Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 111022 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #425 on: August 20, 2022, 05:39:01 pm »
For those interested, most gen. dbase services have the 1950 census up, and indexed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #426 on: August 30, 2022, 04:04:30 pm »
Have used FTDNA and Ancestry's dna tests with great results.  I think FTDNA is more competent in the field, but Ancestry's tools for matches beat FTDNA hands down.  Have you taken the plunge at FTDNA with Big Y yet?  Been a bust here so far.  My drilled down to a finite haplogroup that has about only 3 other members, and none have my surname.  :(

Just signed up to upgrade my Y 67 to Big Y today after learning that the man I had listed as my 6th GG grandfather was in the wrong haplogroup and thus could not possibly be the father of my 5th GG grandfather.  Don't expect much immediately but Y DNA research is rapidly expanding databases. @catfish1957
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 04:12:34 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #427 on: August 30, 2022, 04:46:36 pm »
Just signed up to upgrade my Y 67 to Big Y today after learning that the man I had listed as my 6th GG grandfather was in the wrong haplogroup and thus could not possibly be the father of my 5th GG grandfather.  Don't expect much immediately but Y DNA research is rapidly expanding databases. @catfish1957

Same problem here at my 5-GGF level.  Different  Haplogroup in my surname who arrived in VA in about 1700 from Scotland.  OTOH, there are 9 of a match of a different surname.  So there was some form or fashion of a paternal mishap in my paternal line between 1700-1770.  Another Scottish surname instead. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #428 on: August 30, 2022, 05:03:07 pm »
Same problem here at my 5-GGF level.  Different  Haplogroup in my surname who arrived in VA in about 1700 from Scotland.  OTOH, there are 9 of a match of a different surname.  So there was some form or fashion of a paternal mishap in my paternal line between 1700-1770.  Another Scottish surname instead.

Human nature being what it is, I'm sure that "woodpile" events didn't just start recently.  I'm sure they are more common than once imagined and DNA is uncovering them.

My wife and I have been married for 54 years. Until about 4 years ago we had no reason to suspect that the man listed on her birth certificate as her father was not her biological father, but it turns out he isn't. The man who IS her biological father is long since departed and never knew she existed. All this revealed because of DNA results.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #429 on: August 30, 2022, 05:05:14 pm »
Human nature being what it is, I'm sure that "woodpile" events didn't just start recently.  I'm sure they are more common than once imagined and DNA is uncovering them.

My wife and I have been married for 54 years. Until about 4 years ago we had no reason to suspect that the man listed on her birth certificate as her father was not her biological father, but it turns out he isn't. The man who IS her biological father is long since departed and never knew she existed. All this revealed because of DNA results.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #430 on: August 31, 2022, 01:56:55 am »

My wife and I have been married for 54 years. Until about 4 years ago we had no reason to suspect that the man listed on her birth certificate as her father was not her biological father, but it turns out he isn't.

@Bigun

Well,yeah,he was. In FACT,he was the only father she knew. The other man was just a sperm donor.

BTW,do NOT belittle the term "sperm donor". Who knows how many families would have never existed if it hadn't been for their secret "interventions"?

The woman and the man had a child and a family to raise.

While I am sure that some of these donors were local neighbors,I SUSPECT that more than a few of them were the traveling salesmen that took their wagons to remote locations to sell their goods.

While there,alone with the wife because the man was out working the fields or hunting for game,the salesman happened to make an anonymous "donation" that created a family.

And let's face it,frontier families would have never survived without the help of children.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #431 on: May 07, 2023, 11:57:54 am »
Those guys from SP have become legends....    :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5M7A5j5W7U