FR) putting out my real name and location and situation threateningly while insisting I couldn't be conservative because I was poor. As if... even continued this crap on Facebook

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:43:58 pm »
I had a guy (on FR) putting out my real name and location and situation threateningly while insisting I couldn't be conservative because I was poor. As if... even continued this crap on Facebook

I'm hoping they find my FB page. Love to get some new blood at my Friday Night Naked Raves I hold in the basement of an old warehouse.

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:01 pm »
bumping for visibility

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:50:37 pm »
bumping for visibility

Bumping again because this can't be stressed enough.  IIRC, the ToS for TBR has a clause that management will cooperate if the police come asking about this.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »
Not really related but there are websites that take old mugshots (public domain property, I guess) and put them up until the person pays to have it taken off.

I did an image search for a co-worker on duckduckgo and found hers. It was the first pic returned on the search too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 09:54:23 pm »
Not really related but there are websites that take old mugshots (public domain property, I guess) and put them up until the person pays to have it taken off.

I did an image search for a co-worker on duckduckgo and found hers. It was the first pic returned on the search too.

The legal definition and controlling laws have probably changed a lot over the years, but from what I read of the definition, information being out in the Public Domain is not an acceptable defense for disseminating it in a way that causes harm to somebody. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 03:32:57 pm »
There is a fine line between legitimate research and illegitimate harassment.  In my view, simply looking up publicly available information on a person, including trying to tie disparate records together, is legitimate.  In my view, the line is crossed when someone tries to tie an individuals online persona and real world persona together and publish those links for the purpose of harassing or intimidating that person.  In my view the real issue is the harassment, intimidation, and implied threats, not merely the collection of the information itself. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 04:52:56 pm »
There is a fine line between legitimate research and illegitimate harassment.  In my view, simply looking up publicly available information on a person, including trying to tie disparate records together, is legitimate.  In my view, the line is crossed when someone tries to tie an individuals online persona and real world persona together and publish those links for the purpose of harassing or intimidating that person.  In my view the real issue is the harassment, intimidation, and implied threats, not merely the collection of the information itself.

Good point.  And it seems to me that there's already a legal standard for that sort of thing, similar to how people are prosecuted for stalking, slander, libel, and the like.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
Actually, "Conspiracty to"...(insert whatever crime) is like that.  One can talk about the crime, even plan for it and it's not a crime, but as soon as one act is committed to implement the crime, wham.
I will NOT comply.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 05:34:08 pm »
I think with this like a lot of similar crimes, the key is intent. Specically intent to cause harm.

A good example is the recent revealing of Elector's names which in a couple of states, was not public info (in most States it was) for the purpose of harassment.

Another example is when a former member here threatened one of the owners to 'make her business look bad' via Linked In all because she didn't believe the same way he did. If he had followed through, that would have been clear illegal doxing.

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 03:17:51 am »
Wasn't there a guy here that was trying to do this?

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 07:56:44 pm »
Bumping

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 07:57:36 pm »
Wasn't there a guy here that was trying to do this?

Twice and they are gone.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:58 pm »

Probably the same lowlife who accused me of being liberal for the same reason.

Other freepers told me they were getting freepmail from the guy wanting help finding the "truth" about me.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »
Probably the same lowlife who accused me of being liberal for the same reason.

Other freepers told me they were getting freepmail from the guy wanting help finding the "truth" about me.

"Truth?"  Did somebody find out you're really a Nigerian Prince hiding out in Michigan's upper Peninsula?
I will NOT comply.