Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 89576 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Holiday Recipe Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »
Okay, I can't tell if you're joking me or not.  Just in case, the big green thing is a Big Green Egg, a most excellent smoker.  The digital device is a computerized controller that controls the temperature of the Egg (the really cool part is you can set it so that as the bird approaches the final temp it lowers the pit temp to match, keeping the meat at the perfect finish temp w/o the chance of overcooking).

Yeah, I am kidding you. I smoked a big turkey once. It was good but we got burned out on smoked turkey. My smoker is an old white steel enameled Frigidaire refrigerator. It being insulated I get really good temp control. I usually smoke some of the trout we catch and dry my jerky in it. I took the little metal freezer box out and use it as a cover for a hotplate in the bottom with a pan of wood chips.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 02:28:04 pm »
I really like fried turkey, we have an electric fryer that we bought to replace a gas one I had used a few times.  It's much better, safer too.  Problems are...no stuffing, no drippings for gravy.  Oh, the oil adds a significant cost.  Most people seem to like the peanut oil, I don't care for that much and prefer liquid shortening that I can only get at the Costco.  Gives the bird a more buttery taste.  You can cook several birds sequentially for the neighbors to defray the cost of the oil.  Cooking time is great, about 45 minutes for a 13-pounder.

We have a rotisserie too, a really nice stainless one Mrs. Liberty had since the 70's.  Still no stuffing but we get great drippings.  The rotisserie makes truly awesome Prime Rib.

Oh, it costs extra but we prefer fresh, never frozen turkey.  Tastes much better than the frozen stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 02:35:07 pm »
@Cyber Liberty , the experts say to make the stuffing separate from the bird, not in the bird anymore.

Has something to do with salmonella I think.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »
@Cyber Liberty , the experts say to make the stuffing separate from the bird, not in the bird anymore.

Has something to do with salmonella I think.

I've heard that, and I say to heck with them and double down by putting eggs in the stuffing.  Some day you'll hear of the ocean of dead people at my house...

We haven't done the rotisserie thing for a couple years, I bet I can talk Mrs. Liberty into that.

Hey, congrats on the poll-worker gig!   :patriot:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »
I really like fried turkey, we have an electric fryer that we bought to replace a gas one I had used a few times.  It's much better, safer too.  Problems are...no stuffing, no drippings for gravy.  Oh, the oil adds a significant cost.  Most people seem to like the peanut oil, I don't care for that much and prefer liquid shortening that I can only get at the Costco.  Gives the bird a more buttery taste.  You can cook several birds sequentially for the neighbors to defray the cost of the oil.  Cooking time is great, about 45 minutes for a 13-pounder.

We have a rotisserie too, a really nice stainless one Mrs. Liberty had since the 70's.  Still no stuffing but we get great drippings.  The rotisserie makes truly awesome Prime Rib.

Oh, it costs extra but we prefer fresh, never frozen turkey.  Tastes much better than the frozen stuff.
@Freya

We don't worry about salmonella. Take a couple of baths with the turkey in the thawing process and it is clean. A friend of my son's brought a turkey fryer over one time. We did 3 birds in the peanut oil.  I would rather have oven cooked.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 03:39:55 pm »
@Freya

We don't worry about salmonella. Take a couple of baths with the turkey in the thawing process and it is clean. A friend of my son's brought a turkey fryer over one time. We did 3 birds in the peanut oil.  I would rather have oven cooked.

The last few years our family goes out to eat. This year my mom asked my sister to get a pre made dinner from Whole Foods.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »
@Freya

I don't like peanut oil, either.  I use liquid shortening.  Gives a more buttery flavor.  Mrs. prefers oven, so that's how it usually goes.  We might get Chompies (local deli/restaurant) again this year.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »
I've heard that, and I say to heck with them and double down by putting eggs in the stuffing.  Some day you'll hear of the ocean of dead people at my house...

We haven't done the rotisserie thing for a couple years, I bet I can talk Mrs. Liberty into that.

Hey, congrats on the poll-worker gig!   :patriot:

I got your stuffing for you... Cuban style.

Congri and fried sweet plantains.

Congri is black beans and rice cooked together with some small pork chunks and lots of garlic etc, and over-ripe plantains sliced and fried.

Line the turkey's cavity with a few slices of bacon, stuff it with the congri and a few slices of plantains and in the oven it goes. 
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 04:14:11 pm »
I got your stuffing for you... Cuban style.

Congri and fried sweet plantains.

Congri is black beans and rice cooked together with some small pork chunks and lots of garlic etc, and over-ripe plantains sliced and fried.

Line the turkey's cavity with a few slices of bacon, stuff it with the congri and a few slices of plantains and in the oven it goes.

I never would have thought of plantains.  I'd never had them until a few years ago when a Venezuelan place opened up a few blocks from me.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 04:20:58 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 04:21:13 pm »
This is what I got my husband and son a few years ago..it was a special on QVC..and they both love it!

But I am like Cyber I don't care for peanut oil and this is what is recommended for this machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23011114-Butterball-Indoor-Electric/dp/B00BWKN0HC
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »
This is what I got my husband and son a few years ago..it was a special on QVC..and they both love it!

But I am like Cyber I don't care for peanut oil and this is what is recommended for this machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-23011114-Butterball-Indoor-Electric/dp/B00BWKN0HC

That's pretty large!  You have a football team to feed over there?
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 04:30:37 pm »

I would have a hard time justifying that purchase since I probably wouldn't use it much. My sister gave us a nice roasting pan. I'm giving some cinnamon rolls a try. Haven't felt much like kneading dough in the past. Looks like my yeast is old.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »
That's pretty large!  You have a football team to feed over there?

It's expensive to fill with oil too.....when we use it hubby fries a 12lb turkey and I bake a 20lb..everyone goes home with leftovers..lol

we have used it to fry just a turkey breast...did 2 chickens a couple of times and we tried fried chicken....all good...but like I said not a fan of the peanut oil flavor it gives things
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2016, 04:47:05 pm »
It's expensive to fill with oil too.....when we use it hubby fries a 12lb turkey and I bake a 20lb..everyone goes home with leftovers..lol

we have used it to fry just a turkey breast...did 2 chickens a couple of times and we tried fried chicken....all good...but like I said not a fan of the peanut oil flavor it gives things

That's why I use Creamy Liquid Shortening.  It's rated high enough for deep frying.  But it's pricey, this box is $25.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:16:42 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:52 pm »
Looks like my yeast is not too active. We need to do a bit of grocery shopping anyhow. It's probably been at least 8 months since I baked anything other than pie or cookies and I don't need yeast for that. I buy it in the bulk section along with spices. Small amounts so there is rotation. However the last time the wife got some yeast she got too much. I should have frozen it instead of refrigerating it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 05:06:45 pm »
That's why I use Creamy Liquid Shortening.  It's rated high enough for deep frying.  But it's pricey, this box is $35.

They sell Baker's and Chef's products at Sam's club, too. Plus I don't want to overrun the grocery budget. I also have a penny pincher mentality.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 05:14:18 pm »
They sell Baker's and Chef's products at Sam's club, too. Plus I don't want to overrun the grocery budget. I also have a penny pincher mentality.

That stuff works really well in the fryer I have for general use in the kitchen.  Makes me wish I could get it in smaller quantities.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 05:18:44 pm »
@Luis Gonzalez , is this the recipe for Congri?

That's a good starter. There are as many congri recipes are there are abuelas in Cuba.

Personally. I like a few slices of a good Spanish chorizo and some pieces of chicharron thrown in there.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 05:27:34 pm »
That's a good starter. There are as many congri recipes are there are abuelas in Cuba.

Personally. I like a few slices of a good Spanish chorizo and some pieces of chicharron thrown in there.

I've heard Spanish Chorizo is different from Mexican Chorizo. I grind my own sausage so it probably wouldn't be too hard to mix in some spices with a package and let it sit for a couple of days (in the fridge) to penetrate.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2016, 06:48:59 pm »
I would have a hard time justifying that purchase since I probably wouldn't use it much. My sister gave us a nice roasting pan. I'm giving some cinnamon rolls a try. Haven't felt much like kneading dough in the past. Looks like my yeast is old.

I didn't pay that amount...I bought 2 for that at QVC..it was a today's special..
Support the USO

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 06:57:44 pm »
Looks like my yeast is old.

Regularly scheduled checkups with a good Doctor could have prevented that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:58:35 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 08:46:25 pm »
Regularly scheduled checkups with a good Doctor could have prevented that.

The last 10 doctor visits they are all poking at my liver. No one seemed concerned with my yeaster.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2016, 10:01:11 pm »
This is my go-to for Christmas prime rib:  http://homecooking.about.com/od/beefrecipes/r/blbeef173.htm

The horseradish dill cream sauce is great, too, but I always wished I had a gas mask when grating that root.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 06:24:18 pm »
@Cyber Liberty @mystery-ak @LadyLiberty @Freya @Luis Gonzalez

Got a batch of cinnamon rolls done. Three different pans. Stoneware, Pyrex, metal. The ones in the metal pan are a bit overdone on the bottom so by force we have to eat those first...heavy sigh.