Author Topic: Vanity - This is not 1980  (Read 6552 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Vanity - This is not 1980
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:16:17 pm »
I remember 1980 well. Even though I was nearing the end of my 4th year in Germany (how cool was that, spending less than a month of the Carter Administration in the US?), the electoral tsunami that wiped out Carter was felt in Europe.

I'm not feeling it today, and it has nothing to do with Comey. Reagan had a backbone, but he never took personal insults publicly, "there you go again" would be his most remembered, and effective, rejoinder.

Trump and Hillary are both bullies, each with an enemies list that are unrivaled. Both are not liked and not trusted, in equal dollops. That's why I'm not seeing a similar tsunami.

What the heck, I'll throw out my prediction: Hillary wins by 2.5 points in the popular vote, with 325 being the over/under on her electoral vote (won't be a blowout, that's for sure). Won't be enough to turn the Senate back to the Dems, it will be 51-49 Republican, but the House Republicans lose 15 seats.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Vanity - This is not 1980
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:03:55 pm »
Truth
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »
Demographics today are much different than in 1980.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »
Vanity - This is not 1980

Really? You mean I can't go down the Pontiac dealer and *order a new Bonneville?

(*For those who don't know, you used to have to order your car and wait a month for it to be built.)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:18:58 pm »
I strongly disagree with anyone saying Reagan wouldn't win today. If the GOP nomined someone as likable and personable as Reagan today he would win.

We've I st had shitty candidates and the dems have gotten really good at nominating likable candidates.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 04:22:54 pm »
I strongly disagree with anyone saying Reagan wouldn't win today.

I disagree. I believe you have to be alive to be President. Reagan appears to be dead right now....but I could be wrong.

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 04:24:24 pm »
I disagree. I believe you have to be alive to be President. Reagan appears to be dead right now....but I could be wrong.

The GOP has his brain in a jar somewhere.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:25:14 pm »
Whenever I am sure Hillary is going to win I get snapped back..was  at a get together yesterday mixed crowd.

Could not believe how many women were against Hillary-absolutely despise her. Young-especially the young, old, fairly liberal and of course some  conservative.
Lot of blue collar union folks for Trump despite who their union tells them to vote for.

I go back and forth but feel in the end Trump will win.

Offline beandog

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:27:09 pm »
I strongly disagree with anyone saying Reagan wouldn't win today. If the GOP nomined someone as likable and personable as Reagan today he would win.

We've I st had shitty candidates and the dems have gotten really good at nominating likable candidates.
You can not possible consider the Beast likeable. ****slapping

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 04:28:10 pm »
You can not possible consider the Beast likeable. ****slapping

Relative to Donny? Yes.

Offline beandog

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 04:30:05 pm »
Whenever I am sure Hillary is going to win I get snapped back..was  at a get together yesterday mixed crowd.

Could not believe how many women were against Hillary-absolutely despise her. Young-especially the young, old, fairly liberal and of course some  conservative.
Lot of blue collar union folks for Trump despite who their union tells them to vote for.

I go back and forth but feel in the end Trump will win.
I wish I felt like you.  While I dislike the Donald, I really hate the idea of the corrupt Beast, her husband Chester the Molester and her minions being in the White House.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 04:30:15 pm »

Offline beandog

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 04:32:26 pm »

Relative to Donny? Yes.

SERIOUSLY.  Color me shocked.  I can't imagine anyone more unlikeable than the Beast, including the Donald.  Just her voice alone makes me want to hide. :shrug:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 04:54:25 pm »

I think you are probably correct as it pertains to this election.  The demographics are bad, but i think he'd win.  But only because Hillary is so horrible.

I don't think even a younger, still breathing Reagan would have a chance against any non-Hillary candidate in 2020, though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:57:10 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 04:55:36 pm »
I think you are probably correct as it pertai s to this election.  The demographics are bad, but i think he'd win.  But only because Hillary is so horrible.

I don't think even a younger, still breathing Reagan would have a chance against any non-Hillary candidate in 2020, though.

Depends who the dems put up. Don't underestimate likability.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 04:58:50 pm »

Depends who the dems put up. Don't underestimate likability.

Having a significantly more likable candidate than the Dems is the only chance we had even for this election.  The demographics have just changed so much that even a likeable Republican nominee will be close to umelectable. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:59:32 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 05:05:22 pm »
I agree, this election will not be like 1980's... but I do not think that Hillary has a lock on it. I have the feeling (and it's just a feeling based on anecdotal evidence, and therefore suspect) that Hillary is much more disliked than the mainstream media is willing to report.  Too many remarks of "We have to vote for her to stop Trump!", too many signs of low enthusiasm in general among her supporters (small crowds at her appearances, unless they also have a big-name star performing, for instance), and the signs that the undecided voters may be swinging towards Trump, all make me think that Trump has a chance of winning. It may be a small chance, but over the past 1-2 weeks it certainly seems as if the momentum has swung his way.

And by the way, I take no joy in this feeling. If he wins it will be without my vote, which is still going to Darrell Castle. But I will enjoy being able to point and laugh at the crestfallen Hillary supports if she does lose, as well as contemplate the possibility of an honest investigation (one can dream...) of the Clinton crime syndicate.
Let it burn.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 05:06:04 pm »
Having a significantly more likable candidate than the Dems is the only chance we had even for this election.  The demographics have just changed so much that even a likeable Republican nominee will be close to umelectable.

What was so unlikable about Romney?  The guy was as vanilla as it gets.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 05:18:28 pm »
The 2012 autopsy told us to market conservatism to nontraditional families and emerging ethnic groups.  GOPers decided to double down on failure.  They didn't even try to win this thing.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 05:35:42 pm »
The premise is true, Carter did not aid the rise of the worse terrorist organization since World War II, ISIS nor give the largest terrorist sponsor in the world, billions of dollars while aiding their nuclear capabilities.

Real sharp observation, 2016 is not 1980.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 05:42:50 pm »
SERIOUSLY.  Color me shocked.  I can't imagine anyone more unlikeable than the Beast, including the Donald.  Just her voice alone makes me want to hide. :shrug:

Did you hear her latest screech fest? My God it was awful. I can't imagine listening to her for four or eight years. Shoot me now

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 05:43:18 pm »
The 2012 autopsy told us to market conservatism to nontraditional families and emerging ethnic groups.  GOPers decided to double down on failure.  They didn't even try to win this thing.

The gop base is truly just a dumb stupid group of individuals.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 05:49:33 pm »
The 2012 autopsy told us to market conservatism to nontraditional families and emerging ethnic groups. 

Just how do you propose to do that?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »
Just how do you propose to do that?

An eye single on ECONOMIC GROWTH.   Nontraditional families and emerging ethnic groups want good jobs, too. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »
An eye single on ECONOMIC GROWTH.   Nontraditional families and emerging ethnic groups want good jobs, too.

Then the Rats simply counter that with the usual attacks of "Tax cuts for the Rich, Voodoo Economics, etc."