Author Topic: Making sourdough starter  (Read 7960 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Making sourdough starter
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 10:22:12 pm »
They use telephones and ride in cars - again without owning them.  Used to be, and I expect that it still is the case, that there would be a phone booth for several families, and they could use it as long as it wasn't on their property.

There are a large number of Amish in SE Iowa near where I grew up.  Some had phones, but they were in the garage.
A friend of mine would drive a school bus into town once a week(?) so they could go shopping.

It seems it's not so much about the technology, but becoming reliant on the technology.

I've often thought about going the Amish laptop (my term, completely made up) route.  That would be a laptop in the garage, on top of a refrigerator or in come other totally inconvenient place, with no other computers in the house.  That way I could use the internet for things that really require it these days, but without all the other distractions.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:04 pm »
There are a large number of Amish in SE Iowa near where I grew up.  Some had phones, but they were in the garage.
A friend of mine would drive a school bus into town once a week(?) so they could go shopping.

It seems it's not so much about the technology, but becoming reliant on the technology.

I've often thought about going the Amish laptop (my term, completely made up) route.  That would be a laptop in the garage, on top of a refrigerator or in come other totally inconvenient place, with no other computers in the house.  That way I could use the internet for things that really require it these days, but without all the other distractions.

During the day I frequently leave my computer on a counter in the kitchen and stop by for a quick visit as I'm walking through on my way to doing something else.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 10:59:51 pm »
I was watching a show, I don't know if it's still on or not, I think it was called Treehouse Masters.  The guys business was building these huge elaborate treehouses for people.  One of the episodes I saw had a younger Amish man coming to help and he was using electric hand tools.  When asked about it he said he it was okay for him to use them, just not own them.   :shrug:

The largest Amish community in the country is now in Holmes County, Ohio, not extremely far from us.  There are many sects within the Amish religion with varying degrees of conservatism/liberalism (in the context of the Amish, it's all conservative, of course).

Each group makes their own rules, which is why the strictest Amish can't use any electricity, nor drive in cars, but the less strict ones can.

There's also Rumspringa, a year when teenagers can go outside the faith and experience worldly things.  Once they come back, though, they're committed to the lifestyle of their group.

I tend to doubt TV shows about the Amish, though, since they tend to pick more sensational things, and most Amish just live quiet, industrious lives......... and make great furniture and food!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:35:21 am by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 02:22:59 am »
If anyone knows the recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread starter, I'd love to have it.

I made mine for 6 or 7 years and finally had enough, but the bread is delicious and I wouldn't mind starting it up again.

I haven't gotten around to baking bread with mine. I've made pretzels, muffins, lots of pancakes, and dumplings. I tend to go crazy with sourdough dumplings. So quick and easy.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 02:36:19 am »
I haven't gotten around to baking bread with mine. I've made pretzels, muffins, lots of pancakes, and dumplings. I tend to go crazy with sourdough dumplings. So quick and easy.

You made pretzels, muffins and pancakes with the cinnamon bread starter??

Mind telling me how you do it?

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 02:41:31 am »
You made pretzels, muffins and pancakes with the cinnamon bread starter??

Mind telling me how you do it?

No. Something more basic. Sourdough Starter.

This is my goto place for sourdough recipes: https://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?w=sourdough&deftab=recipes

Offline musiclady

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 02:43:48 am »
No. Something more basic. Sourdough Starter.

This is my goto place for sourdough recipes: https://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?w=sourdough&deftab=recipes

Ah....... got it.

(My mouth just started watering at the thought of cinnamon bread pretzels.  ^-^ )