Author Topic: Ryan won't commit to passing Trump tariff plan  (Read 3070 times)

Silver Pines

Re: Ryan won't commit to passing Trump tariff plan
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »
If Trump wants Ryan gone he will be voted out, so don't kid yourself.

Naked hero worship.

Trump isn't the Wizard of Oz, @Longmire.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 05:10:51 pm »
In your fantasy world...no I don't.  :laugh:

You don't in reality either it would appear.

You don't want a President...you want a Mafia Don.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:45 pm »
Actually, less than that, since American workers insist on OSHA and EPA protections, etc.  Therefore, American wages must be lower, to come up with a market labor cost when you account for these costs.

On the other hand, you have to look at moral hazards of dealing with a foreign government and foreign middle men who might steal your proprietary assets, impose taxes of their own down the road (in retaliation for what Trump does, for example), the management and logistics of bringing finished goods back to the USA, higher inventory costs associated with waiting times, etc.  It is not as cut and dried as people might believe.

In general, way more jobs have been lost to technology in the past few decades than have been lost to foreign outsourcing.  And while American companies leaving makes news, foreign companies entering our market does not.  Fact is, most Toyotas, Hondas, Mercedes and BMWs sold in the USA are made in the USA.  Most of these jobs are in red states, however, as foreign companies are smart enough to avoid the labor unions in non-right to work states.

If you want to protect American jobs, get rid of the minimum wage, which would encourage upward mobility and make it more expensive for companies to switch to high tech ways to avoid labor costs. That would have a much bigger impact than tariffs, which would only make the American consumer suffer, and do little to help workers over the long term.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 06:16:30 pm »
On the other hand, you have to look at moral hazards of dealing with a foreign government and foreign middle men who might steal your proprietary assets, impose taxes of their own down the road (in retaliation for what Trump does, for example), the management and logistics of bringing finished goods back to the USA, higher inventory costs associated with waiting times, etc.  It is not as cut and dried as people might believe.

In general, way more jobs have been lost to technology in the past few decades than have been lost to foreign outsourcing.  And while American companies leaving makes news, foreign companies entering our market does not.  Fact is, most Toyotas, Hondas, Mercedes and BMWs sold in the USA are made in the USA.  Most of these jobs are in red states, however, as foreign companies are smart enough to avoid the labor unions in non-right to work states.

If you want to protect American jobs, get rid of the minimum wage, which would encourage upward mobility and make it more expensive for companies to switch to high tech ways to avoid labor costs. That would have a much bigger impact than tariffs, which would only make the American consumer suffer, and do little to help workers over the long term.

QFT

The real trick to all of this is to get agencies like the EPA and some of the other government entities that exacerbate the costs that producers pass on to the customer.

But the incestuous relationship some government agencies have with special interest groups...actually funding and in some cases encouraging their lawsuits  against companies...its an uphill battle.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 06:16:43 pm »
It may be the Congressional GOP that ends up saving Trump from himself

That would be the hope.  Any rational politician knows there are only two ways the 2018 mid-terms aren't a disaster for the GOP.

1.  Save Trump from himself and make sure people know it

2.  Turn against Trump if he can't control himself.

The political dynamics of the next couple of years promise to be "interesting" -- hopefully not in the Chinese sense of the word.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 06:25:11 pm »
It's not about taxes. It's about the cost of labor.  And labor costs in America are too high, even if corporate taxes are zero. 

That's not entirely correct.  The metric of interest is cost of doing business, of which labor costs are only a part.  Seen from that perspective, it is about taxes, but not only about taxes. 

Elimination of corporate taxes saves more than just the tax bill -- it also saves money on the efforts needed either to comply with or to avoid the tax bill, which includes lawyers, lobbyists, accountants, IT systems, and the general overhead costs of employing those people.

The high cost of employing people has its own explanations, which can probably be addressed more or less independently.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
Paul Ryan got more votes this year than he did in 2014 and 2012. 

I'm not talking about his congressional seat, I'm talking about his position as Speaker.

He can and will get replaced if he continues to make noises about opposing Trump.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »

He can and will get replaced if he continues to make noises about opposing Trump.

And he should make noises on this issue and other fiscal and economic issues. That's what he was elected to do
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 06:59:26 pm »
And he should make noises on this issue and other fiscal and economic issues. That's what he was elected to do

Amazing how some forget that the House of Representatives is the people's house...it was never intended to be the Presidents rubber stamp.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 07:01:27 pm »

He won't.

Every sane member of the House understands that their own political survival depends on holding Trump accountable.  Among other things, that means not doing something simply because Trump wants it.

Ryan has already established himself as a guy who will hold Trump accountable.  He'll win the speakership, no problem.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »
Naked hero worship.

Trump isn't the Wizard of Oz, @Longmire.
Pay no attention to the man behind the orange curtain.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LMAO

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 07:16:53 pm »
Amazing how some forget that the House of Representatives is the people's house...it was never intended to be the Presidents rubber stamp.

I don't want Ryan to oppose Trump on everything just to be vindictive, tho.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline r9etb

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:42 pm »
I don't want Ryan to oppose Trump on everything just to be vindictive, tho.

No, that would be stupid.  More to the point, though, Ryan has never said that's what he would do.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 07:23:53 pm »

When did you people decide you wanted Trump to be a dictator?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:44 pm »
Well - what's the plan? Where is it? Show me the actual final text please.

I'd not commit either, til I knew what the hell I were committing to - wasn't one "You'll have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" enough for any lifetime?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »
I'm not talking about his congressional seat, I'm talking about his position as Speaker.

You forget that little thing called the Constitution which creates separate but equal branches.

Trump has no power on who becomes speaker.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 09:28:25 pm »
Trump has no power on who becomes speaker.

Good grief, of course he does. Trump looms over the DC swamp like Godzilla over Tokyo.

Ryan will lose in any show down with the newly elected President and I almost wish he'd try it just to see how far Trump kicks him.  :laugh:

Offline Longmire

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 09:30:43 pm »
Naked hero worship.

As opposed to the naked zero worship some folks here engage in...I'll take it.  :laugh:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 09:37:12 pm »
Good grief, of course he does. Trump looms over the DC swamp like Godzilla over Tokyo.

Fat, clumsy, scaly, slimy, and incredibly destructive?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline r9etb

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 09:38:42 pm »
Ryan will lose in any show down with the newly elected President and I almost wish he'd try it just to see how far Trump kicks him.  :laugh:

Yeah, right.

If it comes to a showdown between Ryan and Trump, it'll be because Trump wants to do something stupid.  Trump can't win that sort of battle: he can only sign or veto what the House and Senate send to him.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 09:39:11 pm »
Fat, clumsy, scaly, slimy, and incredibly destructive?

And don't forget that Godzilla generally lost....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »

Just more proof of the fact you people want Trump to be your Mussolini.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline rodamala

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:42 pm »
Just more proof of the fact you people want Trump to be your Mussolini.

@INVAR
Once Dear Leader Trump is immaculated, Amtrak will run on time.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 11:03:52 pm »
@INVAR
Once Dear Leader Trump is immaculated, Amtrak will run on time.

Yes.  Trains will go East and everyone will know it's for 'work'.