Author Topic: Trump's bizarre ad strategy: It's less than 50 days until the election and his television advertisements have all but vanished.  (Read 803 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: POLITICO

URL: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/donald-trump-ad-strategy-228505

By STEVEN SHEPARD

It’s seven weeks before Election Day, five days before the highly anticipated first debate, and Donald Trump’s television advertisements have all but vanished.

Trump’s ads last ran nearly a week ago in four battleground states: Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Since then, the GOP presidential nominee has ceded the airwaves to Hillary Clinton — and is only poised to launch a limited, less-targeted ad campaign in the days before next week’s debate.

While his campaign announced a new ad on Tuesday, it’s only going to run on national cable news stations and during two Sunday morning public-affairs shows, according to data from The Tracking Firm, a company that monitors media buys. And even with that seemingly modest buy — the full extent of which wasn't clear on Wednesday night — Clinton is still outspending him this week many times over.

“It’s unprecedented for a major-party nominee in this century to have such an on-again, off-again TV buy,” said Elizabeth Wilner, a former TV-network political director who, until last month, monitored political advertising for Kantar Media/CMAG.

The strategy has perplexed political media buyers who aren’t affiliated with the campaign. Trump’s campaign is underfunded compared to Hillary Clinton’s — his campaign had only $50 million on hand as of Aug. 30, according to documents filed with the Federal Election Commission Tuesday night — but Trump’s failure to advertise consistently threatens the efficacy of his entire paid media campaign, limited as it is.

The political media buyers, including Republicans who declined to be named in criticizing the nominee, warned that the effects of television ads are fleeting, and any benefit Trump might get from putting his paid advertisements in front of voters can be undone with time if those messages aren’t reinforced.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Online roamer_1

As an aside, This is my first election since I went to internet TV and got rid of cable.
I haven't seen a single, solitary political ad of any stripe.
And, having tuned the dial to my favorite country station, as I have eschewed talk radio, at least through this season...

Bliss. I tell you, it's bliss.

Offline Applewood

Actually, Trump's ads have been almost non-existent in my area compared to pro-Clinton and anti-Trump ads for the last several weeks.  Being housebound for a few days, I counted 12 Hillary ads in an hour, compared to 2 Trump ads.   Please don't revoke my membership here, but I confess I like the Hillary ads better than Trump's.  Very well produced and very effective.  Trump's are mostly the same tired refrain "Hillary is evil, vote Trump to keep Hillary out of the White House."  No real explanation of what Trump would do better than Hillary.  Perhaps the rumor that Trump is deliberately allowing Hillary to win has some truth to it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:43:36 pm by Applewood »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
I watched a college football game on espn acc network online last weekend.  There was a Hillary ad on EVERY commercial break.  Not one Trump ad the entire game.

Offline sinkspur

Trump hasn't figured out a way (yet) to stick half the ad money in his pocket.  So, he's spending money on rallies and hats, things he can funnel services from to his own companies and get a cut.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:14:00 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ConstitutionRose

My granddaughter was looking at one of those junk things....20 Famous Celebrities Who Have Lost Their Looks....something like that while we waited at the dentist.  Every other click brought up a Trump ad which you had to wait for 4 seconds before you could close it and go on.

She showed them to me.  They were basically the same ad with a different set of words:  "Let's go", "Ride on Trump's plane", etc.

No TV ads here either.  Plenty of Hillary ads though.  Most of which include Trump's own words and all of which make him seem like a completely out of control, full-blown, raging nut case.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Even the most politically out-of-touch LIV's I know are aware that Trump is running and seem to be following the media roller coaster. Not sure how many ads he needs to run right now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bolobaby

No no no...

Haven't you been to the Trump Safe Space in this forum yet? They gush over all the bestest political ads ever that Team Trump creates.

(...and then post on youtube to be viewed on a voluntary basis, but that's it.)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trojan Stalking Horse folks.

Explains a whole lot.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online libertybele

Actually, Trump's ads have been almost non-existent in my area compared to pro-Clinton and anti-Trump ads for the last several weeks.  Being housebound for a few days, I counted 12 Hillary ads in an hour, compared to 2 Trump ads.   Please don't revoke my membership here, but I confess I like the Hillary ads better than Trump's.  Very well produced and very effective.  Trump's are mostly the same tired refrain "Hillary is evil, vote Trump to keep Hillary out of the White House."  No real explanation of what Trump would do better than Hillary.  Perhaps the rumor that Trump is deliberately allowing Hillary to win has some truth to it.

I have thought that since Trump started his attacks against Cruz and at that time never went after Hillary. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline Longmire

I watched a college football game on espn acc network online last weekend.  There was a Hillary ad on EVERY commercial break.  Not one Trump ad the entire game.

How did that make you feel...more or less inclined to vote for Clinton?

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Thought exercise:

Lets assume that Trump is actually Clinton's stalking horse.

What happens if it becomes obvious that Trump will wind?  By that, I mean for this exercise, Trump would be favored in multiple races by greater than the margin of error and in enough states to win with more than the 270 required.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Thought exercise:

Lets assume that Trump is actually Clinton's stalking horse.

What happens if it becomes obvious that Trump will wind?  By that, I mean for this exercise, Trump would be favored in multiple races by greater than the margin of error and in enough states to win with more than the 270 required.

Okay, this whole Normalcy Bias thing about 'winning' national elections is pretty disconcerting, especially after all the ridiculous, over-the-top documented fraud in 2012.  You saw your last "Legit" national contest back in 2008 for certain.  If Trump *wins*, it's not because our voices matter - but because the string-pullers decided to keep the illusions running while longer while there's still fleecing to be done.

That said, being an Occam's razor fella - how does one go from this:

From funding the Clintons, the Schumers, DeBlasio and every Liberal Left agenda item to suddenly declare them the great evil destroying the country and voting for Trump will 'make America great again'???  Why does Trump continue to hit Conservatives who will not kiss his ring and barely touches Hillary?

Even if Hillary has to drop out because she's dropped dead from whatever sickness or drugs they got her on, and Trump is seated in the Gilded White House - the Leftist agenda will continue under Trump and under the GOP, whom has simply decided that they are better managers of giant, large Statist controlled central government.

We've already lost this election as far as Constitutional Conservatism goes.  Trump was the wrecking ball Hillary needed to clear the filed of any real perceived 'threat' to her taking the throne, and the Establishment in DC has embraced Trump if even reluctantly because he alone has rendered Constitutional Conservatives irrelevant, perhaps for all time.  Hillary couldn't do that - and neither could Obama… but a Trojan Horse, certainly could and did.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775