Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 91726 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Holiday Recipe Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 11:50:01 pm »
Pretty much the same as any pumpkin or squash pie. Puree some steamed carrots and use instead of the pumpkin.
Sounds good. I'd make sure to use lots of spice.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Silver Pines

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 01:17:06 am »
I used to make pecan pies a-plenty when I was baker/prep cook at a local restaurant. They're so good, but so sweet!

@mountaineer

They are.  I'm not a fan of them for that reason.  German chocolate cake is another dessert that's super sweet to me.

But now, a very dark chocolate cake?  Oh, yeah.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 01:23:51 am »
@mountaineer

They are.  I'm not a fan of them for that reason.  German chocolate cake is another dessert that's super sweet to me.

But now, a very dark chocolate cake?  Oh, yeah.

Would you like some dark chocolate fudge icing on that cake, little girl?   :smokin:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 01:49:09 am »

Since cooked carrots are the nastiest thing ever, I think I will stick with pumpkin. ;)

PS, the pumpkin pie recipe I posted above isn't that dense, heavy pie you get from most places. It's more of a custard.  If it's dense and heavy you've overcooked it. :)
@mountaineer

It is carrot pie. Once you get the spices in there you don't know it is carrot. Besides, WHO didn't eat their veggies when they were a kid?  ^-^
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2016, 01:50:02 am »
Would you like some dark chocolate fudge icing on that cake, little girl?   :smokin:
@Polly Ticks  @CatherineofAragon

Where's my cape????
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 01:51:30 am »
Sounds good to me, Fred!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2016, 02:10:30 am »
@mountaineer

It is carrot pie. Once you get the spices in there you don't know it is carrot. Besides, WHO didn't eat their veggies when they were a kid?  ^-^

Well, my mom hates cooked carrots too, I was never forced to choke them down.  I do like them raw though.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2016, 02:16:26 am »
I love cooked carrots.  Love love love...especially if they are cooked with a roast or something like that.  Mmmm.  But even canned carrots are yummy to me.  Carrot juice is another matter.  That creeps me out.

I don't like that they get so sweet when they're cooked.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2016, 02:21:34 am »
I don't like that they get so sweet when they're cooked.

They are that sweet raw. Your mouth gets so busy trying to eat them it doesn't notice how sweet they are.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2016, 02:30:33 am »
@Polly Ticks  @CatherineofAragon

Where's my cape????

@bigheadfred
Not sure how I got pinged to your question, but I'll play along ...

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2016, 02:45:07 am »
I love cooked carrots.  Love love love...Mmmm. 

Have you seen a Doctor about that?  I understand there are a couple of pills that can clear it right up.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2016, 02:01:23 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

I would, please!

Silver Pines

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2016, 01:01:49 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2016, 02:43:05 am »
I love cooked carrots.  Love love love...especially if they are cooked with a roast or something like that.  Mmmm.  But even canned carrots are yummy to me.

Oh yeah... Butter and brown sugar with candied pecans busted all over the top...

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2016, 12:05:02 am »
Everyone commenting appears to be pretty competent in the kitchen, but I'll post my formula for gravy anyway.  The trick is getting the correct ratios and having a strong arm for whisking.

The basic ratio is 1 Tbsp fat, 1 Tbsp flour, 1 cup liquid.  If you like a thicker gravy like I do bump up the amount of flour to 1 1/2 Tbsps.

So for turkey gravy, if I wanted to make 4 cups:
4 Tbsp of rendered turkey fat
6 Tbsp of flour
4 cups turkey stock (I'm assuming y'all know how to make turkey stock, but you can use packaged chicken broth if you prefer)

In a pot heat up your turkey fat over medium high heat.
Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
Start adding stock a little at a time.  Keep whisking quickly until all liquid is incorporated.  Add more liquid.  Keep whisking.  Repeat until all liquid is added.  Keep whisking, don't stop!  Bring gravy to a boil for 1 minute to help thicken and get rid of the uncooked flour flavor.  Once it has boiled you can turn the heat down or off and stop whisking.  You can now season with salt, pepper, garlic and any other seasoning you like.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2016, 12:10:56 am »
For @Cripplecreek

Scalloped potatoes:

4 large potatoes - any waxy variety will do, though I prefer reds.
1 large sweet onion
1 pint milk
4 oz butter
2 tablespoons flour
sharp cheddar
paprika or cayenne pepper

Slice the potatoes thinly - I use a mandoline to get them ultra thin, but a knife works. Soak the slices in cold water with a dash of salt added until you are ready to use them.
Make a roux. Don't bother messing about with the classic way of do it. Put the flour in a jar with some of the milk and shake it vigorously. Melt the butter in a none stick pan, and, when it just starts to sizzle pour in the flour/milk mixture and stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally and adding milk as needed to keep the sauce consistency to that of thick cream.
Slice the onion. Preferably as thinly as the potatoes, but as close as you can manage.

In an oven proof dish, place a double layer of potatoes, a layer of onion and coat in sauce. Repeat until the dish is almost full. The top layer should be sauce covered potatoes.

Bake at 180 C (whatever that is in weird temps) for 45 mins. Sprinkle paprika or cayenne on the top of the scalloped potaotes, then applie a liberal layer of grated cheese. Bake for another 20 minutes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2016, 08:11:19 pm »
@mystery-ak @mountaineer @EC @roamer_1 @Scutter  @Cyber Liberty @Elderberry  @starstruck @uglybiker @CatherineofAragon @Sanguine @Victoria33 @Cripplecreek

OK people, carrot pies. Generic pie crust. I shorted myself on the mix a bit. I like to fill the pie until the mix is almost running out. @RoosGirl these are much the same as any pumpkin pie. If you think carrots are too sweet don't add so much to the mix. I also used a generic mix recipe. Cinnamon, condensed milk, sugar, salt, cloves, ginger, eggs,  a splash of nutmeg, and a couple of cups of pureed carrots. I need to dig around and see if we have any Coolwhip. I broke a crust a bit getting it out of the oven, so points lost for looks.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:13:15 pm by bigheadfred »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2016, 08:13:32 pm »
I'll be there in 10 minutes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2016, 08:14:45 pm »
@bigheadfred They look beautiful actually, but you can't just go mucking up a homemade pie by putting cool whip on them!  Make you some fresh whipped cream!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2016, 08:16:35 pm »
@mystery-ak @mountaineer @EC @roamer_1 @Scutter  @Cyber Liberty @Elderberry  @starstruck @uglybiker @CatherineofAragon @Sanguine @Victoria33 @Cripplecreek

OK people, carrot pies. Generic pie crust. I shorted myself on the mix a bit. I like to fill the pie until the mix is almost running out. @RoosGirl these are much the same as any pumpkin pie. If you think carrots are too sweet don't add so much to the mix. I also used a generic mix recipe. Cinnamon, condensed milk, sugar, salt, cloves, ginger, eggs,  a splash of nutmeg, and a couple of cups of pureed carrots. I need to dig around and see if we have any Coolwhip. I broke a crust a bit getting it out of the oven, so points lost for looks.

I agree with Roosgirl.  Whipped cream.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2016, 08:36:17 pm »
@bigheadfred They look beautiful actually, but you can't just go mucking up a homemade pie by putting cool whip on them!  Make you some fresh whipped cream!
@Sanguine

Fresh whipped cream sounds great. But I need to plan for that in advance. Which I didn't. There are a couple of gas stations open here on Sunday and it is a least an hour round trip to the big town. This is a trial anyways. So I'll use that excuse too.

Silver Pines

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2016, 08:38:18 pm »
I agree with Roosgirl.  Whipped cream.

@Sanguine
@RoosGirl

Yes!  Heavy cream in a bowl and whip until you get stiff peaks.  Make sure the bowl and the mixer blades are chilled---stick them in the freezer or fridge.  Add a little real vanilla if you want.

@bigheadfred is going to have to host a TBR get-together if he keeps producing such delicious looking food.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2016, 08:57:01 pm »
@bigheadfred

I've never heard of carrot pie but that looks YUMMY!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️