Author Topic: Down Syndrome teacher from Gaza inspires her disabled students  (Read 660 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Down Syndrome teacher from Gaza inspires her disabled students
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:50:59 am »
Down Syndrome teacher from Gaza inspires her disabled students
With unfaltering determination and family support, Heba el-Shurafa has achieved her dream of becoming a teacher

GAZA - Something special is going on in a classroom in the Shujaiya neighbourhood of Gaza city, and anyone lucky enough to be invited to sit in on a class is in for a unique experience. Watching the bond that is shared between young students and their teacher, Heba el-Shurafa, is inspiring; but it is more than just the usual student-teacher relationship. Heba connects with the children on a deeper level. She suffers from Down syndrome, as do they.

Having lived with the same genetic condition as her students, the 27-year-old teacher is uniquely placed to understand and meet the needs of her young charges.

Using all the teaching aids she has at her disposal, classes are basic but interactive and infused with compassion and patience. Shurafa teaches the children maths, religious studies, Arabic, and how to recognise their names written on cards; plus science classes for children in the primary grades.

"I could not be happier. This place is comfortable and I love my students. I like how I say the words and they repeat them after me," Shurafa told Middle East Eye with a contagious grin on her face.

Read More At: http://www.middleeasteye.net/in-depth/features/downs-syndrome-teacher-gaza-inspires-her-disabled-students-1014840119

Uplifting story overall.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Down Syndrome teacher from Gaza inspires her disabled students
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:53:37 am »
Loved it!!!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Down Syndrome teacher from Gaza inspires her disabled students
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »
Heartwarming.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org