Author Topic: (Politico) Cruz’s conundrum: Help GOP save the Senate?  (Read 7188 times)

geronl

Re: (Politico) Cruz’s conundrum: Help GOP save the Senate?
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2016, 02:29:53 am »
No problem for the "principled" Cruz to have a rally with Trump, be allies with Trump, move his immigration stance closer to Trump.  So, Cruz was fighting harder against Trump than anyone? Yeah, we see that.

Ted had the same position when he first ran for Senate in 2011, back when Trump wanted open borders and praised the DREAMERS

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2016, 02:31:43 am »
Who you vote for is your own business. I don't care. Got that?

The question is have *you* got that @aligncare.  What you post going forward will provide the answer, reasoned and intellectually honest pro-Trump-vote arguments in the mode of @Maj. Bill Martin and @don-o , or continued snark?
James 1:20

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2016, 02:44:36 am »
Ted had the same position when he first ran for Senate in 2011, back when Trump wanted open borders and praised the DREAMERS

Last I checked, Donny is back to his 2011 position.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2016, 03:44:46 am »
The question is have *you* got that @aligncare.  What you post going forward will provide the answer, reasoned and intellectually honest pro-Trump-vote arguments in the mode of @Maj. Bill Martin and @don-o , or continued snark?

I know of no logical way that anyone could square 'reasoned' and voting for any documented liberal. The two are mutually exclusive concepts. Supporters of a liberal are by definition, supporters of liberalism. It can't be any other way.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2016, 06:43:35 am »
I know of no logical way that anyone could square 'reasoned' and voting for any documented liberal. The two are mutually exclusive concepts. Supporters of a liberal are by definition, supporters of liberalism. It can't be any other way.
Just as evil is evil, lesser, greater, it all serves the same master.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2016, 11:39:52 am »
Perry will be the next senator from Texas, Texans don't like backstabbers who break promises.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2016, 11:44:30 am »
Did I say something that was incorrect?

Constantly.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:47 am »
So, let me get this straight. #NeverTrump hates Donald Trump so bad they're willing to accept a Hillary presidency for 4 or 8 years, so that Ted Cruz is set up in 2020 or 2024 to swoop down from on high, on the backs of heavenly Angels, and be elected president to save America. Have I got that right?

As usual, nope.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2016, 11:47:35 am »
Perry will be the next senator from Texas, Texans don't like backstabbers who break promises.

You're not from Texas, are you?
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2016, 11:51:40 am »
If you count going to Washington and keeping your promises to your constituents and holding your leadership to their promises ANTAGONIZING, then let me buy you a new dictionary.

Cruz is the author of the best single piece of advice in this election year - vote your conscience.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 11:52:36 am »

Perry has backtracked during his time as Governor as well, as those of us who live here know.
More times over than Cruz.

BTW, I thought this Cruz fella was irrelevant now?
There sure seems to be a lot of people talking about him today on various TBR forums, for some one who is so irrelevant, that's pretty odd!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:53:15 am by GrouchoTex »

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 11:52:43 am »

Governor Goodhair has quite the record of liberal policies dating back to when the democRATs ran our legislature.  Of course any actual Texan would know that.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2016, 11:57:30 am »
Cruz is the author of the best single piece of advice in this election year - vote your conscience.

Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience.
-George Washington

Offline CSM

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »
Who you vote for is your own business. I don't care. Got that?

Hahaha!  Your actions speak much louder than these 13 words.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:34:51 pm by CSM »

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2016, 01:27:32 pm »

There are a few who have reached the conclusion, perhaps with reluctance and definitely with acknowledgement of his manifest shortcomings, that they must support Trump in the hope that he will be better for the US military.  While I don't share in that hope I do respect it, as I respect those who express it with fairness and tact, and I won't reduce their position to a label.

Offline CSM

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »
There are a few who have reached the conclusion, perhaps with reluctance and definitely with acknowledgement of his manifest shortcomings, that they must support Trump in the hope that he will be better for the US military.  While I don't share in that hope I do respect it, as I respect those who express it with fairness and tact, and I won't reduce their position to a label.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.  I think it is entirely consistent for folks to cast a vote for Trump based on the very narrow scope of a couple of issues, so long as they are honest in their approach.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:32 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.  I think it is entirely consistent for folks to cast a vote for Trump based on the very narrow scope of a couple of issues, so long as they are honest in their approach.

The only people I question are those who say they will vote for Hillary or Stein. I'm no fan of Johnson, but he was a two term governor of NM. I'm still holding out hope that Trump will consistently act more Presidential from now until November, but the trend isn't good.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline CSM

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »
I'm still holding out hope that Trump will consistently act more Presidential from now until November, but the trend isn't good.

I have to admit that he does seem to be acting more Presidential lately, and that is a good thing for him and his supporters.  My problem is that I just don't believe it.  I think his change in behaviour has Roger Ailes' fingerprints all over it and in the future, if Trump wins, he will go back to his lunatic self.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »
I have to admit that he does seem to be acting more Presidential lately, and that is a good thing for him and his supporters.  My problem is that I just don't believe it.  I think his change in behaviour has Roger Ailes' fingerprints all over it and in the future, if Trump wins, he will go back to his lunatic self.

And I'm with @CSM here.  Trump has had some good things to say in recent weeks, things I believe myself.  The problem is that his trend of rambling narcissistic lunacy is already so well-established that it can't be overcome in my mind.  It is completely obvious that he is simply reading words that others have put in front of him, or attaching his name to written statements provided by others, rather than saying what he actually believes.

I have no problem with someone using speechwriters and media coaches to craft the message.  My problem is when the candidate obviously cares nothing for the message or is ignorant of its meaning and implications because his prior, independent statements included no portion of the message or even contradicted it.  A "bolt on" platform, recited on cue for political expediency, simply doesn't cut it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »

Great advice, Cruz. Especially since it was given at the Republican nominating convention! Vote your conscience and help Hillary Clinton becomes president and destroy your nation for the next two generations. "But, you'll feel good about yourself!" Stupid advice, Cruz. Everyone votes their conscience.

But he make sure everyone got the idea. "Let's all divide the vote" and give the worst, and most liberty-dangerous Democrat ever a good shot at the White House.

Dumb advice, Cruz, dumb. For being so smart, you were really dumb and butthurt at the convention. It was obvious for everyone to see: sour grapes.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2016, 02:38:06 pm »
Vote your conscience and help Hillary Clinton becomes president and destroy your nation for the next two generations. "But, you'll feel good about yourself!" Stupid advice, Cruz.

Two things that liberal Statists HATE, whether they be Hillary/Obama's Marxists or Trump's militant Populist Nationalist fascists; they hate your exercise of liberty and they hate that anyone would follow their conscience if it does not bow down and support their Dear Leader.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »

Yeah.  Trump has such a high opinion of the military.  Why just last night, on O'Reilly, he said this:

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline CSM

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2016, 02:49:58 pm »
Great advice, Cruz. Especially since it was given at the Republican nominating convention! Vote your conscience and help Hillary Clinton becomes president and destroy your nation for the next two generations. "But, you'll feel good about yourself!" Stupid advice, Cruz. Everyone votes their conscience.

But he make sure everyone got the idea. "Let's all divide the vote" and give the worst, and most liberty-dangerous Democrat ever a good shot at the White House.

Dumb advice, Cruz, dumb. For being so smart, you were really dumb and butthurt at the convention. It was obvious for everyone to see: sour grapes.

Conservatives have been begging the African American community to stop their blind allegiance to the D party and to start voting their conscience.  But now we want folks to have blind allegiance to their party and to not vote their conscience. 

It gets so confusing.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2016, 02:50:50 pm »
Stupid advice, Cruz. Everyone votes their conscience.

If his advice was so mundane that everyone will do it anyway, then why was it stupid and objectionable?  It can only be objectionable if you advocate that people vote against their own conscience, in which case your statement contradicts itself because you've plainly stated that "everyone votes their conscience."

So was Cruz's advice in fact not objectionable since everyone votes their conscience, or do people not vote their own conscience hence his advice is objectionable?  Which part of your position do you choose to maintain?

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2016, 02:51:59 pm »
Conservatives have been begging the African American community to stop their blind allegiance to the D party and to start voting their conscience.  But now we want folks to have blind allegiance to their party and to not vote their conscience. 

It gets so confusing.

Inconsistency is one of the few areas where Trump is consistent.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.