Author Topic: America Is German, Facts On America's Crazy Heritage.  (Read 1148 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
America Is German, Facts On America's Crazy Heritage.
« on: September 06, 2016, 04:32:13 pm »
America Is German, Facts On America's Crazy Heritage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxH2K6tg5Q
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: America Is German, Facts On America's Crazy Heritage.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 05:00:24 pm »
Sorry 10 seconds of that clown and I couldn't tolerate any more.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:06:52 pm »
Sorry 10 seconds of that clown and I couldn't tolerate any more.

LOL, I sat through it. It didn't get any better. It sounds like a 6th Grade social studies project... "Some famous German-Americans include Dr. Seuss... Some famous African-Americans include Michael Jackson....."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:41:21 pm »
I hope he means germanic instead of German. Many of those 'Germans' were actually from Prussia (such as my gg-grandparents), Austria, and Bavaria and many others, which were all germanic but independent countries. Not to mention others that were germanic components in other countries such as Switzerland.

By the time Germany became an actual state, millions of 'Germans' had already made their way to the USA.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:45:26 pm »
I for one welcome our new master race overlords.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:47:49 pm »
I hope he means germanic instead of German. Many of those 'Germans' were actually from Prussia (such as my gg-grandparents), Austria, and Bavaria and many others, which were all germanic but independent countries. Not to mention others that were germanic components in other countries such as Switzerland.

By the time Germany became an actual state, millions of 'Germans' had already made their way to the USA.

Kind of like the old fallacy he and many others do when they divide out European-Americans into distinct cultural groups of nations but then lump all African-Americans into one cultural group from a continent even though the latter can be just as diverse as the former.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 05:51:46 pm »

Mine as well.

In fact there used to be a Pickelhaube helmet in the family that had made to trip to the new world at around the turn of the last century but no one seems to know where it is now.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 05:58:11 pm »

I doubt there is any standard definition, of what criteria are used for grouping. Unified modern Germany didn't exist, until the late 1800s, for example. Prior to that, it was "Bavaria," "Prussia," etc.

But there is a cultural, linguistic, identiy parameter which is useful.

At the time these groups migrated to the Americas, they thought of themselves as "Irish" for instance. Census records in America classified people, based on self-identication.

People said "Irish," "German," etc. A person from Northern Ireland, that today would call himself "Scots-Irish" would have only stated "Irish" in the 18/19th century.

So the categories in the short video are valid, for those they describe.

(In linguistics, "Germanic" languages include English, German, Swedish, Dutch to name a few.)

The DNA is very similar for Spaniards, and many Englishmen. But the culture, language, national identities are different.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln