Author Topic: Face of Defense: Football Player Trades Cleats for Combat Boots  (Read 450 times)

rangerrebew

Face of Defense: Football Player Trades Cleats for Combat Boots
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
Face of Defense: Football Player Trades Cleats for Combat Boots

By Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Anthony Leite Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

SAN DIEGO, Sept. 19, 2016 — A star athlete found success on the field and the basketball court, but he joined the Marine Corps to find success in life.

“I just realized I wanted to do something bigger for myself,” said Pfc. John R. Porchivina, Kilo Company, 3rd Recruit Training Battalion here. “I was just sitting around doing nothing. I could go to school and play football, but how is that benefiting anybody else but me?”
Lance Cpl. John R. Porchivina, Kilo Company, 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, stands outside his squad bay at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, Aug.

The 20 year old grew up in Novato, California, with a loving and supportive family that included his mother, father, brother and sister. He played football, baseball and basketball, but decided to commit most of his time to football, his favorite sport. He played in the Pop Warner league and at Casa Grande High School.

http://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/948117/face-of-defense-football-player-trades-cleats-for-combat-boots
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:44:24 am by rangerrebew »