Author Topic: Making sourdough starter  (Read 7976 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Making sourdough starter
« on: November 13, 2016, 04:59:24 pm »
Combine ¾ cup flour and ½ cup warm water in a glass or plastic container. Make sure the container can hold about 2 quarts, to avoid overflow.

Stir vigorously to incorporate air; cover with a breathable lid.

Leave in a warm place, 70-85°F, for 12-24 hours. Feeding every 12 hours will increase the rate at which your sourdough starter is multiplying its organisms; feeding every 24 hours will take a bit longer, but may be more sustainable depending on your time commitment.

At the 12 or 24 hour mark you may begin to see some bubbles, indicating that organisms are present. Repeat the feeding with ½ cup warm water and ¾ cup flour.

Stir vigorously, cover, and wait another 12-24 hours.

Repeat feedings every 12-24 hours by removing half of the starter before every feeding and discarding it. Feed with ½ cup warm water and ¾ cup flour.

After about 5-7 days the sourdough starter should have enough yeasts and bacteria to be used for baking.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sourdough/how-to-obtain-sourdough-starter/

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:12:49 pm by RoosGirl »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Making sourdough starter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
Keep some sourdough starter around and use it to bake with instead of yeast. Will pass along a few things learned along the way.

1. First batch was made as above. Worked well. Let it sit too long and thought I'd lost it, it was slimy and moldy. I have learned since that simply scrape all that off and get to the solid stuff at the bottom, take about a teaspoon, and put it in some new flour. I've used 6 week old starter to do this and it comes right back. In fact I've read you can lay the starter out to dry in to flakes and make new starter from it.

2. When making the first batch use a good sized container that will hold enough to keep adding to till it's ready after 5 days. Some tell you to throw half out every day. Have no idea why anyone would want to do that when it could be used.

3. My second batch was made from some rejuvelac that I mixed in with the flour. Started bubbling within a day. Still working with that one, has a great flavor and is a really strong starter. I've fed it, then sat it straight in the fridge and it still spews over the top (it also adapts over time to cold).

4. I grind my own grain and make my own flours as well as purchased non-wheat flour. Sourdough doesn't care what kind of flour you use, it will adapt to all of them. Made some really cool stuff with mixed flours, even jerusalem artichoke flour. Even stuff like crackers that are flat, but rise it for 12 hours to get that tangy flavor.

5. Sourdough rises are 12 to 24 hours. I also make my doughs very loose and a high water content, just barely able to form it into a sticky ball. Since it's not as strong as conventional yeast, that will help it rise better. I also do almost no kneading, it really isn't necessary. Put wax paper over the dough to keep it from drying out over the long rise period, then cover with a paper towel and put it in a high place where it's warmest.

6. Sourdough is good for diabetics as the bacteria convert the carbs into a far less glycemic product, especially if you don't use white flour. Make sure you don't use too much sprouted grain flour as sourdough basically does the same thing as sprouting it and grinding it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:46:12 pm »
Good info @Free Vulcan .  There is some info at the link in the OP regarding drying your starter.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
I love to cover soups or stew in a layer of sourdough dumplings. Tonight its chicken pot pie from the leftover chicken I froze when I cooked up too much chicken for thanksgiving's cornbread dressing.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:04:01 am »
Good info @Free Vulcan .  There is some info at the link in the OP regarding drying your starter.
Perusing through older threads.  Glad I did!  Thanks for the sour dough starter recipe.  I had a batch refrigerated for years, then moved. Forgot the recipe!  Now I have it again.

Thank you both ever so much.

Now I have to look up Jerusalem artichoke flour.  Sounds great!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:02 am »

Rising fame: experts herald Canadian woman's 120-year-old sourdough starter

Ione Christensen’s starter, one of the oldest strains around, is being added to a collection in a Belgian ‘library’ with 84 samples from 20 countries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/14/ione-christensen-canada-yukon-sourdough-starter-yeast

Every Saturday night for the last sixty years, Ione Christensen has followed the same routine to prepare waffles for breakfast the following morning: she measures out two cups of flour and two cups of warm water, then she reaches into her fridge to bring out her sourdough starter.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:53:28 pm »

Rising fame: experts herald Canadian woman's 120-year-old sourdough starter

Ione Christensen’s starter, one of the oldest strains around, is being added to a collection in a Belgian ‘library’ with 84 samples from 20 countries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/14/ione-christensen-canada-yukon-sourdough-starter-yeast

Every Saturday night for the last sixty years, Ione Christensen has followed the same routine to prepare waffles for breakfast the following morning: she measures out two cups of flour and two cups of warm water, then she reaches into her fridge to bring out her sourdough starter.

I bet that has a lot of flavor.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:03:20 pm »
Weird thing about starters - they adapt. People will clamor for this or that old or special starter, but they don't realize that as soon as you bring it into your house or establishment, it will adapt to it's new environment and change it's flavor and probably will taste like your old starter.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:05:25 pm »
I bet that has a lot of flavor.

@RoosGirl Do you still have the original link for the recipe at the top of the thread?   It looks like it got wiped out in the Great Crash last November....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 03:41:38 pm »
@RoosGirl Do you still have the original link for the recipe at the top of the thread?   It looks like it got wiped out in the Great Crash last November....

Mix 4 ounces of water and 4 ouces of flour (by weight).  Add the same amounts for the next four days and stir. Keep mixture at room temperature until ready.

You've got your own personal sourdough starter. There are no two exactly alike.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
Mix 4 ounces of water and 4 ouces of flour (by weight).  Add the same amounts for the next four days and stir. Keep mixture at room temperature until ready.

You've got your own personal sourdough starter. There are no two exactly alike.

Don't you have to put yeast in the first day?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:29 pm »

No.  But you have to include patience in addition to the flour and water.

https://flouronmyface.com/how-to-make-sourdough-starter/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:34 pm »

It develops yeast naturally from the environment.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »

Nope!  The stuff is everywhere and that which is present at your particular location is what makes YOUR starter unique.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 05:53:49 pm »
If anyone knows the recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread starter, I'd love to have it.

I made mine for 6 or 7 years and finally had enough, but the bread is delicious and I wouldn't mind starting it up again.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 06:03:50 pm »
If anyone knows the recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread starter, I'd love to have it.

I made mine for 6 or 7 years and finally had enough, but the bread is delicious and I wouldn't mind starting it up again.

Here's one I found...

https://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/amish_cinnamon_bread.html
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 06:53:13 pm »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 07:18:02 pm »
Here's one I found...

https://www.greatpartyrecipes.com/amish_cinnamon_bread.html

Huh, I'm surprised at the Amish using instant vanilla pudding.   :tongue2:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »

Yahbutt, it's HOMEMADE instant pudding. :P

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:52 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:02 pm »

At least they make a disclaimer at the beginning of the page that it is clearly NOT Amish.

Starting with the Ziplocks.  :laugh:

(But it sure does taste good!))

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:37 pm »
Chocolate Friendship Bread (No Instant pudding)

https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/chocolate-friendship-bread/

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 10:07:58 pm »
At least they make a disclaimer at the beginning of the page that it is clearly NOT Amish.

Starting with the Ziplocks.  :laugh:

(But it sure does taste good!))

I was watching a show, I don't know if it's still on or not, I think it was called Treehouse Masters.  The guys business was building these huge elaborate treehouses for people.  One of the episodes I saw had a younger Amish man coming to help and he was using electric hand tools.  When asked about it he said he it was okay for him to use them, just not own them.   :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 10:12:02 pm »
I was watching a show, I don't know if it's still on or not, I think it was called Treehouse Masters.  The guys business was building these huge elaborate treehouses for people.  One of the episodes I saw had a younger Amish man coming to help and he was using electric hand tools.  When asked about it he said he it was okay for him to use them, just not own them.   :shrug:

They use telephones and ride in cars - again without owning them.  Used to be, and I expect that it still is the case, that there would be a phone booth for several families, and they could use it as long as it wasn't on their property.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 10:13:18 pm »
They use telephones and ride in cars - again without owning them.  Used to be, and I expect that it still is the case, that there would be a phone booth for several families, and they could use it as long as it wasn't on their property.

Those rules is too detailed for me. :)