Author Topic: 4 dead in Cascade Mall shooting; search for armed man underway [UPDATED: 5 dead, shooter captured]  (Read 4450 times)

Online NavyCanDo

Still Breaking news here in Western WA.

BURLINGTON, Wash. -- A search is underway for an armed man suspected of killing at least four people in a shooting at Cascade Mall in Skagit County, the Washington State Patrol says.

The suspected shooter was last seen walking towards Interstate 5, away from the mall, Sgt. Francis with State Patrol tells KOMO News.

http://komonews.com/news/local/police-respond-to-possible-shooter-at-cascade-mall
Modified by Mod1 to reflect updated information

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:29:13 pm by Mod1 »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Applewood

I'm sure those right wing nut job gun nuts will be blamed in 3...2...1...

Most malls are dying and it's not just the economy.   Malls have become unsafe and mall owners refuse to spend money on security.  Much safer to stay home and order online.   

rangerrebew

At least 3 shot dead in shooting in Burlington mall near Seattle
Listen | Print
By Marcus Hondro     7 hours ago in Crime
Details are still coming in but Washington State police say that 3, possibly 4 people were shot dead tonight in Burlington, north of Seattle. The gunman remains at large.
Police say the shooting took place inside the Cascade Mall in Burlington. Sgt. Mark Francis of the Washington State patrol sent two tweets about the shooting. At 7:33 p.m. Sgt. Francis wrote: "Active shooter description: Hispanic male wearing grey. Last seen walking towards I5 from Cascade Mall burlington."
Then half-an-hour later at 8:03 p.m. he wrote: "4 confirmed deceased in the mall, shooter(s) left scene b4 police arrived, unknown # of shooter, possibly just 1, police clearing mall now." Later, police said that only 3 were confirmed dead and that another was critically wounded.
Security stills show the man was wearing a dark grey or black t-shirt.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/crime/four-people-shot-dead-in-random-shooting-in-mall-near-seattle/article/475593#ixzz4LAsrwUNg

Offline chae

It's difficult to do online only shopping for clothes if you're a woman. Different companies size clothing differently.  A size 12 pants by "Tripp" translates to a size 16 or 18 depending on the cut of "Baby Phat" jeans. I'm also pretty busty, so I rarely order tops or dresses online. 
Depending on where you get your clothing, unless you get a good deal, the shipping is crazy, and if it doesn't fit returning it is a total hassle.  Just don't go to ghetto malls or malls with several bus stops, or go in the morning and you're usually good.

Offline Applewood

It's difficult to do online only shopping for clothes if you're a woman. Different companies size clothing differently.  A size 12 pants by "Tripp" translates to a size 16 or 18 depending on the cut of "Baby Phat" jeans. I'm also pretty busty, so I rarely order tops or dresses online. 
Depending on where you get your clothing, unless you get a good deal, the shipping is crazy, and if it doesn't fit returning it is a total hassle.  Just don't go to ghetto malls or malls with several bus stops, or go in the morning and you're usually good.

I tend to buy clothes from the same manufacturers all the time, so I don't have a problem with sizing.  Some retailers offer free shipping and they even provide a return label, so if the item doesn't fit, put it back in the box, tape the box, slap the label on it and have one of the carriers pick it up.  Easy. 

In winter I'm mostly housebound, so online shopping has been wonderful for me.  Same goes for people living "out in the sticks" or maybe overseas where they can't get to a brick and mortar store.  Some people don't want the hassle of traffic and finding a parking space, especially around the holidays.  Some people don't like crowds.   Now with constant reports of stabbings, shootings and carjackings, people just find it safer and more convenient to shop in the safety and comfort of their own homes. They will pay the shipping and deal with returns just to stay safe.

Offline mountaineer

"Hispanic," eh? I suppose that means the shooter had something other than WASPy white skin, which doesn't rule out a Middle Easterner. No reports yet of what he may have said during the event.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rivergirl

five women murdered in Macy's makeup department.   

Offline mountaineer

Death toll now 5.

The perp.

Offline Blizzardnh

I tend to buy clothes from the same manufacturers all the time, so I don't have a problem with sizing.  Some retailers offer free shipping and they even provide a return label, so if the item doesn't fit, put it back in the box, tape the box, slap the label on it and have one of the carriers pick it up.  Easy. 

In winter I'm mostly housebound, so online shopping has been wonderful for me.  Same goes for people living "out in the sticks" or maybe overseas where they can't get to a brick and mortar store.  Some people don't want the hassle of traffic and finding a parking space, especially around the holidays.  Some people don't like crowds.   Now with constant reports of stabbings, shootings and carjackings, people just find it safer and more convenient to shop in the safety and comfort of their own homes. They will pay the shipping and deal with returns just to stay safe.
I just ordered a radiator for the wifes jeep off of ebay. It was $50 cheaper than anything local and free shipping.I can't remember the last time I went to a mall.

Online NavyCanDo

I'm sure those right wing nut job gun nuts will be blamed in 3...2...1...

Most malls are dying and it's not just the economy.   Malls have become unsafe and mall owners refuse to spend money on security.  Much safer to stay home and order online.   

Washington malls are still quite busy, though the large majority of people seem to leave without packages. When we go its hardly ever with an objective to buy something. Maybe go see a movie and walk around the mall to kill som time. The Cascade Mall is popular with Canadians, who will drive down from B.C.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:52:06 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At first, they seemed to have an idea of who the suspect is; now, Neil Cavuto on Fox was saying the authorities do not know who this is.

At first, too, it sounded a bit like the jilted boyfriend kind of act, yes, grossly and sickly excessive; but now, who knows what we are looking at.

Online goatprairie

I know people concerned about invasion of privacy dislike the trend to put cameras almost everywhere, but it has caught countless perps since they've been installed. This guy's mug was probably caught many times on different cameras in the mall.

In my hometown of La Crosse, Wi a few years ago there was a double murder of an owner of a camera store and his son. The perp had waited in a room inside the store until the store closed and all the customers were gone. He then shot and killed the owner and his son and stole thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment.   
One of the main reasons they caught him was the camera store had security cameras outside the store. The police scanned the film and saw the perps van and license plates. They then went to the guys home fifty miles away, searched the house, and found a lot of camera equipment which they traced to the shop. The guy was convicted of the murders and is now serving a life term.

Offline Applewood

I just ordered a radiator for the wifes jeep off of ebay. It was $50 cheaper than anything local and free shipping.I can't remember the last time I went to a mall.

Haven't done Ebay, but I confess to being an Amazon junkie.  Free shipping on many items, particularly if you subscribe to Prime, and in my experience, customer service has been outstanding.  And I'm amazed at the stuff I can find on Amazon.

Offline Applewood

I know people concerned about invasion of privacy dislike the trend to put cameras almost everywhere, but it has caught countless perps since they've been installed. This guy's mug was probably caught many times on different cameras in the mall.

In my hometown of La Crosse, Wi a few years ago there was a double murder of an owner of a camera store and his son. The perp had waited in a room inside the store until the store closed and all the customers were gone. He then shot and killed the owner and his son and stole thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment.   
One of the main reasons they caught him was the camera store had security cameras outside the store. The police scanned the film and saw the perps van and license plates. They then went to the guys home fifty miles away, searched the house, and found a lot of camera equipment which they traced to the shop. The guy was convicted of the murders and is now serving a life term.

I'm all for cameras.  Screw the privacy thing.  We live in dangerous times.  Anything than can prevent crime or catch the perp after a crime is committed is fine with me.

Offline mountaineer

5 Quick Details About Mass-Shooting At Cascade Mall in Burlington, WA
By Officer Blue On September 24, 2016
Blue Lives Matter

On Friday night, a man entered the Cascade Mall in Burlington, WA and started shooting people. The attack was planned and deliberate, but a motive is unknown at this time. Here are 5 quick details about the shooting:
5. The Cascade Mall Shooter Appears To Have Acted Alone

There’s no evidence that anybody besides the lone shooter was involved in the attack.

4. Five People Were Killed

There were initially many different news outlets reporting different numbers of victims. It has now been confirmed that the shooter shot and killed five people. Four of the victims were dead on scene and one died later after being transported to the hospital.

3. Four of the Victims Were Women at the Macy’s Makeup Counter

Four of the victims were female, and one was male. The shooting occurred at the Macy’s makeup counter after the suspect went straight there and started shooting the women there.

2. The Cascade Mall Shooter Was Armed With A Hunting Rifle

Surveillance video shows the shooter arriving at the mall and walking through Macy’s with a hunting rifle in his hands. An image taken from the security footage was released (see above.) The suspect clearly arrived at the male with the intent to murder. This shooting might harm the narrative that “assault rifles” are responsible for mass shootings, or it could just be used as an excuse to ban all firearms.

1. He Is Still On The Loose!

At the time of this writing, the shooter has successfully evaded capture. The suspect left prior to police officers arriving and nobody has seen him since. The identity of this sick killer is still unknown, but he’s believed to be a young Hispanic male. Anybody with any information on this suspect is encouraged to call 911 immediately before he kills again.
I rarely go to an indoor shopping mall, but am usually armed (irrespective of any NO GUNS sign that may be posted). As chae said, it's difficult for women to buy clothing without trying on the items. Thankfully, I hate to buy new clothes!  ^-^

Offline TomSea

With last weekend's events, I wonder if this was some sort of "random" (as some reports are saying now) incident and maybe even a "random" terrorist attack, late on a Friday,  go to a Macy's (often in the corners of malls), do your deed and leave. It's almost like they are on a cold trail now.

"Burlington mayor vows to ‘bring the son of a b**** to justice’"
http://q13fox.com/2016/09/24/burlington-mayor-vows-to-bring-the-son-of-a-b-to-justice/

As earlier I saw only that one picture and the reports saying this guy "appeared" to be a Hispanic, with this picture, just me personally, I could wonder if he's Pakistani or something.

He's young enough, you'd think someone would say "Oh, I went to High School with this guy"; last night, there was some of a twitter buzz per reading other forums, giving an Indian (as in Hindu, Subcontinent) type of name.

Go in, with relative anonymity, make the hit and leave.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:58:19 pm by TomSea »

Offline livius

He doesn't look Hispanic to me, and a male Hispanic would not generally blow away four women, two of them elderly, at a perfume counter; if he was mad at his girlfriend, he might stab her, but he sure wouldn't come in armed for bear and kill female bystanders.

REmember that the police are now describing ME-looking men as "Hispanics" - they did this in Orlando, San Bernardino and most recently in NYC.  Anything to protect the Muslims from their own actions - I guess Hispanics don't rate as high on the PC scale so they can casually be accused of terrorism with no fear of anybody's objecting.

Aside from that, I suspect that this was a Muslim "honor killing," and that the reason none of the names of the victims have been released is that at least one of the younger women has a Muslim name and was the sister or possibly even wife of the killer.

This is, of course, pure supposition, but to me it makes a lot more sense than other scenarios...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:39:37 pm by livius »

Offline mountaineer

I quite agree, livius (as indicated by my post above). When the perp's skin tone is a bit darker than lily white, let's just call him Hispanic, even if he's from Egypt or Syria.

Of course:
Police believe the suspect acted alone, and the FBI said it has no indication at this point that the shooting is linked to terrorism.

"We have no indication this was a terrorism act," Michael Knutson, assistant special agent in charge of the Seattle FBI, said at the press conference. "There is no evidence to support that."

But Knutson cautioned, "I cannot discount it."

Mount Vernon Police Lt. Chris Cammock said the motive for the deadly shooting is unknown.
ABC News
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:53:01 pm by mountaineer »

Offline livius

in the brief few moments during which reporters got to people exiting the mall (before the press was effectively gagged), someone who had been in the store said they heard him say what sounded like a girls's name.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If this guy proves to be middle Eastern, Obama will likely say he was simply protesting, as is his right.

Same guy who is protecting the terrorist network by vetoing the bill protecting the Saudis from being sullied with terrorism ties in US courts.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

He doesn't look Hispanic to me, and a male Hispanic would not generally blow away four women, two of them elderly, at a perfume counter; if he was mad at his girlfriend, he might stab her, but he sure wouldn't come in armed for bear and kill female bystanders.

REmember that the police are now describing ME-looking men as "Hispanics" - they did this in Orlando, San Bernardino and most recently in NYC.  Anything to protect the Muslims from their own actions - I guess Hispanics don't rate as high on the PC scale so they can casually be accused of terrorism with no fear of anybody's objecting.

Aside from that, I suspect that this was a Muslim "honor killing," and that the reason none of the names of the victims have been released is that at least one of the younger women has a Muslim name and was the sister or possibly even wife of the killer.

This is, of course, pure supposition, but to me it makes a lot more sense than other scenarios...

Recall that ME terrorists are slipping through the border guised as Hispanics.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

Between my old eyes and a grainy photo, I couldn't be able to say for sure what the perp's ethnicity is.  Dark features are common among various ethnic groups, including those you would not expect.   One example:  We think Germans are all blond, blue eyed and fair complexioned, but my father's side of the family -- Austrian German -- had several members with  black or dark brown hair and dark complexions.  On the other hand, my Italian mother was blond.  The point is that we just don't know about this guy.  And with all this secrecy and the media's penchant for coverup and omitting facts, we may never know.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
in the brief few moments during which reporters got to people exiting the mall (before the press was effectively gagged), someone who had been in the store said they heard him say what sounded like a girls's name.

Was the name Allahu?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline livius

Yeah, I wondered about that too.

Offline TomSea

https://twitter.com/KOMOnews

You have to go to twitter, this is not reported in the mainstream news yet but it is from KOMO news twitter,

Person of Interest arrested 30 minutes ago, I've heard more but I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:24:51 am by TomSea »