Author Topic: OFFICIAL DEBATE THREAD: Trump vs. Clinton September 26  (Read 51054 times)

Offline sinkspur

OFFICIAL DEBATE THREAD: Trump vs. Clinton September 26
« on: September 26, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »
OFFICIAL DEBATE THREAD:  Trump vs. Clinton September 26

Post all pre-debate, debate, and post-debate commentary on this thread.

The only rules are to keep it clean and let's be respectful of each other.

Remember, also, that all forum rules apply here.

Helpful Note From Mod1:

We expect this thread to become very busy tonight, so here's a useful hint to Members posting here.  Disable the "Warn on new replies" feature.  This will prevent the pink warning flag that repeatedly pops up when you're trying to post to a busy thread.  Here's how:

1)  Click "Profile" and select "Account Settings."
2)  Hover over Modify Profile and select "Look and Layout."
3)  Check the checkbox labeled "Don't warn on new replies made while posting."
4)  Click "Change Profile" button at the bottom of the page.

That's it!  Then return to this page and have fun!  (While being polite.  More than one of us will be watching!)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:02:46 pm by Mod1 »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: OFFICIAL DEBATE THREAD: Trump vs. Clinton September 26
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »
Clinton to use a custom lectern to reduce height difference with Trump

more
http://nypost.com/2016/09/25/clinton-to-use-a-taller-lectern-to-shrink-height-difference-with-trump/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:33 pm »
What time does it start?

The debate begins at 9 p.m. EST. and is scheduled to last for 90 minutes, with no breaks.

Where is it?

The debate will be held at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. The university has previously hosted presidential debates in 2008 and 2012.

Who is moderating?

NBC’s Lester Holt will be the moderator. This will be the host of NBC Nightly News’s first time moderating a presidential debate.

Holt faces pressure as the first moderator of the general election cycle and the challenge of wading through a likely unpredictable debate. His colleague, Matt Lauer, got ripped by fellow media members and both campaigns when he hosted a recent commander-in-chief forum.

Trump has also been very vocal about Holt’s upcoming performance. The GOP nominee said he respects Holt, but falsely accused him of being a registered Democrat and warned of unfair debates. Trump also advised Holt not to fact-check.

What topics will they cover?

The three topics announced are “securing America,” “America’s direction,” and “achieving prosperity, which signals the debate will largely hinge on questions surrounding national security and the economy.

At least 30 minutes of the debate will be focused on national security. The debate comes in the wake of two explosions in New York and New Jersey as well as a stabbing in Minnesota.

What are the rules?

The debate will have six 15-minute segments, with two segments focusing on each of the three topics. Trump and Clinton will each have two minutes to respond to questions posed by Holt.

Who is carrying it?

The debate will air on all of the broadcast and cable news networks as well as C-SPAN, Univision and PBS.

It will also be streamed online and Hofstra University provides a list of outlets that will likely stream it.

What's the size of the debate audience?

The debate will be held in the David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex, which is a 5,023-seat arena on the university’s campus.

The debate commission won’t know the size of the audience until Monday, after the set is complete and the fire marshal signs off. A Hofstra spokeswoman estimated there will be about 1,000 people in attendance. Hofstra University students can receive tickets through a lottery system and the parties and campaigns also get a number of tickets they can divvy out.

For those who can’t physically attend, some experts predict that more than 100 million people could be watching the debate, the largest audience in presidential debate history.

What does the debate mean for Clinton and Trump?

Clinton goes into Monday with a narrow polling advantage, but the race has tightened since both parties held their conventions.

Debating is Clinton’s strong suit, but she faces the difficulty of going toe-to-toe with Trump, who was known for personal attacks and veering away from policy during primary debates. The former of State has prepared for different versions of Trump’s personality.

Trump also has a lot to prove during Monday’s debate as he tries to showcase a more presidential and professional side. He’ll have to prove he can keep up with Clinton’s knowledge and flex his foreign policy muscle especially with the first debate’s heavy emphasis on national security issues.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 02:13:13 pm »
I'm pulled two ways here:

One, this could make for some great TV...depending. Hillary's health and stamina, her cough, etc...any one or all could show up;

Two, there's just no telling about Trump. He will probably be embarrassing at times and he might be rough around the edges. Maybe he'll say some stuff and push back like everyone else seems afraid to.

SOMETHING's going to happen tonight, I strongly expect.

But I just cannot bear the thought of watching ANYTHING with Hillary Clinton in it for 90 seconds, much less 90 minutes!

I'll probably just catch the clips afterward. That way I can watch what I want to watch.

C
"That's all I can stands; I can't stands n' more!"

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 02:33:24 pm »
I have to work until 9:30- DVR set- I don't want to miss a minute- anything can happen. Special podium for Hitlery. I hope there is equal treatment of candidates and no Candy Crowley moments.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
Will Hillary take Lenny to the rabbit farm? Will Trump pour water on the Wicked Witch of the West? Find out in America: The Reality Show!

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 03:21:13 pm »
I have always preferred  to listen to the debates on the radio rather than watch them on the tube and go back and read the transcripts afterward to get away from the staged gotcha moments. Seeming as how I don't want to hasten my dotage with the visual trauma of peering at the two worst candidates in history for 90 minutes, I plan to take the family to a local sports bar, have a couple of beers and watch the games.

I'll possibly read the transcripts later, most likely much later, after full blown dementia sets in, but I'm not going traumatize the visual cortex tonight and hasten the process...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:23:59 pm by montanajoe »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24:25 pm »
OFFICIAL DEBATE THREAD:  Trump vs. Clinton September 26

Post all pre-debate, debate, and post-debate commentary on this thread.

The only rules are to keep it clean and let's be respectful of each other.

Remember, also, that all forum rules apply here.

I'm sure we will have a mature and thoughtful conversation while respecting the viewpoint of others.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:47 pm »
Supposed to be one of the biggest televised events in history.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 03:26:59 pm »
And now, a friendly message from Management":  This thread is for those who seriously want to follow the debate and discuss it. Please no insulting gifs of either candidate or insulting fellow members will be tolerated.
Support the USO

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 03:35:49 pm »
And now, a friendly message from Management":  This thread is for those who seriously want to follow the debate and discuss it. Please no insulting gifs of either candidate or insulting fellow members will be tolerated.

Excellent!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 04:47:38 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/card/clintons-last-minute-debate-prep-includes-affable-trump-n654396

Clinton's Last-Minute Debate Prep Includes an 'Affable Trump'

Hillary Clinton is doing more debate prep at a hotel near her Westchester home today, including mock rehearsals featuring an "affable Trump," NBC News reports.

The planning has evolved away from a focus solely on a more caustic rival, according to reporting from NBC's Kelly O'Donnell. Sources say, "We are betting now that most of our preparations are into dealing with the possible curve-ball that Trump comes out being more subdued."

"She is going to leave nothing on the table. She is best when she over-prepares," a campaign aide told NBC's Andrea Mitchell.

As in previous sessions, long-time former aide Philippe Reines will play Donald Trump in the practice session.

While the Clinton prep team had completed run-throughs with a "combative and bombastic" Trump, there has been in the past day or two a shift to include Reines portraying a "gracious Trump." In this rehearsal, Reines as Trump crafted an opening statement that acknowledged the historic nature of the Clinton candidacy and congratulated her on that achievement of being the first woman nominated by a major party. The Trump stand-in spoke about the importance of breaking this glass ceiling in his faux opening statement.

Clinton has also been preparing for the kind of Trump who could deliver personal insults but her focus during the final stage of preparations is to be ready for a "more subdued Trump."

Sep 26 2016, 11:42 am ET

by Andrea Mitchell
Support the USO

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 06:48:19 pm »
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:48:47 pm by AbaraXas »

geronl

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:58 pm »
I'm not sure I could stomach watching this Democrat Primary Debate

geronl

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 06:51:28 pm »
Supposed to be one of the biggest televised events in history.

Silla in Vanilla....

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 08:05:42 pm »
Question: If Hillary "loses" the debate badly, will a decision be required by the DNC?
IOW if she displays an inability to continue in the debate. Is this the decision point?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 08:33:11 pm »
Will Hillary take Lenny to the rabbit farm? Will Trump pour water on the Wicked Witch of the West? Find out in America: The Reality Show!
I wish you were promoting this event on TV.  That was good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »

No insulting gif's of Hitlery?  :shrug: She's about the only thing we all agree on.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 08:37:55 pm »
No insulting gif's of Hitlery?  :shrug: She's about the only thing we all agree on.

LOL...I know...
Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 08:44:59 pm »
Will Trump hit Cuban with the podium? Will Clinton blame a YouTube vid after her eyeballs cross? Find out on America: The Reality Show!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 08:49:25 pm »

Haha, it forgets about Trump saying something is "really super".

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 08:54:04 pm »
Will Trump hit Cuban with the podium? Will Clinton blame a YouTube vid after her eyeballs cross? Find out on America: The Reality Show!
Sinkspur are you a mod? your a tad anti trump. But I'll probably napping by nine anyhow.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 08:55:32 pm »
I'm sure we will have a mature and thoughtful conversation while respecting the viewpoint of others.

Just to be safe, I'm wearing a cup.  :laugh:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:04 pm »
Sinkspur are you a mod? your a tad anti trump. But I'll probably napping by nine anyhow.

sink is a temp MOD of the debate thread.....he plans to be fair to all members and their positions.
Support the USO