Author Topic: Trump, Conservatives, and the ‘Principles’ Question  (Read 608 times)

Offline unknown

Trump, Conservatives, and the ‘Principles’ Question
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:33:41 pm »

Trump, Conservatives, and the ‘Principles’ Question

Dennis Prager
September 6, 2016

Never Trumpers need to admit that the Left and Hillary Clinton pose a threat to America's survival as the country it was founded to be.

All Never Trump conservatives maintain that their decision to never vote for Donald Trump is guided by their principles. I have no doubt that this is true.

But some of them — though by no means all — seem to imply, or at least may think, that conservatives who vote for Trump have abandoned their principles. Indeed, the charge of compromising on principle is explicitly leveled at Republican politicians and members of the Republican “establishment” who support Trump.

I cannot speak for all conservatives who are voting for Trump, but I can speak for many in making this assertion:

We have the same principles as the Never Trumpers — especially those of us who strongly opposed nominating Trump; that’s why we opposed him, after all. So almost everything that prevents Never Trumpers from voting for Trump also troubled us about the candidate. (I should note that some are less troubled today.)

So where do we differ?

We differ on this: We hold that defeating Hillary Clinton, the Democrats, and the Left is also a principle. And that it is the greater principle.

{.. snip ..}

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump, Conservatives, and the ‘Principles’ Question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:15 pm »
If not voting for Trump means that I'm helping Hillary, then the converse is true:  Not voting for Hillary means that I'm helping Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:32:50 am »
So where do we differ?

We differ on this: We hold that defeating Hillary Clinton, the Democrats, and the Left is also a principle. And that it is the greater principle.

{.. snip ..}

Oh, bullcrap. Somebody needs to go figure out what a principle is.

geronl

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:20:10 am »
Trump IS of the left

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:10:57 am »
I like Dennis Prager and I don't doubt his sincerity.  I have only heard him as a guest host on Rush's show, but I'm predisposed to give him the benefit of the doubt, and would only comment
1 Peter 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul

A deep hatred of Hitlery is poor reason to align with demons.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:10:39 am »
SSDD.

I think you are obsessed with the fact that we don't like the turd sandwich you made.

"Why won't you love me?!?!?"

It's getting laughable.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:51:51 am »
Trump IS of the left

@geronl

I wouldn't put him in the same leaning as Sanders, but he is alot closer to Hillary on many issues. He wants to outspend her as he has himself stated for starters

His supporters, however, tend to be closer to the progressive mindset than they want to admit. They would be ok with Universal Healthcare as long as it's Trumpcare. Should Trump win and our debt and deficits continue to rise, I doubt you'll hear then complain about them as they did when they went up under BHO. Should a President Trump continue to grab more power for the Executive Branch and issue many Executive Orders, he will do it with the cheers of his supporters. Many of the same who were critical of BHO doing it,BTW.

In summary, you are either for a limited, Constitutional government, or not. You can't be for one only when a Democrat is president. That's called hypocrisy.  And many of us who either are definitely not voting for Trump or who are, at least highly skeptical of him, aren't the ones who are abandoning their principles.

This article is just another, "vote Trump or a giant meteor will hit Earth" scare tactic.

If one chooses to vote for Trump simply because HRC is unacceptable, that's one thing. But expect to constantly having to hold his feet to the fire on these issues. His tendencies are towards the Democrat side on many issues
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:16:44 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 12:17:50 pm »
I opened up my browser yesterday and saw, side by side, two articles.
One was on Hillary flip-flops, and the other was on Trump flip-flops.
The interesting thing was these didn't go to the way back machine to find them.
They just took this campaign alone.
The trump flip-flops were just from June 2015, when he announced, up to current day.
At the end of the day, I may vote for the Republican Flip Flop artist over the other Flip Flop artist, just to stop the Democratic one, if I vote in the Presidential race at all.
Still not happy that is where we stand.

Also, yesterday someone called me a "p___y"  on twitter for not voting for Trump.
I haven't closed that door yet, but these militants don't make it any easier.

Yep, that convinced me! I must vote for Trump now that I've been called a part of the female anatomy!
What is wrong with these people?

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:43 pm »
But some of them — though by no means all — seem to imply, or at least may think, that conservatives who vote for Trump have abandoned their principles. Indeed, the charge of compromising on principle is explicitly leveled at Republican politicians and members of the Republican “establishment” who support Trump.

I've never been treated that way.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.