Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 91745 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Holiday Recipe Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 06:32:44 pm »
I'm going to start by asking how people cook their turkeys. I already know how to cook my goose. Anyways, we tent the bird until the last hour or two when we remove the tent to brown the bird.

I brine in an apple cider solution at least 24 hours. I stuff with a bulb of garlic cut along the center, a quartered onion, a quartered lemon, and a handful of sage, thyme, and parsley. I also generously salt and pepper the cavity before stuffing. I roast breast down first hour then flip CAREFULLY and tent until it's time to brown.

I also carve like Ina Garten suggests by cutting the breasts off whole and then cutting them into pieces in the opposite direction you would if carving on the bird. No puny slices here!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »
@Cyber Liberty , the experts say to make the stuffing separate from the bird, not in the bird anymore.

Has something to do with salmonella I think.

I don't because you have to over cook the turkey to get the stuffing done. I pull my bird out five degrees before done and let it sit for an hour. No joke. It will carry over cook up to temp yet still be hot enough to serve. It will also be super moist.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »

Got a batch of cinnamon rolls done. Three different pans. Stoneware, Pyrex, metal. The ones in the metal pan are a bit overdone on the bottom so by force we have to eat those first...heavy sigh.

Dang those look great, @bigheadfred !

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2016, 06:40:47 pm »
Worked my way to the inner core. Thought I'd show some size comparison to a standard apple.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 06:42:33 pm »
I brine in an apple cider solution at least 24 hours. I stuff with a bulb of garlic cut along the center, a quartered onion, a quartered lemon, and a handful of sage, thyme, and parsley. I also generously salt and pepper the cavity before stuffing. I roast breast down first hour then flip CAREFULLY and tent until it's time to brown.

I also carve like Ina Garten suggests by cutting the breasts off whole and then cutting them into pieces in the opposite direction you would if carving on the bird. No puny slices here!

Sounds like an interesting brine. Have you tried it on chicken? Thinking maybe to try it on something smaller. And can you post a recipe for it?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2016, 06:43:35 pm »
Dang those look great, @bigheadfred !

The recipe I use is posted upthread. (and thanks)

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2016, 07:03:36 pm »
Sounds like an interesting brine. Have you tried it on chicken? Thinking maybe to try it on something smaller. And can you post a recipe for it?

I dump a gallon of cider into a five gallon bucket with a cup of salt and a cup of sugar. After adding the turkey I top off with water. I haven't tried it on chicken, but I'm sure it would be delish!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2016, 08:55:00 pm »
@Cyber Liberty @mystery-ak @LadyLiberty @Freya @Luis Gonzalez

Got a batch of cinnamon rolls done. Three different pans. Stoneware, Pyrex, metal. The ones in the metal pan are a bit overdone on the bottom so by force we have to eat those first...heavy sigh.

Oh YUM!!!!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 05:32:16 pm »

OMG those look good..I haven't made those for years

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 06:38:20 pm »
Can you put on weight from looking at those wondrous things? 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2016, 05:55:06 am »
Hooray, I found this thread.  Thank you @Cyber Liberty

First of all, those cinnamon rolls look amazing! @bigheadfred .  I haven't tried the sourdough starter, but I use yogurt culture from this place. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/sourdough-starter.html 

Another little trick I learned about is making a big batch of dough and keeping it in the fridge.  Pull out just enough that you'll want for the day.  As the dough gets older it starts to pick up that sour flavor.  At the end of the week mix up a new batch of dough and mix in to it whatever is left over of the previous batch.  It will start to sour faster with the older dough mixed in.  I learned this from the book The New Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day.

We kind of got tired of turkey, so the last few years I will throw a brisket on the grill or a prime rib roast into the oven.  @LadyLiberty I love cooking rib roasts and have tried a lot of different ways, but the way it turns out the best for me is quickly browning the outside on high heat on the stove and then putting it in a 225* oven.  I always use a meat thermometer so there's no guessing whether it's cooked the way we want.  When you cook at that nice low temp it keeps the meat nice and pink all the way through instead of the grey that meat turns when it is cooked too much.

Oh yea, y'all might try frying your turkeys in sunflower oil or grapeseed oil.  Those are both high heat oils and have pretty neutral flavors.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:08:06 am by RoosGirl »

Silver Pines

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2016, 11:22:25 pm »

@bigheadfred

They look straight out of a food magazine.  They're perfect!

Silver Pines

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2016, 11:24:37 pm »
This is what I got my husband and son a few years ago..it was a special on QVC..and they both love it!

But I am like Cyber I don't care for peanut oil and this is what is recommended for this machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23011114-Butterball-Indoor-Electric/dp/B00BWKN0HC

@Myst, I saw that on QVC this morning...they had different colors!  I've never had fried turkey...they were making it look really good. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:20 pm »
for those interested OVC has the electric turkey fryer pn sale..it is the one I have and we love it.
http://www.qvc.com/Butterball-XXL-Premium-Digital-Electric-Indoor-Turkey-Fryer.product.K44633.html?sc=TSV&UDC=TSV&MSG=TSV_OTO_INSTOCK
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Silver Pines

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:03 pm »
The last few years our family goes out to eat. This year my mom asked my sister to get a pre made dinner from Whole Foods.

@Freya
It's kind of weird with my in-laws.  They never want to rotate Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve get-togethers.  They always want to have it at their place, which is really big and can accommodate the extended family.  Occasionally they'll get catering but when my MIL cooks, she wants everything done JUST SO to the last detail or it's no good, God love her.  We can bring dishes, but she always has a big production going on. 

I think the best Thanksgiving we've had was when everyone was out of town and we helped my husband's sister and her Mr. move into their house.  We ate dinner off paper plates, and we couldn't find half of what we needed because of the mess, but it was fun.

Silver Pines

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 11:34:38 pm »
for those interested OVC has the electric turkey fryer pn sale..it is the one I have and we love it.
http://www.qvc.com/Butterball-XXL-Premium-Digital-Electric-Indoor-Turkey-Fryer.product.K44633.html?sc=TSV&UDC=TSV&MSG=TSV_OTO_INSTOCK

Yep, that's what I watched this morning.  That price isn't bad at all.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2016, 12:09:25 am »
We usually get together for TG with my brother, my sister and her family, but this year Mr. M said he wanted to run a 5K race Thanksgiving morning, so we're just going to have dinner by ourselves: the usual turkey, cranberry sauce and some sort of pie, but just on a smaller scale than usual.

Which reminds me, there have to be plenty of punky pie recipes out there, so start posting! I've made both the evaporated milk recipe and the sweetened condensed milk version of a traditional pie, both perfectly acceptable, as well as pumpkin cheesecake. Any other popular variations you all might share?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:59 am »
We usually get together for TG with my brother, my sister and her family, but this year Mr. M said he wanted to run a 5K race Thanksgiving morning, so we're just going to have dinner by ourselves: the usual turkey, cranberry sauce and some sort of pie, but just on a smaller scale than usual.

Which reminds me, there have to be plenty of punky pie recipes out there, so start posting! I've made both the evaporated milk recipe and the sweetened condensed milk version of a traditional pie, both perfectly acceptable, as well as pumpkin cheesecake. Any other popular variations you all might share?

I'll see if my mom has my dad's carrot pie recipe.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2016, 10:54:53 am »
I'll see if my mom has my dad's carrot pie recipe.
Ooh, that's intriguing!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2016, 07:06:41 pm »
Pumpkin or Squash Pie (I have not tried this with squash)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger (I'm not a huge ginger fan and leave this out)
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups canned or cooked, strained pumpkin or squash
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light cream
9 inch pie shell, unbaked

Mix sugar, salt and spices; add pumpkin, lightly beaten eggs, and the milk and cream gradually. If pumpkin is very moist, use less liquid. Brush shell with egg white. Add the filling, and bake in hot oven, 425 F, for 20 mins. Reduce heat to 275 F, and bake for 40 mins longer or until knife inserted near edge of custard comes out clean.  Cool at room temp. 

Probably could substitute carrots for pumpkin, but man this recipe with fresh cooked pumpkin is so good.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:08:40 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:31 pm »
Pecan Pie
8 inch pie shell, unbaked
1 cup pecan halves
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup melted butter

Make pastry shell with fluted edge. Spread nuts over bottom of shell. Beat eggs; add sugar, syrup, salt, vanilla and butter. Pour filling over pecans. Bake 10 mins in very hot oven, 450 F. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 45 mins longer.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2016, 08:33:59 pm »
I used to make pecan pies a-plenty when I was baker/prep cook at a local restaurant. They're so good, but so sweet!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2016, 08:48:24 pm »
I used to make pecan pies a-plenty when I was baker/prep cook at a local restaurant. They're so good, but so sweet!

Yeah, pecan pie isn't my favorite because of how sweet it is, but the rest of the family loves it.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »
Ooh, that's intriguing!
@RoosGirl

Pretty much the same as any pumpkin or squash pie. Puree some steamed carrots and use instead of the pumpkin.

My mom is in AZ and her recipes are up here.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2016, 10:27:54 pm »
@RoosGirl

Pretty much the same as any pumpkin or squash pie. Puree some steamed carrots and use instead of the pumpkin.

My mom is in AZ and her recipes are up here.

Since cooked carrots are the nastiest thing ever, I think I will stick with pumpkin. ;)

PS, the pumpkin pie recipe I posted above isn't that dense, heavy pie you get from most places. It's more of a custard.  If it's dense and heavy you've overcooked it. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:30:25 pm by RoosGirl »