Author Topic: ‘Locker Room Banter’ or Far Worse? Trump’s Lewd Language, Analyzed by Psychologists  (Read 1878 times)

Online libertybele

It's far worse.  Given that his supporters seems to follow and approve of anything he says and does, this sets an example to our youth of how women can and should be treated.  After all, the consequence is merely a quick slap on the wrist and life goes on.  Trump is NOT any sort of role model for this country, nor is he fit to be Commander in Chief!

‘Locker Room Banter’ or Far Worse? Trump’s Lewd Language, Analyzed by Psychologists

...In an initial statement made on Friday, Trump passed off his words as “locker room banter” and “a private conversation that took place many years ago,” adding that “Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course.” Early Saturday morning, he released a video, stating: “I’ve never said I’m a perfect person nor pretended to be someone that I’m not. I’ve said and done things I regret and the words released today, on this more than a decade old video, are one of them.”

But the experts we spoke with are concerned that such attitudes and language can perpetuate violence against women.

“The language that Trump used was typical ‘bro talk’ in which men talk to other men about women as if they (women) are sex objects rather than fully human,” Sarah Gervais, PhD, associate professor of psychology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, tells Yahoo Beauty in an email. “When you describe women only in terms of their sex appeal or reduce them to their sexual body parts, you render invisible their humanity.”

She points out that the tone of Trump’s “banter” may also be harmful to female self-confidence. “Research from our lab shows that when women are treated in objectifying ways, they start to see themselves as sexual objects and feel more body shame, heightened anxiety and safety concerns,” says Gervais. “Seeing this type of behavior from our leaders (even if they say that it is only ‘locker room’ talk), reinforces the notion that women are and should be treated as sex objects. It is highly problematic for the way men see women as well as how women see themselves.

Experts went as far as saying that this sort of language, when used by a leader, could potentially contribute to attitudes of violence against women.

Neil Malamuth, PhD, is a professor in the University of California-Los Angeles’s Department of Psychology who studies the causes of sexual aggression. He tells Yahoo Beauty that the type of comments made by Trump and the attitudes that seem to underlie them “clearly are similar” to the measures of attitudes supporting violence against women that his research has consistently shown to contribute to men’s sexual aggression against women...

“We found, as predicted, that men who are more prone to commit acts of sexual aggression in the real world in this context did express in how they talked to women — hostility, put downs — anger at their rejection,” Malamuth notes. “This one study shows the activation of that kind of aggression that can be expressed in words.”

Malamuth notes that the individuals we choose to lead our country are those who we feel can represent our “best qualities” and become role models for ourselves and our children. “If our best qualities are conducive to violence against women, it certainly doesn’t help create a climate that would reduce violence against women and if anything might contribute to a social climate that, at a societal and individual level, facilitates and encourages violence against women.”...

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/locker-room-banter-or-far-far-worse-trumps-051412839.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Norm Lenhart

It's far worse.  Given that his supporters seems to follow and approve of anything he says and does, this sets an example to our youth of how women can and should be treated.  After all, the consequence is merely a quick slap on the wrist and life goes on.  Trump is NOT any sort of role model for this country, nor is he fit to be Commander in Chief!

‘Locker Room Banter’ or Far Worse? Trump’s Lewd Language, Analyzed by Psychologists

...In an initial statement made on Friday, Trump passed off his words as “locker room banter” and “a private conversation that took place many years ago,” adding that “Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course.” Early Saturday morning, he released a video, stating: “I’ve never said I’m a perfect person nor pretended to be someone that I’m not. I’ve said and done things I regret and the words released today, on this more than a decade old video, are one of them.”

But the experts we spoke with are concerned that such attitudes and language can perpetuate violence against women.

“The language that Trump used was typical ‘bro talk’ in which men talk to other men about women as if they (women) are sex objects rather than fully human,” Sarah Gervais, PhD, associate professor of psychology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, tells Yahoo Beauty in an email. “When you describe women only in terms of their sex appeal or reduce them to their sexual body parts, you render invisible their humanity.”

She points out that the tone of Trump’s “banter” may also be harmful to female self-confidence. “Research from our lab shows that when women are treated in objectifying ways, they start to see themselves as sexual objects and feel more body shame, heightened anxiety and safety concerns,” says Gervais. “Seeing this type of behavior from our leaders (even if they say that it is only ‘locker room’ talk), reinforces the notion that women are and should be treated as sex objects. It is highly problematic for the way men see women as well as how women see themselves.

Experts went as far as saying that this sort of language, when used by a leader, could potentially contribute to attitudes of violence against women.

Neil Malamuth, PhD, is a professor in the University of California-Los Angeles’s Department of Psychology who studies the causes of sexual aggression. He tells Yahoo Beauty that the type of comments made by Trump and the attitudes that seem to underlie them “clearly are similar” to the measures of attitudes supporting violence against women that his research has consistently shown to contribute to men’s sexual aggression against women...

“We found, as predicted, that men who are more prone to commit acts of sexual aggression in the real world in this context did express in how they talked to women — hostility, put downs — anger at their rejection,” Malamuth notes. “This one study shows the activation of that kind of aggression that can be expressed in words.”

Malamuth notes that the individuals we choose to lead our country are those who we feel can represent our “best qualities” and become role models for ourselves and our children. “If our best qualities are conducive to violence against women, it certainly doesn’t help create a climate that would reduce violence against women and if anything might contribute to a social climate that, at a societal and individual level, facilitates and encourages violence against women.”...

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/locker-room-banter-or-far-far-worse-trumps-051412839.html

Bet if a stranger walked up to a female Trump supporter, walled her, grabbed her crotch and stuck his tongue down her throat, she wouldn't be on TBR defending the practice. She'd be filing charges for sexual assault.

Offline LottieDah

Locker room banter belongs in the locker room and not in the Oval Office.  We already had an occupant there who treated the Oval Office like a bedroom in a frat house.  We do not need another.

Online libertybele

I am not a man, but I suspect this is well beyond most locker room banter.  And the setting was not a locker room.  AND he was bragging about past behavior.  So it was a confession of actual behavior, not just talk.

It was an admission of sexual assault.  He has certainly not displayed any self restraint against demoralizing and demeaning women since he began campaigning. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I am not a man, but I suspect this is well beyond most locker room banter.  And the setting was not a locker room.  AND he was bragging about past behavior.  So it was a confession of actual behavior, not just talk.

I am familiar with two types of locker rooms. The barracks and the gym. Either place talking like that would get you a serious beating.

Guess golf has less class.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online corbe

So what if a woman went up to Trump and grabbed him by the b....   Let's say it is a very fat woman.  What would he do and say?

Or Mr. Orange OK with the LGBTPU agenda, how about if a man went up to him and grabbed him like that?

He does it all the TIME.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

I am familiar with two types of locker rooms. The barracks and the gym. Either place talking like that would get you a serious beating.

Guess golf has less class.

I wonder how Obama's golf games go?   :shrug:

Oceander

Offline Norm Lenhart

He does it all the TIME.

well he has no medical degree. So on top of his other issues,he's apparently a homosexual.

I've been a dude for over 50 years now. I was 'born that way'. Never once have I grabbed another dude's junk and smiled for the camera.

Online libertybele

eewww....disgusting!

Oceander

Bet if a stranger walked up to a female Trump supporter, walled her, grabbed her crotch and stuck his tongue down her throat, she wouldn't be on TBR defending the practice. She'd be filing charges for sexual assault.

Definitely.  The rest of us would be standing by to "teach" that stranger some manners if need be.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
It was an admission of sexual assault.  He has certainly not displayed any self restraint against demoralizing and demeaning women since he began campaigning.

Don't forget either that Donald Trump is actively fighting the charges refiled last Friday over the rape of a 13 year old at a Jeffrey Epstein party.  Alleging that both Trump and Epstein raped this girl.  She has a new witness.  People tried to poo poo this but I think this latest tape shows his character.  Not to mention the rehashing of the Stern tapes describing his own daughter as a sex object.  It doesn't help him.

Should we all just accept that our country should be run by rapists and criminals?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:35:17 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Norm Lenhart

I think he is going for Bill's hand.  The picture was just snapped before he got there.  However with Trump, who knows.

Just callin what I see. looks like he's grabbing his package.

HonestJohn

Don't forget either that Donald Trump is actively fighting the charges refiled last Friday over the rape of a 13 year old at a Jeffrey Epstein party.  Alleging that both Trump and Epstein raped this girl.  She has a new witness.  People tried to poo poo this but I think this latest tape shows his character.  Not to mention the rehashing of the Stern tapes describing his own daughter as a sex object.  It doesn't help him.

Should we all just accept that our country should be run by rapists and criminals?

Trump's a Mexican?

:tongue2:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:43:06 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline LadyLiberty

Very interesting.  I found this analysis to be interesting as well:

‏@leahmcelrath
Trump's statement is an eerie replica of psychological  manipulations made by abusers after episodes of abuse.

Let's break it down.
RETWEETS

11:39 PM - 7 Oct 2016
7,093 retweets 9,667 likes
Reply   Retweet  7.1K   
Liked 9.7K 

@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
1. "I'm not perfect" = you're expectations I behave like a human being are unreasonable

1,337 retweets 2,598 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.3K   
Like 2.6K 

2. "I've never pretended to be someone I'm not" = you fell in love with me so it's your fault

1,224 retweets 2,277 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.2K   
Like 2.3K 

‏@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
3. "this more than decade old video" = it was a long time ago, why the fuss? you're so unreasonable.

1,097 retweets 2,117 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.1K   
Like 2.1K 

‏@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
4. "these words do not reflect who I am" = the reality you just experienced didn't actually happen (gaslighting)

1,431 retweets 2,628 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.4K   
Like 2.6K 

‏@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
5. "I said it...I apologize" = get over it already, I *said* I'm sorry, you're being hysterical

1,159 retweets 2,231 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.2K   
Like 2.2K 

‏@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
6. "I've...my...me...I...I've...me...I...I..." = it's all about me; your needs, feelings, existence don't matter

1,121 retweets 2,356 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.1K   
Like 2.4K 

‏@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
7. "grieving mothers...laid off workers..." = what are you complaining about? you have it good compared to others

959 retweets 1,981 likes
Reply   Retweet  959   
Like 2K 

@leahmcelrath  Oct 7
8. "I pledge to be a better man tomorrow & will never let you down" = I'm sorry I hit you, it'll never happen again

1,409 retweets 2,684 likes
Reply   Retweet  1.4K   
Like 2.7K  https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuOFtSiWEAAmdXA.jpg

Offline Norm Lenhart

Very interesting.  I found this analysis to be interesting as well:

"I Wanna Talk About Me"

We talk about your work how your boss is a jerk
We talk about your church and your head when it hurts
We talk about the troubles you've been having with your brother
About your daddy and your mother and your crazy ex-lover
We talk about your friends and the places that you've been
We talk about your skin and the dimples on your chin