Author Topic: Man perfectly demonstrates how to not act in front of a bear  (Read 848 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Man perfectly demonstrates how to not act in front of a bear
« on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:03 pm »
http://mashable.com/2016/09/20/man-tries-to-scare-bear-bottle-rockets/#LHkGbGS49mqb
BY BRIAN KOERBER September 20, 2016

With warmer months coming to an end, bears and other animals that hibernate are trying to pack on as much weight as they can before winter. Which means that bears may be a little bolder than usual.

Recently, Willem Zuur of New York had a long encounter with a younger black bear which ended up on his property in search for some food. While Zuur eventually did scare away the bear, his interaction is a perfect example of what not to do when you see a bear.

While black bears are less aggressive than grizzly bears, they have been known to attack humans and have killed upwards of 60 people since 1900. While this number may seem low, black bears are not an animal you want hanging around your yard, especially if you have young kids like Zuur....
http://mashable.com/2016/09/20/man-tries-to-scare-bear-bottle-rockets/#LHkGbGS49mqb
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Man perfectly demonstrates how to not act in front of a bear
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »
The number of days till this man has one of those 'some days the bear gets you' days has gone done a bit statistically. Incidentally the wisdom I have always heard is don't bother to play dead with black bears they will just eat you if they are already attacking. They aren't as aggressive as grizzlies but they aren't teddy bears either.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline goatprairie

Re: Man perfectly demonstrates how to not act in front of a bear
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 01:57:45 pm »
Bears are now much more common in my part of Wisconsin. I live in a very hilly, wooded area of the state (western Wisconsin), and there are now actual bear colonies in these hills. Every now and then one them goes for a jaunt in residential neighborhoods or even the closest city.
 A few years ago one young male bear ran into a nearby city park filled with picnickers. The bear panicked and ran up a tree. The DNR was called out to handle the situation. Since they didn't have a tranquilizer gun, the DNR people decided in the  interests of public safety to shoot the bear.  Many people were upset, but if the bear had run over some people while trying to escape, the city would have been sued.