Author Topic: Wikileaks - How to use the Confederate Flag as an issue...  (Read 1029 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Wikileaks - How to use the Confederate Flag as an issue...
« on: November 02, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »
Snipped (entire email is interesting)

On Jun 22, 2015, at 10:47 PM, Joel Benenson <jbenenson@bsgco.com> wrote: > > Symbols matter. In the case of this flag, every time a black person walks > past this flag it is a symbol of the hatred and oppression their ancestors > faced and they must still face. > People are angry and hurt and we can run a whole campaign on these issues. > We have only one moment -- right now -- to vehemently attack this symbol. >

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/42468

Offline ABX

Re: Wikileaks - How to use the Confederate Flag as an issue...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:29:54 pm »
> > On Jun 22, 2015, at 10:17 PM, Dan Schwerin <dschwerin@hillaryclinton.com> > wrote: > > Jen and others should jump in here... an alternative like "symbols of > the Confederacy" is much more sweeping, but we can easily upgrade to that > if folks want. Argument for making this about the battle flag specifically > is that it hits Mississippi, where the Speaker of the House just raised > this issue as well ( > http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2015/06/22/petition-mississippi-confederate-flag/29113157/) > and a number of other places, but doesn't get us into debating the extra > star on the Arkansas flag or every single Robert E. Lee statue across the > south. > > On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:08 PM, Margolis, Jim <Jim.Margolis@gmmb.com> > wrote: > >> Dan >> Are we intentionally limiting our call to the confederate battle flag >> itself?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »
I think issue backfired on them, bigtime. I think it in part fueled Trump's rise. People are pissed off at this cultural crap the left is pulling.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:24:38 pm »
I think issue backfired on them, bigtime. I think it in part fueled Trump's rise. People are pissed off at this cultural crap the left is pulling.

It went nowhere because Trump said the flag belongs in museums and banned them from his rallies

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:25:06 pm »

It might have helped Trump with people too stupid or cowardly to know where Trump stands.

He says the flag belongs in a museum and prople have been thrown out of his rallies for waving it.

The south shall rise again...........if the NY liberal they support says its OK

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 06:27:35 pm »
It went nowhere because Trump said the flag belongs in museums and banned them from his rallies

Ok, but I think the cultural push by the left, beginning with this "privilege" stuff, the confederate flag, SJW's, BLM...

it all helped fuel Trump's rise.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:46:04 pm »

One of the few issues where NOBODY really got it right. Ted Cruz said it was an issue for those states which was better but still not quite right in my opinion.

It was the Sons of the Union civil war veterans who laid out the best case for leaving confederate symbols alone. They point out that over the years congress has enacted a number of laws which have granted confederate veterans and war dead full stature as American soldiers without distinction. That legally recognized respect should also extend to the official symbols those men fought under. Statues and flags should no more be removed than the Vietnam War Memorial be demolished or the USS Arizona be raised and cut up for scrap. (Which may be the eventual goal)

I'm a born and bred lifelong proud Yankee but this issue irritates me. It wasn't an issue when I was a kid so it doesn't make sense for it to be an issue now.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:18:05 pm »
I'm a born and bred lifelong proud Yankee but this issue irritates me. It wasn't an issue when I was a kid so it doesn't make sense for it to be an issue now.
It makes no sense as an issue to anyone other than to the left. Gotta gin up the hatred, and that requires a target on which to focus.

And there's the added advantage of marginalizing a despised adversary (meaning a demographic that typically votes for someone else) and forces them to bend to the left's will.

It could just as easily be anyone who drives a pickup truck as someone who flies the confederate flag.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
It wasn't an issue when I was a kid so it doesn't make sense for it to be an issue now.

Yes, but that's only because the civil war happened after your childhood. :p  :tongue2:

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:36:19 pm »
..... It wasn't an issue when I was a kid so it doesn't make sense for it to be an issue now.

Check the full email link above.

Like many things, they are creating issues. They are looking for things that can be sparks to set off divisions. They are trying to find issues that are a win for them and lose/lose for the right. In other words, no matter what the Right says, we could end up alienating a large percentage of their voting base.

It isn't that it is or was a real issue until they made it one.