Author Topic: NY Times, Washington Post editors: We'd risk jail to publish Trump's tax returns  (Read 1658 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

NY Times, Washington Post editors: We'd risk jail to publish Trump's tax returns
By Eddie Scarry (@eScarry) • 9/12/16 12:49 PM

Editors at the New York Times and Washington Post both say they're willing to risk jail time if it meant they could publish Republican nominee Donald Trump's tax returns.

Asked during a forum Sunday at Harvard University if they would publish Trump's tax information, should they get their hands on it, Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet and Post Associate Editor Bob Woodward said they would.

Baquet reasoned that Trump is "a presidential candidate whose whole campaign is built on his success as a businessman and his wealth," and that making that information public would be in voters' best interest, according to CNN.

"Some things you have to do," said Woodward. "Dean is exactly right. This defines Donald Trump."

Trump has insisted that he is currently under a federal audit and that he would release his returns once the audit is complete. But he's indicated that they might be released only after the November election.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ny-times-washington-post-editors-wed-risk-jail-to-publish-trumps-tax-returns/article/2601541
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline beandog

I wonder if they'd be willing to risk jail to publish the Beasts true medical records, which are more important to the election than the Donald's tax returns.

Offline ConstitutionRose

So let it be done.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I've never understood the demands for candidates to release their tax records.  Documents related to their eligilbilty, sure, but I can't think of any reason why their tax records are any of my business.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It is funny how an 18 year old kid who wants to join the army has to disclose more and have a more detailed background check through MEPS than someone applying for the job of their Commander in Chief.

Offline ABX

I've never understood the demands for candidates to release their tax records.  Documents related to their eligilbilty, sure, but I can't think of any reason why their tax records are any of my business.

Eligibility versus qualification. Eligibility is part of the 'are you able to even apply for this job' and is the outlined in the Constitution.  Qualification for the office is what the voters determine and more and more, people like clear and transparent backgrounds.

Think of it this way. You are eligible to apply for a mortgage. You have to release your tax returns and financial data in order to qualify and be approved for one.

As I stated in the post above, during Army enlistment, an 18 year old goes through the FBI MEPS background check which not only looks at criminal history, it dives into financial data as well. It seems only logical the voters would expect that much disclosure, if not more, from someone applying to be their commander in chief.

Online corbe

Welcome to the Forum @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

His Tax Records would prove 2 things we ALREADY know about him:

He overvalued this NET Worth (Brand TRUMP is not worth 5 billion dollars) and he is not worth 10 billion.

Like most Liberals he donates hardly anything to Charity.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:24:16 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

He overvalued this NET Worth (Brand TRUMP is not worth 5 billion dollars) and he is not worth 10 billion.

Simple way to look at it. What he does with his own money and his own business is a good indicator if what he is promising you now is the truth.

After all, this is a man who said he will lie to your face to close the deal. So judge him by his actions, what he does with his own money and his own business.

Online corbe

I wonder if they'd be willing to risk jail to publish the Beasts true medical records, which are more important to the election than the Donald's tax returns.

@beandog

He's gonna have his pecker friend over at the Pulitzer wanna-be National Inquiry print up hellarys records soon.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

They did publish the #DNCLeaks emails. They were and still are, pretty damning.

Eligibility versus qualification. Eligibility is part of the 'are you able to even apply for this job' and is the outlined in the Constitution.  Qualification for the office is what the voters determine and more and more, people like clear and transparent backgrounds.

Think of it this way. You are eligible to apply for a mortgage. You have to release your tax returns and financial data in order to qualify and be approved for one.

I don't have a problem sharing my financial information with a party which is considering lending me a boatload of money (though in my limited experience I've never needed to share tax records to get/refi a mortgage).  They want proof that there's a very good chance I'll pay them back.  They'd be negligent (IMO) if they didn't require it.  But for a candidate asking for my vote, I just don't see it.  I can see why the MSM would want to pick all over said records, but as a voter I feel I can make up my mind without that info.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ConstitutionRose

I don't have a problem sharing my financial information with a party which is considering lending me a boatload of money (though in my limited experience I've never needed to share tax records to get/refi a mortgage).  They want proof that there's a very good chance I'll pay them back.  They'd be negligent (IMO) if they didn't require it.  But for a candidate asking for my vote, I just don't see it.  I can see why the MSM would want to pick all over said records, but as a voter I feel I can make up my mind without that info.

So can I.  Make up my mind without, but I always  find it enlightening.  I wasn't very comfortable with Romney in many ways but his tax records did tell me a lot about his character.  I do want to see Trump's records.  I want confirmation of my assessment of the man or information  that requires me to reevaluate that assessment.  Trump is a master at the publicity game.  Any records that help identify the real man are valuable to voters.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Tax records won't tell us anything about net worth, only income (although they would provide some clues unless he's a complete moron).  They also can't tell us anything about charity except what he chooses to deduct -- he could be one of the most charitable people in the country and simply not choose to make it publicly known (stop laughing at me, I'm just saying it's possible).

Online corbe

@beandog

He's gonna have his pecker friend over at the Pulitzer wanna-be National Inquiry print up hellarys records soon.

Offline SirLinksALot

Will they risk jail to show us Hillary's Health Records?

geronl

No jail risk involved, the IRS says there is no problem with the returns being released

Offline Night Hides Not

Trump's tax returns would say a lot about the man, and how he conducts his daily affairs. With his affiliations with hundreds of business entities, you could more definitively say what his net worth is, and not have to take his word for it.

IMO, if you want to be President, I want to see everything...
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

Tax records won't tell us anything about net worth, only income (although they would provide some clues unless he's a complete moron).  They also can't tell us anything about charity except what he chooses to deduct -- he could be one of the most charitable people in the country and simply not choose to make it publicly known (stop laughing at me, I'm just saying it's possible).

You're wrong, see my earlier post regarding his business entities. Every partnership, LLC, and Sub-S tax return issues a Schedule K-1, which shows the capital position of each partner and shareholder. From there, you can piece together the amounts to arrive at a good estimate of his net worth.

I prepared tax returns for a living for the better part of 25 years, to include wealthy families with multiple layers of trust accounts for heirs. I also prepared hundreds of business tax returns, to include publicly traded corporations. My superiors at the FDIC relied on me to evaluate the financial position of those seeking to modify/restructure business loans assumed from failed institutions. That analysis consisted of reviewing multiple years of tax returns, often revealing unusual transactions within capital accounts. In one situation, an offeror's bid increased from $17 million to $28 million within 48 hours after I raised questions about their tax returns.

They still got a good deal, the original loan was $40 million, but that was before commercial real estate values collapsed in 2008. Our job at the FDIC was to maximize the return of funds to the Deposit Insurance Fund, not managing loan portfolios.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Longmire

Both these "institutions" need to be burned to the ground.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
His tax returns would tell us he was wealthy. For the media, they can count on the ignorance of the sheeple and their need to explain the items to us. That gives them the chance to tell us of the "unprecedented, disturbing and dangerous" nature of the items.

I imagine that Trump funnels his charitable giving through a foundation. Also, tax returns do not tell you how much someone gives to charity. It tells you how much they CLAIM on their return that they gave to charity.

The worst thing we could find is that Trump donates to liberal groups, like BLM.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Longmire

The fact that Trump doesn't use email is driving them crazy, and if the IRS leaks his tax records they're toast.

Offline Night Hides Not

The fact that Trump doesn't use email is driving them crazy, and if the IRS leaks his tax records they're toast.

The fact that Trump relies on Twitter drives me crazy.  ;)

Online corbe

If the House votes to impeach Internal Revenue Service Commissioner John Koskinen, He may have the last laugh and RELEASE Trumps Tax returns.  He's a Democrat he knows he's not going to JAIL.

HonestJohn

Both these "institutions" need to be burned to the ground.

Arson, much?

Offline Longmire