Author Topic: GOP ex-prosecutors slam Trump over threat to 'jail' Clinton  (Read 2183 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
GOP ex-prosecutors slam Trump over threat to 'jail' Clinton
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:41:24 pm »
'The Justice Department isn't a political tool and it ought not to be employed that way.'

Donald Trump’s debate-night vow to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton’s email setup and put her “in jail” provoked a sharp blowback from former U.S. prosecutors, who said Trump’s view of the Justice Department serving the whims of the president is antithetical to the American system.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-clinton-jail-ex-prosecutors-slam-229547#ixzz4MhmiI6Oq
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Offline Rivergirl

Re: GOP ex-prosecutors slam Trump over threat to 'jail' Clinton
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »
Oh, it was just a joke.  Much like the one who spoke those words.

Offline beandog

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:45:46 pm »

I thought it was his best line and she certainly deserved it.

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:06 pm »
Oh, it was just a joke.  Much like the one who spoke those words.

Kellyann is that you? That was just the excuse they were making this morning.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-jail-clinton-quip-229531?lo=ap_b1

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:06:43 pm »
Hey, it's not like she wouldn't get a fair trial.

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:31:31 pm »
I thought it was his best line and she certainly deserved it.

For his supporters, yes.

For anyone who hasn't made up their mind, no.

Ask yourself, had Hillary promised to toss Trump in jail is she wins... would that send chills down your spine?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:37:25 pm »

Ask yourself, had Hillary promised to toss Trump in jail is she wins... would that send chills down your spine?

" Don’t champion any policy you would have vigorously opposed and ridiculed 12 months ago."  Daniel Horowitz, Conservative Review 9/14/2016
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 06:40:30 pm »
For his supporters, yes.

A good rule of thumb, just remove the names and parties to determine if you are being honest in your application.

Throwing political opponents in jail is third world crap, not something the President of the United States does.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:46:41 pm »
It was the most stupid comment imaginable. Yes every true conservative Trump supporter or not,  would love to see Hillary  prosecuted and punished,  but these debates are not being held to sway Conservatives or Liberals for that matter - but Swing Voters, most of which are women. That same demographic needed to win the Swing States are horrifically turned off by that sort of "vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord Trump" talk.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:50:40 pm »
Classic Trump's misstatement.

The idea may or may not be wrong. But he should have said, you will be on trial, instead of saying that she would be in jail. IMHO.

Of course he is known for bombast so there's no reigning him in that I can imagine.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »
Hey, it's not like she wouldn't get a fair trial.

.... eventually

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 06:54:08 pm »

The idea may or may not be wrong. But he should have said, you will be on trial, instead of saying that she would be in jail. IMHO.

Of course he is known for bombast so there's no reigning him in that I can imagine.

In other words, you are projecting your belief in what you wanted him to say on him.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:56:20 pm by AbaraXas »

geronl

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 06:55:01 pm »
It was the most stupid comment imaginable. Yes every true conservative Trump supporter or not,  would love to see Hillary  prosecuted and punished,  but these debates are not being held to sway Conservatives or Liberals for that matter - but Swing Voters, most of which are women. That same demographic needed to win the Swing States are horrifically turned off by that sort of "vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord Trump" talk.

and trying to blame her for her husbands wrong-doings isn't going to fly. (much less because Trump was defending Bill and trashing those victims just a few months before he joined the race)

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 07:03:28 pm »
In other words, you are projecting your belief in what you wanted him to say on him.

No. No projection. I have become numb to Trump's saying the right thing in the wrong way. He does it so often.

He posters here have expressed frustration with Trump's habit of shooting himself in the foot just when things are going best for him.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 07:16:25 pm »
For his supporters, yes.

More Democrat talking points...Luntz did a focus group that showed undecideds heavily favoring Trump after the debate.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 07:18:57 pm »

Throwing political opponents in jail is third world crap, not something the President of the United States does.

Tom DeLay anyone?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »
More Democrat talking points...Luntz did a focus group that showed undecideds heavily favoring Trump after the debate.

18 people. 

Two scientific polls showed Hillary winning the debate in both.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:02 pm »
A good rule of thumb, just remove the names and parties to determine if you are being honest in your application.

Respectfully, allowing powerful politicians to skate where any one of us would do jail time is third world crap.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »
Respectfully, allowing powerful politicians to skate where any one of us would do jail time is third world crap.

:amen:

Offline Longmire

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 07:55:27 pm »
Two scientific polls showed Hillary winning the debate in both.

A hot take by a focus group of actual undecided voters is more valuable than skewed media polls.

scientific polling is an oxymoron.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:37 pm »

We may not yet live in a third world country, but we most certainly already have a third world government and judicial system.

If you are famous or mega wealthy or connected, you very little need to fear "laws". Law is for the serfs and the peasantry.

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »
Tom DeLay anyone?

Exactly.  If you find that objectionable, why are you excusing Trump for threatening the same thing?  That simply makes you a hypocrite (as if we needed more evidence of that).

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 08:15:13 pm »

Yup. Had he tried to explain WHY he'd have damaged her and given them little recourse to spaz.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 11:46:32 pm »

A cabinet secretary repeatedly mishandles/loses (sells?) top secret information, lies about it, destroys evidence, and has her staff do the same...all while receiving hundreds of millions of dollars to a 'charitable' foundation in her name from foreign governments  and people doing business with the United States.

Yep...sounds like some serious felonies requiring jail time to me.  :police:

The administration the person worked for intervenes in and impedes the investigation, loses or destroys evidence and misleads Congress in pursuit of its oversight responsibilities.

Yep...sounds like some more serious felonies requiring jail time to me.  :police:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 11:51:34 pm »
Of all the stuff to slam Donny on, this is at the lowest end of importance. Quite honestly he could have gone over to Hitlary and cold cocked her and I wouldn't care. She is a piece of garbage that should be beat with a sock full of oranges as far as I'm concerned.