Author Topic: Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread  (Read 91344 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Recipe Thread
« on: October 22, 2016, 01:38:48 am »
Post your favorite holiday recipes here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:50:39 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

Re: The *OFFICIAL* TBR Holiday Recipe Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:42:52 am »
bkmk

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 01:43:41 am »
I'm going to start by asking how people cook their turkeys. I already know how to cook my goose. Anyways, we tent the bird until the last hour or two when we remove the tent to brown the bird.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:44:09 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 01:49:06 am »
I'm going to start by asking how people cook their turkeys. I already know how to cook my goose. Anyways, we tent the bird until the last hour or two when we remove the tent to brown the bird.

Well, although I bought my husband an electric turkey deep fryer a few years ago I prefer the old fashioned baked in the oven bird..I don't do anything special..I salt and pepper it and coat it in softened butter..and bake...I start basting it about an hour and a half before done to get it a deep golden brown.

I make my own stuffing..my mother's old recipe that everyone loves.....I put some in the turkey and some in a baking dish....I prefer the stuffing from inside the bird.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:52:34 am »

Slow roasted in the oven overnight.  Apparently, nobody much does it that way anymore for fear of food poisoning, but I've been doing mine that way for years and my mom did hers that way for years before that, and none of us have ever gotten sick so far.  I'm willing to risk it.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 01:53:02 am »
Well, although I bought my husband an electric turkey deep fryer a few years ago I prefer the old fashioned baked in the oven bird..I don't do anything special..I salt and pepper it and coat it in softened butter..and bake...I start basting it about an hour and a half before done to get it a deep golden brown.

I make my own stuffing..my mother's old recipe that everyone loves.....I put some in the turkey and some in a baking dish....I prefer the stuffing from inside the bird.

We put celery sticks in the bird. A little season salt and pepper on the outside. Anymore it is out-of-the-box stuffing.  My dad's mom made some good sage stuffing.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 01:55:39 am »
We put celery sticks in the bird. A little season salt and pepper on the outside. Anymore it is out-of-the-box stuffing.  My dad's mom made some good sage stuffing.

That's what mine is..a sage stuffing...my sisters and brother make it now for their families....I need to teach my dil's how to make it...lol
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:56:28 am »
Slow roasted in the oven overnight.  Apparently, nobody much does it that way anymore for fear of food poisoning, but I've been doing mine that way for years and my mom did hers that way for years before that, and none of us have ever gotten sick so far.  I'm willing to risk it.

I usually get up early to get the bird cooking on slow. Then up the heat to finish it off. As always, good practices handling raw meat.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 01:56:38 am »
One thing, for me, in having a more moist turkey, was learning that the USDA changed their suggested temperature for a done turkey from 180 to 165 degrees.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 01:59:29 am »
One thing, for me, in having a more moist turkey, was learning that the USDA changed their suggested temperature for a done turkey from 180 to 165 degrees.

I do the old drumstick test...if you can twist it it is done....another mom trick....my mom was a great cook..she should have wrote a cookbook....
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:04:03 am »
I have been using this recipe (more or less) for cinnamon rolls. I use more sugar--liking a sweeter dough.

http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2014/09/easy-super-soft-cinnamon-rolls.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 02:14:03 am »
I've made these pretzels several times. Always a big hit. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-pretzels-recipe

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 02:17:05 am »
I need to save these links..lol
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 02:19:19 am »
I've made these pretzels several times. Always a big hit. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-pretzels-recipe

I have never tried sourdough though I love it. Have you used that starter?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 02:24:17 am »

It sounds like you cook a bird like I do. Keep it simple.  Except no stuffing. Instead, lots and lots of cornbread dressing.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 02:27:54 am »
I have never tried sourdough though I love it. Have you used that starter?

I started out using my own home-made starter. Then I got around to buying a starter. And I've maintained it ever since.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 02:31:47 am »
I started out using my own home-made starter. Then I got around to buying a starter. And I've maintained it ever since.

I tried making a starter once. It was an abysmal failure. hangs head. I'm going to see what is available around town.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 02:35:01 am »
I tried making a starter once. It was an abysmal failure. hangs head. I'm going to see what is available around town.

This is the starter that I bought: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-fresh-sourdough-starter-1-oz

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
BFL

Offline kalee

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 11:37:40 am »
Bookmark

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 12:14:25 pm »

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 12:50:05 pm »
I've never had goose or pheasant or quail. They are on my bucket list.
So is a turducken.

I watched a video on Food network of Paula Deen making a fried turkey. It looked yummy.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 01:04:42 pm »

Oh come on now. Cooking isn't THAT hard. I can't imagine your holiday festivities are that big of a bomb.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 01:30:53 pm »
Oh come on now. Cooking isn't THAT hard. I can't imagine your holiday festivities are that big of a bomb.

Okay, I can't tell if you're joking me or not.  Just in case, the big green thing is a Big Green Egg, a most excellent smoker.  The digital device is a computerized controller that controls the temperature of the Egg (the really cool part is you can set it so that as the bird approaches the final temp it lowers the pit temp to match, keeping the meat at the perfect finish temp w/o the chance of overcooking).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 01:44:29 pm »
Holiday recipes have to include desserts. I usually like to try something new every year. Here's one I'm doing this year that combines two great flavors, apple and cranberry. (Did a test run a few weeks ago, and it's good!)
Apple Cranberry Pie

Make your usual regular double-crust pastry. Fill it with a mixture of:

2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
2 medium tart apples (e.g., Granny Smith), peeled and coarsely chopped
1-1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (can use a little more, if desired)
1 to 2 T. butter

Combine everything but the butter. Pour into the crust. Dot with the butter. Put on top crust.*
Bake at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Cool on rack.
*Instead of the usual plain or lattice top crust, try cutting out shapes like apples, pumpkins, leaves, whatever you like, and scatter them on top of the filling.

Another variation: add a little bit of ground coriander. It really deepens the flavor. Also can adjust the apple-cranberry ratio a bit in favor of apples, say, 3 apples and fewer cranberries.

Serve warm with some ice cream or whipped cream.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org